Origins of the AA/SDS Armor

I know many of us will come out with different opinions on this but I am starting to be convinced that AA has used GF or TE parts as a base and made quick bondo changes to the molds to create enough variation to cause some people reasonable doubt. All a good defense needs to do is cause reasonable doubt, it does not need to prove anything one way or the other. That is what my take away is. Thanks everyone for providing pictures. This has been very informative.

In closing, I don't believe all of the parts to be recasts. I think the forearms and shoulders are likely to be AA's. The suit does look nice though. It would be nice to see some pics of someone wearing the new and improved SDS suit.

You've... ...got to be kidding, right?
That is truly earthshattering. :lol A little bigger and maybe you could use it on a postage stamp.

Seriously I have to ask, what signifigance is this speck of an image? What am I supposed to see here?

Originally posted by ANH trooper@Jan 4 2006, 03:56 PM
TE3.jpg

OK,here is a pic TE has just sent me for you all to see.

SDS knee is exactly the same as TE's...no doubt at all.
[snapback]1150849[/snapback]​

From what has been shown so far, I have lost all respect for AA.

I am glad I did not purchase a Suit.

these pics of AA's little additions are great. keep em comin.
AA is such a typical artist. he is just not satisfied with his great work and must continue to modify these original molds. :lol

I don't think he really knows very much about stormtroopers or what makes an ANH suit more or less accurate. I don't think he really cares either. He's gonna make the big bucks anyway.

HonestlyI bet the molds were destroyed after ANH was finished

Originally posted by Trallis@Jan 4 2006, 10:24 PM

I don't think he really cares either.  He's gonna make the big bucks anyway. 

[snapback]1150997[/snapback]​

In GB, if you loose the law suit you have to pay not only your legal fees but the winners as well... So when he most likely looses, he is going to be poorer than Jobe.

Originally posted by RKW@Jan 4 2006, 08:46 PM
Sithlord,

We know the ab plate is not original, that is fact. Now I checked my TE ab plate and mine is rounded like the GF in that area. So unless there is a TE variant out there that I'm not familiar with that matches the SDS one then AA has clearly reworked those areas.
[snapback]1150881[/snapback]​

Ok...but I've not yet seen an original ab plate from the inside....

:cheers,

Thomas

That's true, you haven't. But what you HAVE seen is an original GF ab plate and a recast of a GF ab plate. You don't have to see a non-related original TK ab plate in order to determine if two OTHER abs are copies... :confused

Originally posted by exoray@Jan 5 2006, 12:23 AM
In regards to my above post about tell-tale signs of reworked areas, here is a quicky picture, on the left I have highlighted was to me looks like a dead on sign of bondo that was not sanded 100% smooth, leaving a high edge, on the right is the untouched image...  The shadow/highlight line across the top edge on the "added" feature is clearly visible as well.. It's almost painfully obvious (to me at least) that a glob of bondo was added in this area to change it up from the GF part...
bondo.jpg

[snapback]1150870[/snapback]​

But if this is the inside of the armour, then the "added" features would actually be removed features, as far as the outside of the armour - and hence the buck - is concerned.

I'm not arguing that the picture doesn't suggest that the SDS piece is a modified GF piece, I'm just pointing out that - logically - it can't be "painfully obvious" that a glob of bondo was added, because the picture's actually showing evidence of something having been taken away.

Originally posted by clutch@Jan 5 2006, 12:23 AM
There's gonna be such an empty feeling when this is all over with.
[snapback]1151055[/snapback]​

Actually I think there will also be a lot of hard feelings when all is said and done.

I agree Sithlord, without seeing the inside of an original ANH Ab plate........it's still speculation. I'd like to know the size differences between the GF pieces versus the SDS pieces. Nobody has addressed that and it's pretty critical for this whole investigation.

Dave :)

Originally posted by SithLord@Jan 5 2006, 03:46 AM
Ok...but I've not yet seen an original ab plate from the inside....

I may be working on a faulty assumption of what you mean here -- and if so I apologize -- but here goes...

Point one:

The inside of the GF and SDS ab plates look REALLY close.

We have confirmation from GF that in his view SDS have based their ab plate on his work.

So in the unlikely event that the inside of the SDS ab plate turns out to look like the inside of a real ab plate, the only thing that would prove to me is what an unbelievable job GF did on his sculpt.

Point two:

If the insides of the SDS match a screen used ab plate that doesn't mean that the outsides do. 'cuz they don't.

Point three:

The outside of the GF and SDS ab plates look REALLY close.

We have confirmation from GF that in his view SDS have based their ab plate on his work.

Neither looks bang-on to an original.

Wouldn't the greater likelihood be that the two ab plates that look similar come from the same origins rather than a third ab plate that neither resembles as closely? Occam's Razor and all that?

Point four:

The AB plate has been tweaked since its initial run, ergo the mould was changed.

So are we talking about matching the inside of an original ab plate to the earlier versions of the SDS ab plate or the new and improved version?

Cheers.
TJ

But GF admitted he only changed a few minor details on the "original AB plate he got from TE"......so is it from an original or isn't it??? He said he didn't sculpt the whole abdomen......just a couple details.......we can't have it both ways. If the GF/TE Ab plate was primarily original in origin.......wouldn't it have details found on an original abdomen???? I'm not trying to muddy the waters, but both TE and GF seem to flip flop on the exact details of what they did and what they sold. I'd kinda like to know if we are gonna compare SDS armor to GF armor or any other TE derivative. Who owns the TE "screen suit" nowadays anyway???? That would answer a whole handful of questions wouldn't it????

