Hero Phaser Scratchbuild

Sorry to leave everyone hanging. I had to redo the P1 bucks. The Bladerunner saw does a terrible job of making square cuts, and the disc sander was no help either in squaring up the cuts. The sander was fine for shaping, but the miter gauge on both are crap. I cut new pieces with a miter saw, much better :)

The P1 is much taller than you may think
closedeyes.gif

P1020967.jpg

Actually I gave each half extra room to work with, the final parts will be cut down.

Here you can see the front bottom part pre cut. By doing this I can shape both parts together, getting the shape and size even, and not worry about cutting the front off afterword.
P1020968.jpg

I started to round over the corners with a sanding drum in my Dremel, then the battery gave out. I'll charge it overnight and continue tomorrow.

The plans are from sunking69, they're available on the TPZ. I've made alterations to them based on the measurements I got.

Shaping and sanding done. Here you see the separate parts.
P1020969.jpg

They were taped together for shaping. This kept everything even, so the parts will line up with each other.
P1020970.jpg

P1020971.jpg

P1020974.jpg

Now I have to seal it, lots of shellac and more sanding.

I made the emitter hump from some scrap wood. Filed/sanded it to shape and glued it to the body front.
P1020981.jpg

Filled in around the seam with Bondo red putty.
P1020983.jpg

And first primer coat. I went kinda heavy on the emitter to help blend it in.
P1020985.jpg

Happy with the P1 masters, I drilled out the mounting points for the details. Just slight depressions to marks the parts. I also drew out the location for the sight and thumb wheel.
P1020986.jpg

Using an old hard drive adapter as a cutting surface, I laid down two layers of masking tape and drew out the sight and thumb wheel.
P1020987.jpg

I cut them out and placed them on the master. A scrap piece placed on the side helped keep them aligned.
P1020990.jpg

P1020991.jpg

I applied two coats of Duplicolor filler primer, then removed the masks. This leaves recesses to mark the cut outs for the final parts.
P1020994.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back