Buck Rogers Pistols

pennausamike

Sr Member
I decided to take a break from my Firefly/Serenity prop building by doing...
...a whole lot more of basically the same.
fireflyprops.net ? View topic - When is a Break from Firefly Prop Building....

And also, I took on a 1980's Buck Rogers pistol that I got from the RPF Junkyard.
I think I have a pretty good idea where this casting came from, and I understand why it was up for sale.

Copy_of_a_zpse2e16d5b.jpg

Fortunately, given all the huge voids and misaligned halves,
I have stock in the Bondo autobody putty corporation.

Copy_of_b_zps3343734d.jpg

Well, not really; but I did do a LOT of "spread-on, sand-off" to fill holes and even planes.

brpistol012_zps93675514.jpg

I also sawed off and drilled out the impossible excuse for a barrel
and machined the the upper left block doo-hickey and a pocket in the casting to accept it.
The final modification was to replace the front sight blade and
machine a rear sight in the casting so the pistol could be aimed. (Seen in a pic of the completed prop.)

brpistol011_zps1d6ca7a3.jpg

Given the resin castings awful origin, I think it came out OK.

buck_rogers01_zps274d4657.jpg

I realized after I machined the barrel to match the cut off cast barrel that it was too long,
but at that point I had more work in it than I was willing to re-do
for what was meant to be a quick and simple project.

buck_rogers02_zpsbfd1ec85.jpg

While I was finishing this ugly duckling up, I saw another "challenge" project come up on eBay,

buck_rogers04_zps4173f69f.jpg

A barn-find 1940's era Buck Rogers pistol.

buck_rogers05_zps3530c780.jpg

I realize after blasting it and getting it apart that I wish I hadn't taken this one on, BUT, too late now...

Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

I've been busy with a lot of non-hobby projects
(yuck, actual grown up responsibility stuff)
but I have managed to make a LITTLE headway on my barn-find Buck Rogers pistol.

next021JPEG_zps94ada5dc.jpg

I got it apart, blasted everything (making LOTS of rust holes and pits) and applied a first layer of bondo.
I also pulled the stamped steel fins off and machined replacements out of brass.
I also wanted to upsize the pistol to fit an adult hand, so I lengthened the barrel
and added one more ring to the grip, with a brass cap.

next019JPEG_zps0980429f.jpg

Now comes the part that usually bogs my projects down for (weeks/months/years),
tedious puttying and sanding.

I'm debating whether to design a brass-and-painted-steel sight for the thing,
but I AM sure of the final color scheme; dark hunter green and polished brass.
VERY retro!

Mike

Well, what do you know; I haven't updated this thread in 5 years.
In the meanwhile, I've added another 1970's Buck Rogers pistol to the collection, (not ready to be shown, yet)
and made a little progress on the not-one-but-two 1930's Daisy pistols.

DSCF5862_zps3wwkqsne.jpg

I did a good bit of work on the Buck Rogers pistol until I just couldn't stand sanding it any more.
So I painted and assembled it.
I also latched on to a Wilma Deering pistol that was in need of a little TLC. So I blasted, modified and painted that, as well.

DSCF5863_zps1qxyufqh.jpg

Since the last pics I took, I machined a Solo-esque brass and steel sight for the Buck Rogers pistol.
The targeting info is projected on the "glass" part of the sight. (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.)

DSCF5864_zpsg46paghg.jpg

The Wilma Deering pistol is basically stock except for the (still in need of some final touchup) faux pearl grips.
I still have to make a pair of stands and put together display for the pair of pistols.

The last of my Buck Rogers pistols will be one of these (origin of screen-used prop image unknown)

hero%2001_zpsl9hrt3ya.jpg

made by this eBay seller out of England

new%20br%20pistol%2001_zpshmzloskb.jpg

the original castings are a little rough and not particularly accurate (but far as I know, the only game in town)

last%20br%20pistol%2001_zpshdxgb3cv.png

so I modified the shape closer to screen-used, added a rear sight, and machined the "blade" that runs along the top of the barrel.

last%20br%20pistol%2002_zpsxwyvcsl4.png

I have also made three of the four stands to display my thirties and seventies Buck Rogers pistols, along with a few other display items.

It doesn't matter here, but the firing guns from the TV show had holes drilled into the center of the clear emitters. This was to transmit the light from the flash tube.

David.

As always, brilliant work. I especially like the green and brass BR pistol.

That screen used piece you have a picture of above blew me away. I had heard they were vacuformed but geez, seeing it like that just blew my mind.

Cheers,

Ted.

As always, brilliant work. I especially like the green and brass BR pistol.
That screen used piece you have a picture of above blew me away.
I had heard they were vacuformed but geez, seeing it like that just blew my mind.
Cheers,
Ted.

Thanks for the kind words from all who offered them.

