My BTTF Inspired Bag V2 Page 4

Update.
Poured about 250g of silicone over the letters to make both a mold that will also serve as a template.

252adeda5d281a7aa17409019a151e3f.jpg

Demolded the lid mold
2e5cc30b80e0f1fdd9c6f88670feae39.jpg

And promptly flooded it with resin
ae7cf055c0d8cc531c16c08ecd094798.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

So that nice clear resin might be perfectly ok for clear coating and maybe even embedding objects in but it just doesn't seem to set hard forcastinf. So I am back to original epoxy that I have used many times in the past. This stuff sets rock hard and bounces when you drop it on concrete. The only issue I have with it id that it tends to go slightly yellowish over time. So I added clear blue to part A and this help keep it from going yellow.

Today I have mixed up an end cap on black and the yellow letters.

I have also made the last mold which is the body so hopefully by next week, I will have my first full plastic tube bag.

I have decided that it is best if I just get the clear windows laser cut from Perspex. Originally I was going to cast them, but not going to happen if this water clear won't set hard.

I am working on a polypropylene mat so hopefully the spills will just peel off once they set.
52f61891f7b644db574b988eecbc107a.jpg
254a0ceda4a36acecca77a69624296ea.jpg
c1071556bb6a8828acbf4aa0a3c4c17e.jpg
9899497ea10ef478ad45022ccc2ebd01.jpg

Damn it is hot today so a good thing for exothermic reactive materials.

The silicone I use normally has a 6 hour demold time but due to the heat wave is cured already and I already filled it with resin.
e6819ac8050618d6de39bdee4c6ef75f.jpg

On a side note, this stuff I am using is much lighter compared to the Perspex master parts. An example is the small parts that will be the sides of the handle recess. The Perspex master part weighs 50g. The cast part weighs just 33g. Now think of the size of the larger parts and you understand why I choose to use this stuff.

On a side note, this stuff I am using is much lighter compared to the Perspex master parts. An example is the small parts that will be the sides of the handle recess. The Perspex master part weighs 50g. The cast part weighs just 33g. Now think of the size of the larger parts and you understand why I choose to use this stuff.

Are you still thinking about shipping them as a kit?

Demold time. Both the lid and the body came out nice. The end cap looks good but will need a slight sand at the rim.

This plastic is neat. Very light and right now, a slight bit of flex which is probably a good thing during this stage.

The only thing I need to do is find a more solid yellow. The yellow I have seems to be translucent and after gluing the letters in place, just aren't yellow like they should be. Anyway that part is trivial as the mold used to align them worked out really good.
I will be able to paint them once I find a solid yellow. I do like the raised letters.

The lid was baked last night for three hours. The body has not been baked, rather just cold formed. Yet both parts seem to have the same ridigity.

To ensure that I get really even pours, I have made a 3 point leveling sytem that the rubber molds can sit on. The leveling points are M10 thread adjusted.

I still have to make the handles.

Here are some progress pics.
a96e52e4bf905eb978a97f188ae5b49e.jpg
c0b2934977d51d2cbdca16240e261f9b.jpg
4c9a99576a6e26eb62ef25c88365fdce.jpg

So after wracking my brain on how do this handle for a few hours, I finally came up with a part that will both reinforce the lids as well as be a strong point to lift from.

One part that was brought to my attention was there is a gap between the actual grip and the recess edges. Looking at reference photos, and it looked like the part that holds the handles would have to made from metal (something I didn't want to) and in the end, I came up a part that can be molded and cast in plastic. Off to the Laser Cutters on Tuesday :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back