District 9 Assault rifle finished pg. 5

Re: District 9 Assault rifle WIP

This is one o' those projects that I've wanted to tackle myself. :) This will definitely be inspirational. :D

I thought that looked like a DIY CNC. Awesome. Great to see you used aluminum for the barrel. Being a metal worker and carpenter by trade, tis is a win all the way.

Thanks Ziga for the information on the cnc router
When I see this kind of results, it makes me think to build one !

Some truly stunning work working and metal turning skills being used in this build.
It looks great.

I can't wait to see it finished and painted.

Fantastic build. Truly great guns in District 9 and youre doing a great job of bringing them to life. Its good to see wood being used, its a great medium if you have some patience. Can't wait to

I've finally had some time to continue this build the past few days. Big update! I milled the mounting holes for top canisters and dry-fitted those and I think it looks pretty awesome. There are also other detail pieces that are new, most of them held on with tape. With the canisters mostly done, the last large piece still missing is the part under the barrel, which has a complicated shape and I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to make it.

SDC14381.jpgSDC14385.JPGSDC14389.JPGSDC14391.JPGSDC14394.JPGSDC14395.JPG

Great work man!

Loving the detail you're getting out of your CNC. Really makes me want to build one myself...And have a workspace large enough to house it. :/

How are you cleaning up the inside of the routed edges in the outermost detail layer? Paper and file or is the bit cutting that cleanly?

Great work man!

Loving the detail you're getting out of your CNC. Really makes me want to build one myself...And have a workspace large enough to house it. :/

How are you cleaning up the inside of the routed edges in the outermost detail layer? Paper and file or is the bit cutting that cleanly?

Thanks. You know, you could build a desktop CNC. That would fit on your desktop.

Outermost detail layer? I'm not entirely sure what you mean. There holes needed minimum cleaning up, I just lightly sanded the edges with fine sandpaper. Apart from the topmost edges, other cut surfaces need no cleaning up. The fraying of the edges depends on the sharpness of the bit and the hardness of the wood.

I made the piece that goes under the barrel. That was quite tricky and it took me the better part of the day. I even ground myself a custom cutter for the grooves on the side.
And I made the knob and the two acrylic pieces for the targeting device. The acrylic parts will be painted black on the back to look like displays. Not sure if that's what they really are, cause they're just painted as the rest of the targeting device on the Weta replica, but you can see them glowing red in the movie. Anyway, it will look good, which is what's important.
The last picture shows the detail on the front canisters, the recessed part is new. Initially I just planned to paint the shape on the canister, but it wouldn't look right. So I made another slightly smaller cylinder, cut it in half, made the two inserts out of that, cut holes into the canister and inserted the inserts. Took hours, but it improves the look of the gun considerably.

And this concludes the building part of the project. All that is left now is finishing and painting (and, to be honest, cutting some panel lines that I'm not sure I should do before or after filling and sanding).

12282013448.jpgSDC14401.JPGSDC14407.JPGSDC14408.JPGSDC14410.JPG

A real thing of beauty, will this be offered as a Kit ?

Thanks. I will not be offering this as a kit because I'm a molding noob.

I put down the first coat of acrylic spray filler and spent two days sanding the gun. I'm really pleased by the finish I'm getting, another coat of filler and it should be ready for painting (after I cut some panel lines).
SDC14707.JPG

Attachments

• SDC14707.JPG
    SDC14707.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 194

Great work! Maybe someone could help you with the molding to produce a kit? The eBay prices for the Weta ones are sky high, which reflects the demand for these. I'd be in for one for sure. From one noob to another seems pretty straightforward to split a mold straight down the long axis... easy to pull too. Cylinders would be moulded separately of course.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back