Originally posted by vaderdarth@Jan 5 2006, 08:38 AM
I agree Sithlord, without seeing the inside of an original ANH Ab plate.

And I would like to see an original Vader helmet before the Vader guys claim recasting... Kind of a double standard isn't it?

The AB piece is a GF part, are you two suggesting that AA took a authentic AB plate mold and rebuilt it to the inaccurate specs of GF's AB plate, then tweaked it just a little more?

Originally posted by exoray+Jan 5 2006, 10:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(exoray @ Jan 5 2006, 10:45 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-vaderdarth
@Jan 5 2006, 08:38 AM
I agree Sithlord, without seeing the inside of an original ANH Ab plate.

And I would like to see an original Vader helmet before the Vader guys claim recasting... Kind of a double standard isn't it?

The AB piece is a GF part, are you two suggesting that AA took a authentic AB plate mold and rebuilt it to the inaccurate specs of GF's AB plate, then tweaked it just a little more?
[snapback]1151210[/snapback]​
[/b]

Exoray, leave it to you to divert the discussion to a completely different character. You know full well alot more trooper costumes were made and it's quite likely that members involved in this very discussion have a screen suit and could provide the details. It's not as likely with an ANH Vader. Half the experts believes there was only one of those. You are comparing Apples to Orangutans...

Originally posted by vaderdarth@Jan 5 2006, 09:38 AM
I agree Sithlord,  without seeing the inside of an original ANH Ab plate........it's still speculation. 
[snapback]1151177[/snapback]​

You could say the same about AA's claims about the rest of his armor and helmets also, unless you've also seen the inside of the original ST helmet molds. So if it's speculation all the way around, why defend his claims with such vigor and attack someone like Gino for his? If you tend to believe AA because it's AA then fine, but then it wouldn't be speculation, would it?

:)

Originally posted by lambotour+Jan 5 2006, 10:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lambotour @ Jan 5 2006, 10:48 AM)</div>
@Jan 5 2006, 09:38 AM
I agree Sithlord,  without seeing the inside of an original ANH Ab plate........it's still speculation. 
[snapback]1151177[/snapback]​

You could say the same about AA's claims about the rest of his armor and helmets also, unless you've also seen the inside of the original ST helmet molds. So if it's speculation all the way around, why defend his claims with such vigor and attack someone like Gino for his? If you tend to believe AA because it's AA then fine, but then it wouldn't be speculation, would it?

:)
[snapback]1151214[/snapback]​
[/b]

Lambotour, I'll grant you that without a screen used ANH suit, that this whole discussion is speculation from both sides. Did I attack Gino??? I must have missed that. :)

Originally posted by vaderdarth@Jan 5 2006, 09:47 AM
Exoray,  leave it to you to divert the discussion to a completely different character.  You know full well alot more trooper costumes were made and it's quite likely that members involved in this very discussion have a screen suit and could provide the details.    It's not as likely with an ANH Vader.  Half the experts believes there was only one of those.  You are comparing Apples to Orangutans...

Different character same topic... With that it's obvious you don't know your Troopers, as it HIGHLY unlikely that inside pictures of a original ANH AB section will be shown if they exist... The fan suits are made from ROTJ parts, a sloppy reworked, recast of the originals... You do realize that the AB in question is a GF original?

You know what would help clear the air about all this TE/GF/Gino stuff???? If someone could show us all explicit pics of the TE suit (every single piece), show us the resulting "unaltered" armor pieces and then show us the alterations TE made before passing on to GF/Gino...or whomever............and then show us pics of what GF altered if any.......same for Gino. I'd personally like to see how different an ANH suit of armor is to a ROTJ suit of armor while we're on the subject. We could all draw a number of conclusions about all this supposedly "uber-accurate" fan made armor and how the SDS compares to what. That would give us the very best idea where each SDS piece comes from.

I suggest this because there are too many discrepancies in the "descriptions of the alterations from each individual involved" I want to see some good descriptive photographs. I'm not insinuating that anyone is lying.........I'm just saying that all parties seem to "contradict" certain points and photos would clarify considerably.

TE, GF and Gino each "sold" their armor as being screen accurate at one time or another and I think it's healthy to see just how "different" these details are from a real screen suit. We know the TE suit exists, so it shouldn't be that hard. If the new "owner" of the TE screen suit, doesn't want to be identified...perhaps he or she will simply send the photos we need to someone he or she trusts (like the person they got the suit from)...

Peace,

Dave :)

Originally posted by exoray+Jan 5 2006, 10:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(exoray @ Jan 5 2006, 10:57 AM)</div>
@Jan 5 2006, 09:47 AM
Exoray,  leave it to you to divert the discussion to a completely different character.  You know full well alot more trooper costumes were made and it's quite likely that members involved in this very discussion have a screen suit and could provide the details.    It's not as likely with an ANH Vader.  Half the experts believes there was only one of those.   You are comparing Apples to Orangutans...

Different character same topic... With that it's obvious you don't know your Troopers, as it HIGHLY unlikely that inside pictures of a original ANH AB section will be shown if they exist... The fan suits are made from ROTJ parts, a sloppy reworked, recast of the originals... You do realize that the AB in question is a GF original?
[snapback]1151219[/snapback]​
[/b]

Flynn, I have at my fingertips, more reference material than you can fathom. There are far more "trooper experts" on this board than TE,GF or Gino. :) The one negative criticism I have about the "Anti-SDS" camp is that if you don't care for the way the discussion is headed........you tend to characterize your opponents as ignorant. It's unfair and it's out of line. If you truly want to get the truth out of this discussion, try to keep it civil. This tone will surely drag yet another SDS thread into oblivion. Let's keep investigating. :)

Peace,
Dave

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back