Hero Phaser Scratchbuild

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by robn1, Nov 6, 2011.

1. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I've been commissioned to build a TOS hero phaser 2.

I had started a build several years ago, but I got sidetracked and put it aside. It was made back before all the great reference we now have was available. I wasn't on the interwebs back then, a lot of you guys were discovering all the phaser's mysteries and I knew nothing about it. My main sources of info was an article in Star Trek The Magazine, and Jlong's article. I made this P2 from styrene sheet following the pics from those mags. I took these pics about four years ago, but the build is 9 or 10 years old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I compared it to the newer pics available now and it wasn't to far off. A little on the big side, but the contours and proportions were very close. Instead of starting over, I decided to make corrections to the old one. It was made to be the final piece, but now I'll be making molds to cast parts in fiberglass. I've been cutting it down to size, and improving the general shape. I'll then plug up the holes to prepair for molding. I also improved the handle, though I will probably redo it.
    [​IMG]

This is where it is now. Many thanks to REL for the tip on Bondo Gold :thumbsup
    [​IMG]

A little more filling and some primer, then I'll move on to the P1.

2. AJK001

AJK001 Sr Member

That looks great so far and I can't wait to see more pictures. If this comes out like your other builds, I'm sure it is going to be perfect.

Good luck with the build.

robn1 likes this.
  3. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

I love to see anyone tackle my favorite weapon in Scifi. Good luck with the project.

robn1 likes this.
  4. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks awesome so far.can't wait to see more.I wish I could do schematic drawings like those in the background. I can't even use Google sketchup...:cry

robn1 likes this.
  5. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks! I'm so glad to get to finish this project after so long, and I have a client to pay for it :lol

The plans were drawn by a Trek Prop Zone member. He studied all the available pics and drew them in CAD.

Atlanthia likes this.
  6. Sean

Nice!Its going to look fantastic.....

7. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm sure someone is going to be pleased with the end results

Looking forward to your progress

robn1 likes this.
  8. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Awesome work !!! Will be watching this with great interest....in the future,you can make me one too...lol......

robn1 likes this.
  9. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

That looks excellent so far!

robn1 likes this.
  10. phez

phez Sr Member

Double post

11. phez

phez Sr Member

Awesome project, I have always wanted to take a crack at that myself. I can not wait to see how this turns out!!!!

robn1 likes this.
  12. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks, I appreciate it!

13. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Top of the heap.

Nothing better than a Phaser 2 project.

Please make it Black and White.

robn1 likes this.
  14. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks.

That's up to the client. I'll ask if he wants both versions.

15. The Dude

The Dude Sr Member

Very nice!

robn1 likes this.
  16. StarTrek101

StarTrek101 Member

Really awesome. I did the same exact thing as you some years ago. If you need any help, just ask.

robn1 likes this.
  17. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks guys!

18. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your buildups are always top notch Rob. I'm sure this will be the same.

Subscribed!

robn1 likes this.
  19. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Sr Member

I think this is the 1st scratchbuilt phaser thread I've seen. Everything I've always seen has been kits or conversions. Very nice work!!

robn1 likes this.
  20. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks guys! I'm still working on the trigger box contours, I like the front but the rear needed more filler. The home made handle connector will be replaced with a twist plug.
    [​IMG]

21. robn1

robn1 Master Member

You did? Heck boy, post some pics!

22. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I got the trigger box done. It took a lot of little rolled up pieces of sand paper, but the curves are just right. Next I'll cut out the rear end to make a receptacle for the fins.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

boodha and WinstonWolf359 like this.
  23. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

That looks REALLY outstanding! Great work! :)

robn1 likes this.
  24. boodha

boodha Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those are some sweet curves. Great work. Thanks for posting your WIP.

robn1 likes this.
  25. Volpin

Volpin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Beautiful work, and also so very clean and tidy! I wish my workspace looked half as situated during my projects.

Would you mind elaborating a bit more on the "Bondo Gold" you're using? Looks like some nice putty, and I'm looking for something between Apoxie Sculpt and Bondo to do some filling work with.

Keep up the fantastic work!

Edit: what program do you use for your blueprints? Looks like Inventor or similar.

robn1 likes this.
  26. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

Amazing work so far!

robn1 likes this.
  27. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks a lot guys! I cleaned a very small space for the pics, but the table is a mess! I lose my x-acto every time I set it down :lol

Someone else made the plans, I believe in CAD. They're available on The Trek Prop Zone. He studied all the photos, and examined a real mid grade phaser as a basis for the plans.

