My PL 1/350 TOS Enterprise

RossW

It's been a loooong 10+ yrs since Polar Lights released the incredible 1/350 TOS Enterprise kit, but I finally completed mine late last year. She ain't perfect - far from it - but I'm pretty happy with it considering all the custom work I put into this:
  • Lighting + stepper motor control boards, including:All blinkies board that handles saucer running lights, engineering hull strobe and warp engine lights. All use PWM to fade up/down to better simulate incandescent bulbs. The warp engine lights fade up in time to the stepper motor start up.
  • Constant speed stepper motor controller with speed adjust via IR remote or onboard rotary encoder
  • 12 individual LED strip brightness controller which allows for balancing the brightness of all the LED tapes/SMDs (adjustable via IR remote or onboard rotary encoder)
  • IR remote control board (on/off, stepper motor speed control, LED strip light window brightness control)
  • Custom 3D printed base designed by Steven Burns based on my sketches & requirements
  • All markings painted on using my own vinyl masks cut on my Silhouette Cameo 4
  • Top saucer rust ring created using a custom vinyl mask and pastels oversprayed with hull colour (same for all weathering).
  • Custom paint mixes using Mr Color lacquer paints
Gary Kerr's help was a godsend, especially when it came to creating my custom paint masks (I make too many mistakes to use purchased ones). I took it to WonderFest this year but unfortunately he wasn't able to attend. Daren Dochterman and Kirk Thatcher dropped by my Canadian Embassy room and saw it - Darren felt the window lights were not warm enough. Fair comment.

There's a few things I'm not thrilled with on it, so I do plan on doing another one after I finish the 1/350 TMP Refit.

Full album of in progress work

Attachments

• IMG_4505.JPG
    IMG_4505.JPG
    873.4 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_4517.mov
    35.3 MB
  • PB090054.JPG
    PB090054.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 263
  • PB090056.JPG
    PB090056.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 253
  • PB090068.JPG
    PB090068.JPG
    926.5 KB · Views: 252
  • PB090072.JPG
    PB090072.JPG
    713.6 KB · Views: 226
  • PB090074.JPG
    PB090074.JPG
    751.5 KB · Views: 223
  • PB090075.JPG
    PB090075.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 282
  • PL 1_350 TOS E video 1.mov
    55.1 MB
That is a superb build! You really nailed the window light brightness. I'm not overly fond of builds where they're too bright. Great work.
Thanks! I feel the same about model lighting where the windows are too bright, so I worked really hard on that aspect (the board design & code is the most complicated thing I’ve ever made).

LED Strip Brightness Controller

It's been a loooong 10+ yrs since Polar Lights released the incredible 1/350 TOS Enterprise kit, but I finally completed mine late last year. She ain't perfect - far from it - but I'm pretty happy with it considering all the custom work I put into this:
  • Lighting + stepper motor control boards, including:All blinkies board that handles saucer running lights, engineering hull strobe and warp engine lights. All use PWM to fade up/down to better simulate incandescent bulbs. The warp engine lights fade up in time to the stepper motor start up.
  • Constant speed stepper motor controller with speed adjust via IR remote or onboard rotary encoder
  • 12 individual LED strip brightness controller which allows for balancing the brightness of all the LED tapes/SMDs (adjustable via IR remote or onboard rotary encoder)
  • IR remote control board (on/off, stepper motor speed control, LED strip light window brightness control)
  • Custom 3D printed base designed by Steven Burns based on my sketches & requirements
  • Top saucer rust ring created using a custom vinyl mask and pastels oversprayed with hull colour (same for all weathering).
Gary Kerr's help was a godsend, especially when it came to creating my custom paint masks (I make too many mistakes to use purchased ones). I took it to WonderFest this year but unfortunately he wasn't able to attend. Daren Dochterman and Kirk Thatcher dropped by my Canadian Embassy room and saw it - Darren felt the window lights were not warm enough. Fair comment.

There's a few things I'm not thrilled with on it, so I do plan on doing another one after I finish the 1/350 TMP Refit.

Outstanding work! (y)

Thank you! Since I was a teenager I’ve wanted a large-scale model of my favourite starship, and Polar Lights really delivered. It was truly a labour of love.
Looking back at this I have to say I am SO impressed with your total eradication of seam lines. It's really an amazing piece of work, bro.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back