District 9 Assault rifle finished pg. 5

Ziga

Hey guys,

some time ago I started building the Assault rifle from District 9 and recently picked it up again. I am making it out of wood - maple and mdf, using some amount of layering. It has a good solid heft as it is now.

Reference:
d9assaultrifleclrg.jpg

Progress so far:
SDC14090.JPGSDC14203.JPGSDC14271.JPGSDC14274.JPGSDC14279.JPG

And this is where I'm at the moment:
SDC14283.JPGSDC14287.jpg

I'm keeping it pretty screen accurate but I did change a few minor details to make it easier to build.
I'll update as I progress.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited:
Re: District 9 Assault rifle WIP

Great work so far mate, This is coming out very Nice!

would love to see more photos for sure! what is that Darker Wood, that you are creating the top profile with! ?

Great work so far mate, This is coming out very Nice!

would love to see more photos for sure! what is that Darker Wood, that you are creating the top profile with! ?

Thanks. The darker wood is 4mm MDF.

Cool deal..! This looks good i am also working a gun....my first gun so its even more interesting to see similar builds, i love how yours is coming so far..,

I made the two top canisters and cut the details into all three canisters. The two big ones have threaded rods and screw into nuts in the gun, because I want them to be separable after the gun is finished. I also engraved the panel line on the foregrip, which may have been premature if I'll be spraying the gun with spray filler.
And I started on the optical targeting system thingy.

SDC14289.JPGSDC14291.JPGSDC14292.JPGSDC14293.JPGSDC14295.JPG

This looks beyond incredible. Amazing work my friend. Really wish I'd been around when this movie was released. You have done an amazing job on this piece. Cannot wait to see this completed. Nice job.

That is a beautiful build so far, and some beautiful tools. District 9 has some of my favourite gun designs in it, It just hurts to know that weta used laser cutting and cncs routers to produce.. cause i will never own such equipment! Very well done looks awesome!!

That is a beautiful build so far, and some beautiful tools. District 9 has some of my favourite gun designs in it, It just hurts to know that weta used laser cutting and cncs routers to produce.. cause i will never own such equipment! Very well done looks awesome!!

Thanks. D9 really does have impressive weaponry. You do find some silly features on a gun like this (the canister on he front end for example), but it still looks great. I like the colors too.

This project was (kind of) started and propagated by new machines I added to the workshop. A year ago I got a lathe and I looked back on the project ideas I thought too complex before, and this assault rifle was one of them because of all the cylindrical parts. Soon after I started building it I put it on the back burner because of school. I was drawn back to it 'cause I finished my CNC router and had a simple way of doing all of the little details (and some of the details on the mdf parts al a bit wonky because I was doing them a year ago mostly by hand).

awesome, i have just finished my degree and was so used to having a workshop full of machinery and coming back home i barely have anything! hopefully with a bit of income i will be able to build on my tool collection. A lathe is next on my to buy list as i wanna make a canister for the fallout gun i'm making atm. Nothing like have nice tools!

I didn't put a lot of hours into the build this weekend, because I didn't have much time. I made some progress on the targeting device and I made the barrel for the front. I used aluminum for the barrel, cause I didn't have any plastic of the right diameter.

SDC14301.JPGSDC14302.JPGSDC14304.JPGSDC14308.JPGSDC14309.JPGSDC14310.JPGSDC14311.JPGSDC14312.JPG

:eekAw man! I'm so itching to try something like this. Can we have some more hours in the days please!:lol

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back