Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 8.44.55 PM.png I think this was an ANH stunt of some kind. Gaffer tape on the neck. and a brass windvane.

I´m just saying that with this kind of grial found, is strange not having more clear pics of it since almost a year ago, not just disorted pictures took of a screen with a DSLR camera, dont you think? Why those pictures showed at the SWCA big screen have not been published in all this time?
And is verified that is the original prop of the film? where? how? Until the moment i see more clear pictures of it and the authenticity is certified, i will still having doubts. Elstree props have good reputation too... I´m not saying that is fake. I just have reasonable doubts until i see facts that proof that is genuine.

There are no doubts as to the authenticity of this piece. You need to go back to post #625 on page 25 of this thread and read on from there. But there you'll find this link, containing a video:
http://www.originalprop.com/blog/20...original-props-and-costumes-discussion-panel/

It's not that strange that we don't have better copies of these photos. The prop belongs to a private collector who can share (or not share) photos as he pleases. He's showed enough to prove its authenticity, with detailed comparison shots. I imagine these photos may get published someday, we just may have to wait a while. Then we'll be all, "Oooo, the color!" and "Ooo, the lever!" and "Ooo, the mystery chunk!"

There are no doubts as to the authenticity of this piece. You need to go back to post #625 on page 25 of this thread and read on from there. But there you'll find this link, containing a video:
http://www.originalprop.com/blog/20...original-props-and-costumes-discussion-panel/

It's not that strange that we don't have better copies of these photos. The prop belongs to a private collector who can share (or not share) photos as he pleases. He's showed enough to prove its authenticity, with detailed comparison shots. I imagine these photos may get published someday, we just may have to wait a while. Then we'll be all, "Oooo, the color!" and "Ooo, the lever!" and "Ooo, the mystery chunk!"
I read all posts and saw the video. All I saw was some comparison pictures distorted and blurry took of a screen with a DSLR camera. I can't judge any authenticity with those pictures. Just believe this person and the ones who were at swca. I know he is not forced to show the pics, but until I can check them, I will still having doubts.

Is the most "controversial" and mysterious lightsaber of the saga because the lack of pictures and clear references, and once found, still not having clear pictures of it (yes, the distorted blurry video pictures, but not enough) At least is strange.

View attachment 605258 I think this was an ANH stunt of some kind. Gaffer tape on the neck. and a brass windvane.

Wasn't this said to be a resin or metal cast because of the seam line? I'm sure we see this one in the LFL Round Blade video in the other thread.

Yea, I know today it's beat to hell now... and half the area is covered by gaffer's tape now too....To me this has to do with it's relationship to the original OWK hero prop (grenade and booster) as well.

Like I said earlier, I have no doubt that it originally was painted in a similar fashion, or the same way, as the Shared Stunt starting out earlier in its life. They both were used as stunts of the Hero and had to at least resemble the Hero OWK color-wise.The real thing that gets me is that before the V2 and Shared Stunt went off to become the hilts that they are now, being used as duel practice swords, they would've looked exactly the same, barring the minute details of each scratch and chip in paint, and finding out which one is which in each photo taken of it post-ANH, seems almost impossible with what evidence we have currently.

EDIT: I'm sure this (one on the far right with a hole) is the same as this one in the picture you posted, or one cast of it. They both have the molded Graflex clamp & lever.
Schermafbeelding 2015-04-10 om 13.53.18_zps023rhm8e.png

Also, @BAlinger15 - is there any semblance of any color on the neck/windvane of the V2 you possess other than black?

Last edited:
It's not that strange that we don't have better copies of these photos. The prop belongs to a private collector who can share (or not share) photos as he pleases.

I've only been online and participating in forums since mid 1986, so maybe not as long as some of the veterans here, but in my opinion it's well beyond strange that not only additional photos haven't been uploaded but that the celebration photos haven't been published online. It is completely counter to typical human behavior and historical events for these images to not exist in one or two places, such as members-only forums, and then to not have been distributed far and wide.

He's showed enough to prove its authenticity, with detailed comparison shots.

Sure. But the new photos show pretty much different paint weathering compared to the stills from the movie - I'm not drawing conclusions from that because it could all be additional damage/weathering over the years along with some touch-ups, but it would also be fairly straight-forward for the new photos to be of a replica or alternate saber. Just saying.

Also, there's absolutely no doubt that there are two layers of different colored paint, both chipped, in the screen shots. No color timing can cause that to appear the way it's showing up in Inigo's screen caps. Whether it's brass, copper, burnt umber or sienna brown, it's still a second color under the black.

