Nerf Gun Props? YES!

Please, please PLEASE forgive me if I am posting already well-known info, and excuse the fact that I've NEVER customized a Nerf or other brand gun in the way this thread portrays. In the spirit of contributing to the RPF, I just wanted to mention a brand of paint I've used VERY often on other projects that I think is simply amazing.

The brand is called Tamiya. It's a hobbyist paint out of Japan, and a remarkably tough finish! I painted a set of rims for a Volkswagen that went through 3 very harsh Michigan winters without so much as a chip or flake. The labels advertise it is formulated for polycarbonates(scale models and R/C cars), so I would imagine it's fine for the Nerf conversions. It comes in a HUGE selection of colors and almost each one is available in multiple finishes(gloss/flat/satin). It is avalable at places like Hobby Lobby and other hobby shops, maybe Michaels, and places like that. It is a little pricey, but I think it's worth every penny.

Here is a pic for reference:
tamiya.jpg

Again, if this is already common knowledge, please disregard this post. I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all. Just putting it out there since I didn't see a mention in the thread(though I'm not sure I read the whole thing).

Wow - great thread - I can't believe it never occurred to me to mod a nerf gun. I'll have to dig through my storage a bit. My favorite was always the Big Bad Bow, though...

photobit.jpg

You could probably shorten that tube, and maybe add some leds inside it, or possibly seal it, and add some colored hand sanitizer gel to it.

It looks to have great potential to me. Maybe add some sort of trigger on the back handle as well?

Please, please PLEASE forgive me if I am posting already well-known info, and excuse the fact that I've NEVER customized a Nerf or other brand gun in the way this thread portrays. In the spirit of contributing to the RPF, I just wanted to mention a brand of paint I've used VERY often on other projects that I think is simply amazing.

The brand is called Tamiya. It's a hobbyist paint out of Japan, and a remarkably tough finish! I painted a set of rims for a Volkswagen that went through 3 very harsh Michigan winters without so much as a chip or flake. The labels advertise it is formulated for polycarbonates(scale models and R/C cars), so I would imagine it's fine for the Nerf conversions. It comes in a HUGE selection of colors and almost each one is available in multiple finishes(gloss/flat/satin). It is avalable at places like Hobby Lobby and other hobby shops, maybe Michaels, and places like that. It is a little pricey, but I think it's worth every penny.

Again, if this is already common knowledge, please disregard this post. I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all. Just putting it out there since I didn't see a mention in the thread(though I'm not sure I read the whole thing).

That's great advice, always appreciated. They do make excellent paint, it's only real drawback is the price. I'd advise using it after you feel confident in your painting skills as that can become a very expensive "oops" if something goes wrong :)

Wanted to post some photos of the new N7 Stampede I did for G33kwatch.com's Child's Play charity event on Nov 25-27th. They have some really cool stuff up for auction including an amazing scale model of the Normandy SR-2. Check it out here if you have a chance!

Auctions » Mass Effect Marathon 2 for Child's Play Charity

Just one other thing I wanted to say because the question/comment comes up on occasion, I do these guns in the theme of the game/movie they would appear in. Not always a 100% match to anything in-game. I do paint resin 1:1 scale guns and those are generally as accuare as I can be, unless the person has requested otherwise. These are my fun side-side-hobby (I have too many of these!), I consider them like a canvas and see what I can do without using a lot of non-nerf parts. I think it's cool to see how different they can look even though they're identical in body shape. I do try to find the time for fabricating, but it's not a specialty so I stick with what I feel I'm best at. I've got some interesting guns coming up so I hope that will satisfy those wanting to see some unique body shapes. Just bare with me as I get better at it :)

Hope that sounded the way it did in my head, hehe. Just thought this might be the best way to expain the guns and the painting to anyone just seeing this stuff for the first time. I respect the people doing body mods, in fact I wish I could do that stuff right now so I'm a bit jealous of 'em :)

ok, photos..also threw in the white variant I decided to sell off on Etsy, not that you guys need to order anything. I really just appreciate you guys enjoy the guns and spreading the good word around :)

IMG_7475.jpg

IMG_7476.jpg

IMG_7471.jpg

White version you may have seen in the past :)

IMG_7187.jpg

IMG_7189.jpg

Congrats on getting into that charity auction.

