Hero Phaser Scratchbuild

I spent some time today tweaking my hump
tongue.gif
It was too round like an egg, so I flattened out the sides a bit. Much better.
P1020996.jpg

Molding begins soon.

Just a few more details to finish on the P1. I taped the two bottom parts together and gave them a light sanding, to make sure they lined up with each other.
P1020997.jpg

I made a spacer out of 1/16in styrene sheet. This was sized slightly smaller than the shells, then glued to the face of the rear half.
P1030002.jpg

Then I glued the front part in place. The spacer creates a groove, and allows the bottom to be cut apart while maintaining the size and shape. The extra material can be sanded off.
P1030003.jpg

Here you can see how the bottom shell with the spacer is a bit longer than the top. They will match up after the bottom is separated.
P1030005.jpg

I also added the step that the sight bezel will attach to. I'll give them a coat of Tamiya spray, then they'll be ready for molding.
P1030006.jpg

I sprayed them with Tamiya, to give them a nice hard finish. The sight and wheel cut out lines were a little soft so I masked them again before the last coat. The Tamiya paint doesn't release the tape as well as the primer does, the lines are a little rough but should be OK. They still don't photograph too well.

P1030008.jpg

P1030009.jpg

P1030011.jpg

P1030013.jpg

I made the guide notch for the release, but not the main recess. That can be cut into the finished parts.
P1030012.jpg

Next step is to pour some rubber.

Thanks guys. I have the silicone and fiberglass stuff ready, but I realized last night that I don't have any mold release! I ordered it last night, and some resin to cast the bezel with. It'll be a few days at least until I can mold. Meanwhile I'll make the master for the bezel.

I trimmed it up, and filed a flat area on the edge. This makes a flat joint where the straight frame connects.
P1030034.jpg

I then glued it to a sheet backing and started adding the straight parts of the frame, styrene strips cut and glued on. I just worked my way around until it was boxed in.
P1030035.jpg

P1030037.jpg

P1030038.jpg

P1030039.jpg

Then I cut away the extra backing and trimmed it up.
P1030041.jpg

The I added the outer frame layer, narrower strip glued on.
P1030045.jpg

P1030048.jpg

Again I went all the way around.
P1030050.jpg

After cleaning up, I then rounded the corners. The inner corners first. I made a sanding stick from styrene strip, with sand paper attached with double sided tape.
P1030051.jpg

P1030052.jpg

Scissors trimmed the sand paper close to the edge.
P1030053.jpg

I then slowly sanded each corner, rounding them over.
P1030054.jpg

P1030058.jpg

Then I did the outer corners.
P1030059.jpg

Thanks guys! (No pressure Rob :lol)

I started the P1 molds. I'm following Steve Neill's technique of pouring a thin layer of silicone, then backing it up with plaster. Steve showed that you can brush the liquid rubber up onto the master, and just keep brushing it up until it sets. It takes a while, 40 minutes in this case, but it works. And it saves on rubber, and that stuff's pricey.

I made some mold boxes out of foam board and hot glue.
P1030060.jpg

Then placed the top master in the box with double sided tape.
P1030061.jpg

I mixed up some silicone and drizzled it on. Then I spent 40 minutes slopping it back up as it ran off. This got old really fast.
P1030063.jpg

Eventually it got stiff enough to stay put. A lot of bubbles visible on the surface.
P1030064.jpg

But the underside looks good.
P1030066.jpg

There are bubbles within the rubber, and they make dimples if I flex it.
P1030067.jpg

But it's perfect when relaxed.
P1030068.jpg

I trimmed it up, and placed it back in the box so I can pour plaster.
P1030065.jpg

The bezel mold didn't do so well, it got a few bubbles. I'll redo it.
P1030070.jpg

Thanks. I did a new mold for the bezel, we'll see how it does this time. I poked all the corners with a round toothpick, hopefully that released the bubbles. If this doesn't work I'll do it in clear silicone, so I can see the bubbles.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back