The Enterprise Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy this is gonna be GREAT!

stephenfurst3.jpg

Not only that there's a scene where I get to my chair and Scotty left behind his Saurian Brandy bottle. Empty.

All this stuff is in the can and shot. Getting some amazing looks at the models and test shots the guys are working on. The USS Drexler is awesome! When I have some finshed tests I'll post them.

Steve

Can't wait.

It took awhile to edit the time line and pull the footage I would use. But once that was done I could render off the live action to targa frames so I could composite them with the CGI backgrounds. This took a bit of testing and figuring but once done it’s smooth sailing from here.

This is one cut from the beginning of the film. It has full sound and sound effects. Now all I have to do is repeat this step about 50 more times with different angles, cuts, and scenes.

Don’t blink it goes by fast but the actual film itself will be around 17 minutes long.

Another News report will follow that details how I got to this. It might seem simple enough but it isn’t.

Steve

bridge_scene_ONE - YouTube

Last edited:

That was fascinating watching you do the composite work. I use Wax 2.0 as I don't have access to the higher end stuff, nor do I have the funds. Your Stardestroyer looks like it's going to be a hell of a build. Do you use some after market parts? One question... On your bridge lighting, why did you go with just the blue ceiling lights as opposed to the multicolored ones on the bridge of the Enterprise? Looking forward to the next update. BTW, Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Because in looking at pictures taken on the old bridge they sometimes change color from show to show.

Thanks guys.

Steve

LOL, looking at the beginning of the finished clip and my first thought was "Steve built a SET for this- wait....ohhhh..."
Nicely done, very nicely.:thumbsup

Well it’s been a busy first week of the year. Lots of work done on the Star Destroyer. Got all the fiber optics finally. A 1000 ft and so many holes my eyes have gone cross. I’ll be hooking up the actual lighting tomorrow. I’ll be doing another video report the end of this week.

On the film I’m sorry to say that we lost our camera rig that would have helped us get some nice dolly shots of the big model. I guess it wasn’t in the stars. Paul Gentry and I both agreed without proper conditions to shoot the model it would lend itself well or match to the CGI we are doing.

So it was scrubbed to a later date on the next TOS 1 hour movie called “Star Trek Sirius” more on that later. It’s a drag because the whole idea behind doing this short movie was to shoot the model I spent 47 videos making. But in “Sirius” she will live in space!

Moving on I’m getting comps of the live action on the bridge done on a daily basis. Here is a frame grab from one of the most recent. We have many different angels and close ups in the film and I’ll post some frame grabs as we go along.

Shortly as soon as I get a few effects shots I will cut a teaser trailer to get you all going.

Steve

bridge_scene_two_comp0312.jpg

Awesome composite work Steve, not to mention the detail on the CG bridge. I showed my wife the youtube video yesterday and went back and showed her the video of you doing the composite work. She was indeed impressed, she really thought that you had built a full scale mock-up of the bridge. Kudos!
Can't wait to see more. If you can come up with a beauty shot, I'd love to do a sketch, or some poster art.

The latest. Well this Star Destroyer has been taking a lot of time but I have been keeping up with the star Trek movie equally. I’m about to finish the Star Destroyer and move on to the Nautilus and less time consuming project and another 66 inch Enterprise kit to get out to a customer. So in a couple of more weeks I’ll be able to spend full time on the movie and developing our Star Trek sip off series, “Star Trek Sirius.”
The VFX crew is hard at work on the effects for the film and with any luck in a few more weeks the first trailer will be made.
Here’s a short news report to explain and show you more.

Steve
sneillfxNews1 9 12 - YouTube

BTW I have been working on the bridge a bunch more and have many improvements especially over the turbo lift area lighting that was wrong before.

Here's a couple of frame grabs to show the difference.

Steve

bridge_scene_one_comp0000.jpg

bridge_scene_10_comp0015.jpg

bridge_scene_9_comp0000.jpg

Except for that slight line blur between the back of the captain's chair and the communications station chair and the 3D effect being a hint off at the corner of Scotty's engineering station where it meets the turbolift alcove (and these are screamingly minor nitpicks that I had to look really, really hard for) in that last picture I could swear that you really are sitting on the actual bridge set and not a 99.9999999999999999999999999% dead on simulation.

Bravo, sir! Bravo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back