Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

Excellent find! Where was this when I made my Eye?? There is soooo much more detail in this version.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but the second picture didn't come up.

3d modeling is suuuuper easy. It looks very intimidating, but man. It just takes patience and time. There are tons of videos on YouTube, and I only watched about 20 minutes total to get me going. I'd give you a link, but I can't remember which videos were actually helpful. A good handful of them don't get to the point. And the person just rambles on. I may do a tutorial myself because my cousin wants to learn. And I think it would be better since I'll be getting right to the point, and specify everything I do. Whether or not it's the "correct way" it works for me. lol

I'm using Blender, Netfabb, and MeshLab. All of them are free.

The cording appears to be woven leather. I'm checking Amazon for some now. :D

I'm ordering this at 6mm thickness. I'm getting red and black, and I'll probably get more than 1 set of each. Since I plan on adding my Eye to Etsy.

https://www.amazon.com/Beadnova-Gen...944758&sr=8-2&keywords=woven+leather+cord+red

Oh, I am convinced that they Screen Printed the little "X" pattern that goes down the trim of the outer tunic. We won't find that in-stores.

Last edited:
Wow. Wish I'd stumbled on this thread sooner!

I'm doing a "Doctor Strange on a budget" project right now (I've already messaged a few of you), because I just found out that people wear costumes ALL DAY during Halloween time at the college I attend. I'm having to simplify quite a lot to accommodate my skill level and the skill levels of those helping me (specifically my mum) as well as my rather tight budget.

My plan is to do the cloak from scratch with relatively close materials, rather than attempting a totally accurate one. I'm planning on just wearing blue jeans for the pants, and using a strip of brown fabric some old belts, and a whole bunch of random bits and bobs for his belt/sash (although it's looking like I may need to up the ante there).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do the tunic part without a bunch of sewing, assuming that some loss in accuracy is acceptable? I've been considering modifying this cloakish thing I found on Amazon, but can't decide if it would work well enough. (( https://smile.amazon.com/TUNIC-Hood...11&keywords=tunic&refinements=p_85:2470955011 )) I've also considered getting a blue bathrobe and modifying that.

Cheers to each and every one of you on some amazing work!
SupersonicGabi I saw that you said you had an idea on how to create the spell disk. I'm anxious to hear that when you've fleshed it out more, as those are one of the things I've gotten most excited by in the trailers.

Again, thank you all so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I just had an interesting thought - has anyone tried bleaching the "demon" sigil into the front of the tunic? I remember using a plastic stencil and watered down bleach in a spray bottle to make custom t-shirts as a kid, so there's a chance it could work well here too.

Doctor_Strange_Demon_Sigil.jpg

Also, I just had an interesting thought - has anyone tried bleaching the "demon" sigil into the front of the tunic? I remember using a plastic stencil and watered down bleach in a spray bottle to make custom t-shirts as a kid, so there's a chance it could work well here too.

View attachment 653646

Interesting thought. It appears though that the entire "demon" or Ankh symbol is all Screen Printed.

Upon further inspection of the Eye, it seems to have the same "X"s that the tunic has.

Last edited:
The idea that I had for the spell disc was to get it laser etched on an acrylic disc. Someone on the RPF Facebook group is doing that already, for $30 bucks!! I'm gonna be all over that next paycheck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The idea that I had for the spell disc was to get it laser etched on an acrylic disc. Someone on the RPF Facebook group is doing that already, for $30 bucks!! I'm gonna be all over that next paycheck

I saw that! It looks freaking awesome! I'll probably get one, if I don't make one.

13894991_1746497932286845_5755217327784774709_n.jpg

Well, I've got the base of the tunic done. Haven't done the lower pleating yet, but I'm trying to get a passable version done for SATURDAY, so I'm prioritizing the cape next. If I can get a version done tomorrow night, It'll be my test version for the final one for the movie premiere. I'm not aiming for perfect, just a proof of concept basically. Then I'll know what I'm doing for my fancy one.

EDIT: forgot the freaking arm wraps!! any tips?

Umm - could you post a link? Pretty please? :angel

Also SupersonicGabi, you asked about the arm bands...

For my costume, we made plain blue cloth armbands with invisible zips on the inner forearm section - we made them from the same material as the tunic so it would blend in well. We then bought a pack of assorted blue ribbons and wound them around the armband in place on my arms. We then pinned them in place when they looked right and cut along the zipperline. Remove the armbands, sew the ribbons into place (but leaving some slack so they look like they're just wrapped around) and voila! :)

Also SupersonicGabi, you asked about the arm bands...

For my costume, we made plain blue cloth armbands with invisible zips on the inner forearm section - we made them from the same material as the tunic so it would blend in well. We then bought a pack of assorted blue ribbons and wound them around the armband in place on my arms. We then pinned them in place when they looked right and cut along the zipperline. Remove the armbands, sew the ribbons into place (but leaving some slack so they look like they're just wrapped around) and voila! :)

Ahh smart. I'm kinda considering using all my fabric scraps from the tunic. I have some scrap denim and cording I may work in too.

I think I'm overestimating what I can get done between 6 when I get home and when I gotta get to bed. I'm trying to get it passably done to wear to my friends wedding tomorrow, but my family is also catering it so I'm gonna probably have to be up at the crack of dawn :(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I am using fabric paint marker to achieve the effect. using two shades of blue, slightly lighter than the base material and a pearlescent blue to make it pop. One thing to notice is that the fabric where the design is located is noticeably different than the base tunic making it look like embroidery. I am using cotton webbing to achieve the effect.

GAlTVht.jpg

View attachment 653646

Hoping to tackle the beast of a project that is this costume in early 2017, but already starting in on gathering information and supplies; this threads been so helpful!

My small contribution so far comes from my pre-teen years in the 90's when friendship bracelet weaving was all the rage; the braided trims on his "bracer" pieces look to me to be a fishtail braid and a five (possibly six, need to test with the colors) strand braid, both are pretty easy to do with minimal practice; should be lots of tutorials online for how-to if anyone wants to braid their own trims :)

Untitled.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back