Looks like we'll have some lovely weather for painting this weekend.

-Mike J.

http://io9.com/5850616/nycc2011-cosplay/gallery/7
Lol, i was browsing io9 comicon cosplay photos when i thought i recognized a nerf gun, thought i'd compare it with one on this thread, then i realized it was the exact same gun XD! Had to make an account and make a post just to say how trippy that was.

Btw, love your stuff JohnsonArms. You can add yet another enthralled drone to your nerf mod army that you've inspired. Saw your Mass effect rifle on kotaku, then found this thread. Currently painting up my first maverick. Gonna do my recon with raider stock next.

Also, was wondering what paint you use for your halo green? is it a custom mix or one of the krylon range?

I blame this mess on you Brian, I have a custom Mando helmet waiting for led's , and an unfinished Iron Man faceplate, all on the back burner while I paint a toy gun LOL !

View attachment 71979

I also shamelessly threw in my custom Webley blaster pistol I builtfrom scratch in a pathetic attempt at self promotion lol.

I blame this mess on you Brian, I have a custom Mando helmet waiting for led's , and an unfinished Iron Man faceplate, all on the back burner while I paint a toy gun LOL !

I also shamelessly threw in my custom Webley blaster pistol I built from scratch in a pathetic attempt at self promotion lol.

I will throw blame back at you guys for making me want to do more of these infuriating things! hehe. I'm sorry the other projects have been put on hold, but it sounds like you'll have a cool gun pretty soon :)

NYCC2011 Cosplay
Lol, i was browsing io9 comicon cosplay photos when i thought i recognized a nerf gun, thought i'd compare it with one on this thread, then i realized it was the exact same gun XD! Had to make an account and make a post just to say how trippy that was.

Btw, love your stuff JohnsonArms. You can add yet another enthralled drone to your nerf mod army that you've inspired. Saw your Mass effect rifle on kotaku, then found this thread. Currently painting up my first maverick. Gonna do my recon with raider stock next.

Also, was wondering what paint you use for your halo green? is it a custom mix or one of the krylon range?

Thank you, ya I've been had some really nice sites post photos and that was really trippy to be honest. I'm not a huge operation and I do everything myself so the pace can be pretty tiring by the end of the week. I try to rememeber to be thankful for being busy when the economy is the way that it is. Quite humbling that people would want something I made. There's a ton of talanted people out there doing this and it means a lot to still have them send me an email.

The green I use is a few colors blended, but I do use the krylon OD even though its kinda dark out of the can. There's some other similar greens out there and I kinda like mixture of a few of them. I hope that will help ya.

I will throw blame back at you guys for making me want to do more of these infuriating things! hehe. I'm sorry the other projects have been put on hold, but it sounds like you'll have a cool gun pretty soon :)

Thank you, ya I've been had some really nice sites post photos and that was really trippy to be honest. I'm not a huge operation and I do everything myself so the pace can be pretty tiring by the end of the week. I try to rememeber to be thankful for being busy when the economy is the way that it is. Quite humbling that people would want something I made. There's a ton of talanted people out there doing this and it means a lot to still have them send me an email.

The green I use is a few colors blended, but I do use the krylon OD even though its kinda dark out of the can. There's some other similar greens out there and I kinda like mixture of a few of them. I hope that will help ya.

I'ma blame ALL Y'ALL if I get sucked into this amazing hobby trap! If it was hard to get the guns, I wouldn't care. The problem is, Nerf guns are easily available here and for comaprable prices! The bigger problem is, I'm severely limited in paint, having to probably use the afore-mentioned Tamiya, which is even more expensive here than in the USA. Yes Japan is closer to Korea than the USA, but Korean/Japanese relations are not good (The occupation). So Japanese goods have a HUGE surcharge.