28. vetteboy1982

vetteboy1982 Member

Thats awesome Rob. I always loved that weapon, and the communicator.....VERY COOL !

29. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks!

Got four twist lock sockets yesterday, plugs are still en route.
    [​IMG]

30. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Sorry I missed this before. I haven't used Apoxie Sculpt so I can't compare, but I've heard good things about it. Bondo Gold is a premium version of the regular Bondo, it bonds to more surfaces like styrene and sands smoother and easier. It doesn't tend to clog the sand paper as much. It has a lime green color but uses the same red cream hardener as the regular.

I was a little iffy on the fillet around the trigger box, I couldn't judge the symmetry until I threw some primer on it. Looks pretty good I think. There are still some gaps and pin holes, I'll tend to them later. I just wanted to get a better look at the shape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I'll get a piece of poplar to make the P1 from, and work on cutting out the rear fin area.

micdavis likes this.
  31. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

::drools::

robn1 likes this.
  32. Felgacarb

Felgacarb Well-Known Member

This is looking great. I always love a good phaser build-

robn1 likes this.
  33. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks!

I've been cutting out the rear where the fins go on. I marked it out and scribed it with my x-acto. The ruler has a grid along it's full length that helps keep everything at right angles.
    [​IMG]

I continued scribing with my panel cutter.
    [​IMG]

And finished with an x-acto saw.
    [​IMG]

Then I cleaned it up with a file. I'll be closing it up with some sheet styrene, so I cut the opening out a little large.
    [​IMG]

34. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I still have some clean up to do, but I got the rear fin slot boxed in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. Tiberius Kirk

Tiberius Kirk Sr Member

Great work!

robn1 likes this.
  36. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks.
    Fillin' in the little pin holes.
    [​IMG]

37. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Fantastic Rob!

and I really really hope you are my secret santa :love

Mike

robn1 likes this.
  38. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Ho man, Rob, this is monumental stuff here!! I'm modifying some Art Asylum phasers that seem to be turning out okay so far, but this... THIS is AMAZING!!!(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

39. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This tool right here! Where can one find one? What's the exact name for something like that? I'd like to be able to find it online.

ALSO, great build, sir! Looks really great!!!

robn1 likes this.
  40. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks fellas! I appreciate it.

The tool is called a panel scriber or just a scriber, it's a modeling tool. Mine is the Squadron one Scribing Tool (squ10202) Squadron Miscellaneous Hand Tools but most say the Bare Metal Foil one is better Introduction To Using Bare-Metal Foil - Bare-Metal Foil Co.

You can scribe lines and grooves with it, and it makes fast work of cutting through too. Scribing with an x-acto leaves a raised ridge of plastic on each side of the line. The scriber removes a curl of plastic for a cleaner line.

41. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the links!

42. Sean

Dude this project is fantastic.and I didn't even know there was a little saw attachment blade made for exacto.I could have used that so many times it's pitiful.looking awesome!

robn1 likes this.
  43. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I like the X-Acto knife for that myself- snapped off tip & held in reverse, then I gently hold it at an angle & go through it again to remove those ridges. The scribing tool makes a 'V' cut (at least, the one I have does, and I couldn't find a non-'V' one), and that doesn't work for most of my projects. Still, I DO use it for a lot of other things beside panel lines...

44. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Thanks! Not x-acto but you get the idea, a #11 blade with saw teeth #33 Replacement Blades (5) (zon39-925) Zona X-acto Knife Blades

45. boodha

boodha Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, this thread is quite the source for info! Thanks for a great read on some great work Rob!

robn1 likes this.
  46. tim

tim Sr Member

The tool also resembles a periosteal elevator.

And a reaaaaaly hope a run of cast parts shakes out at some point. :)

47. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Where do I find a couple of metal parts ,for the phaser so I can start mine,I will use your post as a reference,but dont want to do anything until I aquire all the Parts I need.......

48. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Check with Sporak and Nicksdad, between the two of them you can get just about everything.

49. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

Thanks so much and that is phenominal work,by the way......

robn1 likes this.
  50. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Things slowed down over the holiday, but work continues. I filled in my faux twist plug hole in the trigger box. It looks like crap here but it's smooth.
    [​IMG]

I had to sand back the front wall a bit. It was backed up with epoxy and I sanded right through the plastic, there's nothing left but epoxy!
    [​IMG]

I got a few twist lock plugs a while back, but the receptacles are too tall.
    [​IMG]

I got some panel mount versions, they need to be sanded down on the sides but they're much shorter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a few shots with a Jlong P1 in place. It doesn't quite fit but it's a cool preview.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]