Snowspeeder Filming Replica with Working Air Brakes

Awesome Allan ! Glad you finally found away to get them working !

Those arduino boards are so cool, I may order some more for more cool stuff !

Thanks, Julien!

Continuing to work on the build and a few part IDs. I decided to rework the back just a bit, stripped some of the detail and put back correct parts from the Midway, M42, and Scharnhorst. This area doesn't really show once the radiator fins are installed, but I had the time and the kit parts, so there ya go... That part on the face just under the Leopold bit, that sits next to the piston for the lower flaps...that's from the Entex. Of course.

spdr021.jpg

Primed the canopy, then sanded, primed, sanded, etc. It cuts a dashing profile. I used the electronic calipers on the sample MR Speeder I have and measured the thickness of the canopy, then scaled that up. I'm glad I saved my fingers and wrist and had this laser cut. It's .08 styrene, just over 2.0 mm. Once I welded it all together out came the disc sander I got years ago from Micromark (that had never been used) to flatten all the corners and smooth the joins. In the process, I lost some thickness, and I think it matches up to the photo-ref of the canopy pretty well, now.

spdr023.jpg

spdr022.jpg

Unfortunately, I should have used alloy spars installed perpendicular to the canopy to reinforce the upper wing on the port side. TBH, it looked perfectly straight when I welded the hulls together. Alas, I discovered a 3 - 4.0mm concavity on that side to contend with. Which means the forward gun box won't sit flush. I've built up the area with some Apoxie sculpt, and will be cheating the boxes themselves. I started stripping off the detail bits, and placing the kit parts. The front is where this will show the most, so that has to be tidied up, as well. Won't be able to use the fascia that came with the kit. But, I've ID's most of the parts on the front, might have that close enough to show tomorrow.

spdr020.jpg

Yea love that canopy soooo much,another build thread using oiginal kit parts hah,keep up the superb work,love it:thumbsup

Don

Hey Allan, great work on your speeder. Love the working flaps. You beat me to it. I am also using an Arduino to add the animatronics on my speeder. Also nice to see you adding some actual kit parts as many of the greeblies on that kit had scratchbuilt parts. I was going to offer you a canopy because I have an extra one built here that I am not going to use and I don't want to toss it. Also do you have any extra castings of the Entex Porsche part you used on the rear of your speeder?
Keep at it.

One thing i did notice when fitting the Leo parts to mine, ILM have cut it down some.
If you look Allan, seems they trimmed it to sit lower, maybe so the lower flap damper would not foul it? Not even sure it would have fouled it, but yeah, those guys at ILM again!

lee

Thanks, Lee and Don. Oh, and Lee, thanks for the catch on the Leopard bits. TBH, I just counted the number of slats that were visible and never looked at the pic too closely!

Telepathic, thanks for the comments - PM me your address and I'll send you a casting. Maybe we can compare some part finds.

Last edited:
Your bench pics are always so clean... man, do you wear a bunnysuit when you work? I am envious of your work environment/methods. My studio leans more towards the Greg Jein scale of chaotic clutter.

Thanks, Jason. It's kinda like high tide / low tide in my shop. I know I've been working a fair amount when I start to unconsciously clean up. For instance, right now, that same spot on my bench is covered in white resin and green styrene dust, plus lots of little chopped bits to discard.

Hi Allan. Thanks, I'll PM you my address. Lee is not talking of the Leopard parts. Those are perfect, don't touch those. What he is mentioning are the Leopold parts on the sides of the engine box. Those need to be sanded down to approximately 1/4". I am adding one of your pics and what you want to do is remove from the Leopold part what I shade in grey. The parts that are marked with a blue arrow come from the Tamiya Gneiseneu/ Scharnhorst. The part I circled red is from the Flak 52 and the part marked in green is from the Yamato and the brown is from the Walker Bulldog. If you make those changes it is perfect..

Hey, thanks Tele. Use of the 20mm makes sense, as I hadn't seen it elsewhere on the model and it's such a staple. Scharnhorst. I actually considered those, then discounted them. I'm cross-eyed. I had decided to leave those circles in the upper corner alone, but now that I know what they are... :love

So, you've poured a lot of time in on the speeder! You've definitely got the chops for part IDs. Nice to have another member with x-ray vision!

Hi Allan. I have put alot of time in on the speeder. I've stared at pics of this model far longer than I care to admit. Couple of more that I forgot to mention. The brake discs from the Lotus that you are using are the wrong ones. You need parts 37 and 38 for the left and right ones and 42 or 43 for the centre. Also the round parts behind the the brake discs are bogeys from the 25 scale SU100. You are also missing a couple of parts that are situated below the Duster grills and they are from the Gneiseneu\ Scharnhorst also. I'm adding a image of the engine box from my speeder for reference.

Awesome, thanks! Had the JPS discs, but didn't want to dremel the insides of Nick's kit because I didn't have the SU100 ID'd - but, the kit is on the shelf. Looks like it also donates a part to the cockpit I've been looking for, part 11...so, thanks again for pointing me at it. The discs I used just fit and provided a bit more visual depth. Not sure I'll dremel those out, but I am starting to take dimensions for a styrene build. So, one day I'll be here again.

Also, I don't mean to take advantage, but do you know the following parts?

Anything on the base of the harpoon gun?
spdrharpoonbase.jpg

I have the Taiho bits that make up a lot of the front gun boxes, but these three parts are troubling me:
harpbase.jpg

And, finally, on the rear under the wing, there's a "V" shaped bit next to the Taiho turret on the Stuka panel. No idea what the V-shaped bit is. And then there's a piece about some JPS parts to the right.

starskirt.jpg

Harpoon gun base, the bracket looking part is 25 Pdr Allan.
V shaped part, looks like control levers, 1/24, sure its not in the Stuka?
I recall something similar in the Shiden, but thats another era!

Lee

There a v-shaped part in the stuka, but it's too large. Saw it on a kitscan and logged it as the deal, then pulled it and saw how big it is. Shiden's probably too big, too... Running to look at 25lb, thought I had...but, maybe not. :facepalm

Hey guys. The first pic of the harpoon gun base. What a b*****. I have not ID'd all of it. I only know that the 25 pdr donates the U shaped part from the trailer frame. I've added the picture of the harpoon gun, I can't for the life of me find the part I shaded purple. Any ideas? Pic 2 of the forward gun mount, the round part is from the 12 scale Lotus, the square part is from the 312T and the last part is from the churchill crocodile. The V shaped thingie from the last pic is actually 2 parts from the Leopold cut and added to Stuka part up against the Taiho turret, I've added a pic, remove the shaded areas.
Take care guys.

I forgot the last pic Allan posted. The other part is the Scharnhorst part again, same as the six used on the engine box only this time it is top of another part that you can't see very well but could be from the King George.

You're an encyclopedia - thanks! So, the Churchhill donates the cone-shaped part on the gunbox? I'm going to have to scan through that kit again.

Allan, that is the main gun, halves glued together and cut down. Also don't forget to add a short piece of styrene rod to fill in the hole left by the cut. I'm adding a pic, just remove shade area from the parts.
No problem Allan, glad to help.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back