My Han in Carbonite panel upgrades 23 Nov 2013

Re: WIP: Han in Carbonite (panels)

Best panels yet Marcus. Nicely done. Can't wait to see 'em on the block. I can't help with how they attached them...those 2 screws at the back never seemed like they were gonna do the job on their own.

Maybe there is nothing holding them down at the front. Did anyone try touching the panels at any exhibitions?... Actually I know a man who did, I'll ask him... Some of the panels have approx. 4.5mm head diameter slotted countersunk screws or domed screws at the front so I thought these might be holding them down. But most of the panels don't have these. I bought/ordered these screws today.
screwsandholes.jpg

From the low angle that Phil's photos were taken from you can see that the front end isn't screwed down on at least five of the panels. The outer lip is level with the top surface on most but in some as seen below it's actually flapping above the surface!
seeunder.jpg
Best panels yet Marcus. Nicely done. Can't wait to see 'em on the block. I can't help with how they attached them...those 2 screws at the back never seemed like they were gonna do the job on their own.

I can help you my friend ;)

There is no screw on the front of the panel.
It has a special lock mechanism in the middle of the front.
In the back the panel is hold on place by 2 screws.

I will post some pics of this soon.

Maybe there is nothing holding them down at the front. Did anyone try touching the panels at any exhibitions?... Actually I know a man who did, I'll ask him... Some of the panels have approx. 4.5mm head diameter slotted countersunk screws or domed screws at the front so I thought these might be holding them down. But most of the panels don't have these. I bought/ordered these screws today.

From the low angle that Phil's photos were taken from you can see that the front end isn't screwed down on at least five of the panels. The outer lip is level with the top surface on most but in some as seen below it's actually flapping above the surface!

Last edited:

The lock mechanism is located in the front middle of the panel (left side of the panel)
On the original pic, you can see that the mounting on both 2 screws is broken.
It seems like someone tryed to open the panel without taking out the 2 screws on the back side of the panel (the 2 screws on the right side).

P1010433-B.jpg

Spectacular build my friend!!!

If only I had the space :cry

Markus

There is still a screw in the photo you posted with the red arrow in though. You don't think that this goes through the block still?

Thanks for the input, Mike. I've PM'd you.

Neil, I don't know if this screw goes though the block or not. Between the eight panels there are three that have small screws on that side, one that has some small screws closer to the middle of the panel, two that may have some filled and two tha don't seem to have anything other than the two in the tabs.

And there doesn't appear to be any rhyme nor reason to the small screws. Some panels are sticking up at the front even with the small screws, others look more secured and have no screws on that side.

Either way, I bought some small countersunk m3 screws and have ordered some m3 domed screws that would be long enough to secure into the block. I can always leave some that are not tightened all the way down so the panels stick up a little at one side.

I put some panels on one side of the block today and it's looking really nice. But I need to cut out some areas for the rotary switches to fit and drill some holes for wires to pass through. Pics when it's ready!

Looking forward to getting the remaining parts from Darth Chromer and of course his excellent electronics kit. Haven't decided what to wire up to which switch yet. I was thinking one switch to turn on the row of red/clear lights and another to turn on the 7 segments and green screen. I could wire the rectangular yellow LEDs into either.

Yes, this is now my favorite prop in my collection. Endor rifle takes second place!

There is still a screw in the photo you posted with the red arrow in though. You don't think that this goes through the block still?

Last edited:

Love the way you guys are diving into this prop. Marcus is really going the distance to make this as authentic as possible. Excellent work on the internals for the 2nd panel. :thumbsup

Still waiting for my PC boards to get here, then I will get a run of electronics out.

Now that I know the small screws are actually for attaching these 'locking mechanisms', does anyone have any info or pictures of them? I have to hold off making any more holes in my real Volvo panels until I know exactly what they are for!

One thing I was wondering about these panels was if they covered the pocket holes for this prop. Great side view picture from Lonestar showing that they are not.

The lock mechanism is located in the front middle of the panel (left side of the panel)
On the original pic, you can see that the mounting on both 2 screws is broken.
It seems like someone tryed to open the panel without taking out the 2 screws on the back side of the panel (the 2 screws on the right side).

P1010433-B.jpg

Last edited:

I noticed that to. You put tape over yours didnt you Glenn?

On the hero panel what are the two small blocks that are screwed into the panel each end?

I only see one on the left side (looking at it with the 'green' screen on the right). I've been told it's a power switch. Maye to turn the whole thing on, then the knurled knob controlls the flashing pattern. That's what I'm planning anyway.

On the hero panel what are the two small blocks that are screwed into the panel each end?

Yes, I figured, they would not have just left those open, right? Haha. Well, there you go! My next one I'll leave open.

Not sure what the block is from and I thought there was only one.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back