At the end of the day however, it's all going to be a matter of "good enough" - and that can vary from person to person. Even with 101 photos of whatever prop anyone has in their possession today and 1001 still frames of the original movie(s), no one's going to finish a replica that's absolutely perfect (as mentioned, even the "screen used" prop isn't precisely the same as any of the stills taken from the movie.) It's just not possible given the amount of change in the appearance of the prop from sample to sample image and whatever has happened to the physical object(s) over the course of production and years since. I'm fine with that.

Last edited:
I visited some family friends over the weekend with two dorky and rather eccentric girls under ten. I brought my V2. They wanted to see a real lightsaber prop and this one needed some weathering.

They managed to pull the emitter head right off. I don't know how. The allen screws were still in the nipple and the rod wasn't scratched :lol

I just screwed it back on with some allen wrenches, but I swear it rattles a bit more :)

NEVER underestimate the power of small children and their capacity to undo hard work :lol

Wasn't this said to be a resin or metal cast because of the seam line? I'm sure we see this one in the LFL Round Blade video in the other thread.

I don' t see any seams, but it looks like it's all once piece and the a couple of the middle rings looked chipped and or bent. Maybe the heat made it softer after shooting many different takes?

Last edited:
Dave Prowse posted this picture on Twitter thte other day. Shows Mark Hamill wearing the V2. Never seen it before. Wondering if anyone has a higher res version

Cf8c2Q-UAAIFJtM.jpg

I think this photo was posted in the thread early on but I don't know if it would be any higher resolution or not. Wouldn't hurt to look, though.

So I wound up reading the "List of RotJ Luke Sabers" thread and this Sail Barge "mystery" saber is bugging the hell out of me. My initial feeling was that this is one of the cast RotJ stunt copies but the bug bit me, and after some researching, a really big part of me thinks this is the "Shared Stunt" before it was tinkered with to look like the thing we know today.

Blowing the image up, I don't think it can be the V2 because at this point, not only was the V2 all black, but the V2 had the mystery chunk and the transcriptor knob added, as well as maintaining the long lever, and in this photo, near the third pommel cube from the d-ring, we would've seen not just the mystery chunk, but the transcriptor knob as well. "They could've been removed", one might say but even if that were so, there'd still be a discernible hole where the chunk would've gone into, right above the pommel cube. This doesn't have that. However, if this were the Shared Stunt, the hole would be on the first pommel cube to the left of the d-ring, just out of sight from us.

attachment.php

One thing that really bugs me in this image is that the upper neck looks too long to be any of the ANH stunt sabers. The Yuma stunt had a long neck and paint chipping on it too but keeping me from fully believing that it's one of the Yuma stunts is considering this next photo of the saber from another angle. Considering what we know of the Shared and V2's history together, the color scheme and the overall wear to the paint, coupled with the extent of how far the clamp lever sticks out, makes me really lean towards that this is the Shared Stunt, pre-Death Star 2 modification.

vlcsnap5331257ly2.jpg

However, I still maintain one huge discrepancy about my own theory as to what this is and it lies in the uniformity of the metal's color and sheen. Not just on the saber body but extending to the clamp and lever. It may very well be the lighting, resolution, and whatever else affecting it, but the saber's color looks too uniform to me; very similar to the metal/resin cast stunts of the sabers glimpsed in the "Discoveries from the Inside" clip.

attachment.php

But again, it all could just be lighting, the angle of the hilt, and the quality of the image affecting all of this.

Attachments

• SharedorStuntCopy.png
    SharedorStuntCopy.png
    604.7 KB · Views: 1,250
Last edited:
Well, by gummy, it's either a cast or a Yuma, then; I don't think it can be the V2. If it isn't any of these then file this one under "M" for mystery!:wacko

Last edited:
I think that's gaffer tape on the neck, like the V2 to keep it from moving. The sabers poor condition has always screamed ANH era saber to me., the yumas were a very different shape. I think you're on to something here, very thorough explanation.

it could be a resin cast too but the yumas were too pretty and the R2 sabers included the neck groove and we're all one piece.

The thing that throws me off are these two:

LukeROTJ7_zpse4cc8fdf.jpg

I've read that the above photo is of the Shared Stunt, and to me, that still has some paint on it and the nipple.

1_510042659023050_1369330259_o-vi.jpg

But then there's this one, and it's said that's the Shared Stunt, which I can buy but it's minus the nipple at this point. Being that Yuma is after this shoot and, if the one on the sail barge is to be believed to be the other stunt, then this would mean that it was altered some time after the Yuma and would place this image as either a re-shoot or a pick-up shot that was done later. Or alternatively, this could've been another cast as well.

Ugh, it's late, I don't think I'm making sense anymore. Somebody else take over.:p

Last edited:
I think that was filmed here in the US in California but idk when. If it was before Yuma that's a really interesting problem! I do wonder if there were more than two ANH stunts. They used something from ANh to cast the R2 air cannon sabers. That didn't have a nipple either, coincidentally, but that may be moot.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back