Nerf Gun Props? YES!

Tell me of your Punisher, Ussel—I mean, NeobiZero! I just bought one for a similar project and I like what you did with your barrels. I was thinking of maybe going with a barrel shroud like on Dillon Aero's minigun. (Looks like you might be working on one.)

Mini-gun%20R3%207.jpg

Did you completely replace the barrels?

And since I'm here, here's a cheapo spring MP40 that I painted up quickly last night for a short film. I really need to work on my dry-brushing.

Loving the M41a's, great job guys :cool There's some interesting mods going on with the one below your PR BritNerfMogul :thumbsup

Well, after being the powder monkey for my boys for a while, my youngest decided she wanted in on the action (well it was that or forever chase after her for the boys stolen ammo, or gun :rolleyes). I luckily found one perfectly sized sized for her on eBay going cheap (another paint job to put on my to-do list)

3F15589E-E278-4D3A-96DD-E8E526028D36-718-0000007AF692A7E4.jpg

Starting to wonder if I made the right choice though :lol

Hey guys! I hope you all are doing well out there! I have been quite busy with moving into a larger shop and also found some time to have a few issues with my heart! hehe The medicine has helped a lot in that regard, so I'm back in full swing and will have another batch of projects to share. I hope you guys will do the same, I'm seeing some really great stuff being posted!

@Canobi, your daughters expression worries me sir. I beleve she will run your house if you give her a custom nerf! lol Great photo :)

Yay, I got some stuff to post again;

My sandblasted and detailed Vigilon
TL-my_vigilon.jpg

...and I FINALLY got the Storm Bolter finished
TL-storm_bolter1.jpg

TL-storm_bolter9.jpg

(there are a few more pics in my photobucket album)
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/aestivalis_in_irvine/Nerf Recon Storm Bolter/?start=all

The Storm Bolter has "stagger fire" just like the Barrel Break (one barrel, then the other depending on how far you pull the trigger at once), and is completely serviceable (almost everything is screwed together).

Yay, I got some stuff to post again;

My sandblasted and detailed Vigilon
TL-my_vigilon.jpg

...and I FINALLY got the Storm Bolter finished
TL-storm_bolter1.jpg

TL-storm_bolter9.jpg

(there are a few more pics in my photobucket album)
Nerf Recon Storm Bolter pictures by aestivalis_in_irvine - Photobucket

The Storm Bolter has "stagger fire" just like the Barrel Break (one barrel, then the other depending on how far you pull the trigger at once), and is completely serviceable (almost everything is screwed together).

HOW!!! I need to do that to my vigilon! Also, IIRC you can basically take apart the drum that has the rear facing forwards, and switch it around. Also, I'm genuinely interested to see the inside of those Recon's/Retaliator's to see how you managed to get that stagger system working...

HOW!!! I need to do that to my vigilon! Also, IIRC you can basically take apart the drum that has the rear facing forwards, and switch it around. Also, I'm genuinely interested to see the inside of those Recon's/Retaliator's to see how you managed to get that stagger system working...

For the Vigilon, I used an enclosed sandblaster on low pressure and took my time removing all the paint. I masked the areas that were already exposed red plastic and just worked on the painted areas. Then I used scotchbrite and some denim rags (i.e. old jeans) to even out the finish.

The ends of the 18 round Alpha Trooper drums are not reversible.

The guns are indeed Recons, as this project started just before the Retaliators came out. Since there is just one grip and trigger, I had to split the firing mechanism and make the timing adjustable until I could lock it down. The main firing mechanism plate is polycarbonate, with a styrene insert that I adjusted until I was happy with the stagger-fire timing.
TL-storm_bolter_stagger1.jpg

TL-storm_bolter_stagger2.jpg

Here you can see the bottom of the plunger catches and some of how the unit is bolted together.
TL-storm_bolter_stagger3.jpg

Basically, I made the "right gun" a stand-alone unit, and made it so that I could screw the right half of the "left gun" onto the "right gun" before putting the rest of the "left gun" back together. Then the modified slide was assembled over the two guns.

Oh, and here is my snub Barrel Break.
wip-snub_barrel_break1.jpg

wip-snub_barrel_break2.jpg

I was going to gut the "break-open" feature it and make it a front-load with a pump handle, but when I took off the sight and sawed off the barrels just a few inches, it really grew on me as-is.

Last edited:
Pretty much every pic I saw was amazing, and I only read 5 pages out of the 55 :lol I like seeing the before/after shots especially.

I just bought a couple nerf/squirt guns to try and modify. I'm going to start out just winging it and make something that I think looks cool, before I try and replicate a gun from a movie/tv show/video game. I'll make sure and post a few before/after pics once I'm finished, although I'm sure it'll be awhile...

For the Vigilon, I used an enclosed sandblaster on low pressure and took my time removing all the paint. I masked the areas that were already exposed red plastic and just worked on the painted areas. Then I used scotchbrite and some denim rags (i.e. old jeans) to even out the finish.

That is some bad ass work, Aestivalis. Love the little design details in there. I definitely enjoy the painting part for myself, so seeing that kind of build quality is refreshing :)

Do you recall what media you used on low volume for the sandblaster? I've attempted that a few times with meh results. I'd be interested to see what you used, thanks.

I really look forward to seeing how these three come out, all the best with them

Do you recall what media you used on low volume for the sandblaster? I've attempted that a few times with meh results. I'd be interested to see what you used, thanks.

The media was fairly coarse - more "grain-like" than "powder-like" (just the stuff we use at work for a matte finish on aluminum parts). I was running it at about 35-40 psi, but you REALLY need to keep that nozzle moving (or keep the part moving if using a fixed nozzle). I made a huge mistake on my first Praxis (the one that was painted brown from pages 51 and 52 of this topic). The only reason I did it brown with weathering was because I "erased" or "dulled" a handful of the molded-on details of the frame by trying to work certain areas for too long to get the original paint off. Another problem with dwelling with the sandblaster is you can cause the surface of the plastic to heat up and the media will become embeded (not a desired result if you plan to leave some areas unpainted). Working on low pressure over several sessions will give the best results. If I had access to a sizable tank where I could soak-and-scrub the plastic frames in alcohol to remove the paint (and access to a large volume of cheap alcohol), that would be ideal.

On a side note, I see that the Lumitron is only $20 on Amazon right now, and I wonder how it would look done up in an MIB color scheme?... (all silver with black accents and possibly some blue LEDs...)

Last edited:
Completed a Nerf retaliator yesterday in 8 hours for a commisioner. Was approached the previous night for this job, as he needed it as a gift for a kid who's birthday was today.

Well, here's it completed.

12580_4468641127028_37631810_n.jpg

Had it black & gunmetal. Then weathered it, alot. :lol

It appears the kid who received it is real happy with it. :) It is internally modded by the commissioner with an 8kg spring.

Also working on a Steampunk Longstrike now. Here are some shots...
557786_4238632136947_17339949_n.jpg

10464_4347115128954_607186813_n.jpg

68402_4418036461943_907731192_n.jpg

64612_4418036301939_1816096762_n.jpg
Woodgrain painted by hand. :lol More to come!

Here is mine I finished last weekend. I did it for my neighbor, we are working on a Mandalorian medic suit. Idea was that this was a Bacta launcher.
DE3A74F5-D950-4295-B5AB-1E4958E50FC7-7559-000013550B10C876.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back