I'll let you guys explain to my wife (who knows MUY THAI!!!), where my money might be going soon...

Not sure how well this is turning out, but I'm running out of time :( the (2) 7 segment displays are slightly different colors (supposed to be same) and I either burned out 2 segments on one of them or it was defective... Anyhow, here are some pics with "11" displayed on the ammo counter...

View attachment 72371

View attachment 72372

View attachment 72373

And here is one trying to show the laser sight which is activated by a button on the handle...

632120d3-94bc-8d17.jpg

Last edited:
I recently picked up the Nitron, and I was disappointed in the way the scope mounted to the gun. In that it's not a stable, locked down mounting. It slides on and off easily and the arms that mount the scope are floppy and spring loaded.

Are all the Nerf scopes like that?

Yes, they all mount like that. They are technically "tacticool", meaning they are primarily for looks. They mean for them to be swapped often to change the gun components with the player's mood. Even some of the stocks are a bit floppy.

I hope nobody EVER lists the colors of paints they use for these transformations, specially in the Tamiya brand.

Nope. I really hope not!

:lol

I hope nobody EVER lists the colors of paints they use for these transformations, specially in the Tamiya brand.

Nope. I really hope not!

:lol

I use Testors and Humbrol. The entire line :) I will try the other brands as soon as I need a color that they make and also to test the durability. Sounds like its good stuff!

I'ma blame ALL Y'ALL if I get sucked into this amazing hobby trap! If it was hard to get the guns, I wouldn't care. The problem is, Nerf guns are easily available here and for comaprable prices! The bigger problem is, I'm severely limited in paint, having to probably use the afore-mentioned Tamiya, which is even more expensive here than in the USA. Yes Japan is closer to Korea than the USA, but Korean/Japanese relations are not good (The occupation). So Japanese goods have a HUGE surcharge.

I'll let you guys explain to my wife (who knows MUY THAI!!!), where my money might be going soon...

Haha, order the paints online if you can, they may take a while to get to ya, but the US has plenty to spare :)

Not sure how well this is turning out, but I'm running out of time :( the (2) 7 segment displays are slightly different colors (supposed to be same) and I either burned out 2 segments on one of them or it was defective... Anyhow, here are some pics with "11" displayed on the ammo counter...

And here is one trying to show the laser sight which is activated by a button on the handle...

632120d3-94bc-8d17.jpg

Great job and I love the LEDs. They are fickle things as I have found, but I'm getting better with the solder :)

More photos coming, just been working on a bunch of the N7 stampedes and since they're very similar to the first one, I didn't think you guys would want to see dupe photos!

I use Testors and Humbrol. The entire line :) I will try the other brands as soon as I need a color that they make and also to test the durability. Sounds like its good stuff!

Haha, order the paints online if you can, they may take a while to get to ya, but the US has plenty to spare :)

Great job and I love the LEDs. They are fickle things as I have found, but I'm getting better with the solder :)

More photos coming, just been working on a bunch of the N7 stampedes and since they're very similar to the first one, I didn't think you guys would want to see dupe photos!

1st, what colors and finishes are you using the most of, what colors work best as accents or "aging/antiquing", etc. I only ask so many questions because like I said, experimenting with paints and colors could get expensive here. After I made that post, I contacted a huge art store that assures me he carries ANY type of paint, in spray or brush-on.

2nd, Tried that. I found out paints, being combustible and hazardous, require special certs and permits to be shipped into Korea. For companies, not so difficult. All but impossible for individual consumers. But thanks for the suggestion!

Hey Nerf-Masters,

This may sound like a silly question, but. . . does anyone have any suggestions for a drop down thigh holster to hold a repainted Nerf Maverick?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back