I have a few thoughts on the seventies era Buck Rogers pistols.
First would be that props often look different than they present on screen, and that often the props look cruder in person than our eyes see them on screen.
But having said that, I think the Buck Rogers hero and stunt props are quite possibly the worst looking prop weapons I've ever seen.
This is the back side of the screen-used pistol above

hero%2004_zpstdzt8ywf.jpg

and here is the top of a "bad guy" pistol

brpistol07_zps7hmmvivq.jpg

that became the 2nd season Directorate, and I think, Hawk pistol.

brpistol05_zpsgeruwnly.jpg

Which leads to my second observation; because the Buck Rogers prop pistols were so flimsy and light weight, they didn't "handle" like real weapons on screen.
I see this at times on low budget and fan films where airsoft pistols are used.
It is hard to fake heft in a weapon; I'm not sure any amount of acting can replace a weapon that just weighs what it "should".

So, my two pet peeves about prop weapons are, weapons that are unrealistically light, and rifles, especially military use rifles, without slings.
Anyone who has humped a weapon any distance over some terrain knows how indispensable a sling is.

Mike

The last of my Buck Rogers pistols will be one of these (origin of screen-used prop image unknown)

hero%2001_zpsl9hrt3ya.jpg

made by this eBay seller out of England

new%20br%20pistol%2001_zpshmzloskb.jpg

the original castings are a little rough and not particularly accurate (but far as I know, the only game in town)

last%20br%20pistol%2001_zpshdxgb3cv.png

so I modified the shape closer to screen-used, added a rear sight, and machined the "blade" that runs along the top of the barrel.

last%20br%20pistol%2002_zpsxwyvcsl4.png

I have also made three of the four stands to display my thirties and seventies Buck Rogers pistols, along with a few other display items.

I picked up one of these pistol kits. Looks a little small to me but you are correct... only one I know of available at this time.

pennausamike

Its interesting you say I think the Buck Rogers hero and stunt props are quite possibly the worst looking prop weapons I've ever seen.
Then you proceed to build up a replica kit into a work of art. The buck rogers toy guns are cool too especially your modifications.
Are you considering doing the buck rogers tv gun based on the match o matic lighter also?

pennausamike

Its interesting you say "I think the Buck Rogers hero and stunt props are quite possibly the worst looking prop weapons I've ever seen."
Then you proceed to build up a replica kit into a work of art. The buck rogers toy guns are cool too especially your modifications.
Are you considering doing the buck rogers tv gun based on the match o matic lighter also?

Thanks for the kind words about the idealized Buck Rogers pistols that I built. As far as the match-o-matic lighter pistol, despite my tendencies towards being a completist collector, I have resisted building one of the little lighter pistols. I never say "never", but that one will likely never happen :)

Thanks for the kind words from all who offered them.

I have a few thoughts on the seventies era Buck Rogers pistols.
First would be that props often look different than they present on screen, and that often the props look cruder in person than our eyes see them on screen.
But having said that, I think the Buck Rogers hero and stunt props are quite possibly the worst looking prop weapons I've ever seen.
This is the back side of the screen-used pistol above

View attachment 983682

and here is the top of a "bad guy" pistol

View attachment 983683

that became the 2nd season Directorate, and I think, Hawk pistol.

View attachment 983684

Which leads to my second observation; because the Buck Rogers prop pistols were so flimsy and light weight, they didn't "handle" like real weapons on screen.
I see this at times on low budget and fan films where airsoft pistols are used.
It is hard to fake heft in a weapon; I'm not sure any amount of acting can replace a weapon that just weighs what it "should".

So, my two pet peeves about prop weapons are, weapons that are unrealistically light, and rifles, especially military use rifles, without slings.
Anyone who has humped a weapon any distance over some terrain knows how indispensable a sling is.

Mike
HI, the image of the GOLD Buck Rogers gun was taken by me (that's my kitchen table) - I used to own several BUCK original props. The gold blaster was sold to a big time collector a few years ago! - I've attached a couple photos from that old (table-top) shoot! ~cm

Attachments

• buck_gun 008.jpg
    buck_gun 008.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 103
  • buck_gun 001.jpg
    buck_gun 001.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 101
The photos of the other screen-used Buck Rogers prop gun (the dark one with the electrical tape) are some of mine. Somewhere here on the RPF is a thread where I showed off my screen-used Buck props if you search. I had to sell that particular hero gun years ago, but I kept all my other originals. Here's a recent photo i took of most of them, almost all rubber ones except for one little hero working fiberglass pistol. Most of the time on that series, if you saw a pistol without a light effect, it was probably one of the rubber versions. I kind of prefer the rubber ones for that reason and because, frankly, they are a little nicer looking in person today than some of the ones with the tape falling off, etc. Incidentally, while many of the early BR hero prop guns were vacuum formed plastic, there were several fiberglass shell hero props made early on, including at least one Earth Directorate laser (Wilma uses it in the pilot to confront Buck in the hangar bay--you can tell it's a fiberglass one because you can see a deep screw hole on one side) and two working fiberglass Draconian pistols (the one Buck steals and shoots at Tigerman in the pilot is one--if you freeze frame it or look at the Fotonovel with its frame grabs, you can see the electrical cords coming from the prop and going up Buck's sleeve). Anyway, I obviously love talking about this stuff, but here are my props:
IMG_2735.jpeg

I want one of the SO bad, The only place I can find one is on Etsy and his casts are SO bad it’s not worth putting the work in. Anyone know of another source?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back