Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

View attachment 667437

Alright......ladies and gentlemen! It is time to begin the backpack! The item of this build I have been waiting to start the longest!
May the Force be with me.

YESSZZ!!! I absolutely loved making both of mine... the kit-bashed messenger bag AND the from-scratch leather one.

Exciting times! Be sure to post progress pics.

- - - Updated - - -

@Goldhawk

i can't wait to follow ur build. Any chance of creating a separate build thread? Just saying these 120 page threads are tough to filter thru.

Anyone have are a set of plans for this backpack.

I do have. I need to find a way of making them digital for sharing. They are drafted out on paper, full scale. I could try scanning and assembling the images, but really dimensions are all anyone should really need. Perhaps if I take pictures of the plans and give dimensions?

By the way, for anyone making Rey's backpack I have modeled two of the canisters you need for someone here in France and thought others might be interested too? Both are hollow inside and have functional lids.
should12.jpg

backpa12.jpg

Dimensions for both:
should14.jpg
backpa14.jpg

So if anyone's interested I can upload them on Shapeways so you can order them directly. Or if you prefer I can make the 3D files directly available but I don't know how good they'll come out if printed with a FDM printer.

@Goldhawk

i can't wait to follow ur build. Any chance of creating a separate build thread? Just saying these 120 page threads are tough to filter thru.

Anyone have are a set of plans for this backpack.
I'll start a backpack build thread and link to it here (I think that's ok). I'm using divison 6's pattern for the backpack, but I'll post it again on my build thread.

By the way, for anyone making Rey's backpack I have modeled two of the canisters you need for someone here in France and thought others might be interested too? Both are hollow inside and have functional lids.
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/12/31/04/96/should12.jpg

http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/12/31/04/96/backpa12.jpg

Dimensions for both:
http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/12/31/04/96/should14.jpg http://i97.servimg.com/u/f97/12/31/04/96/backpa14.jpg

So if anyone's interested I can upload them on Shapeways so you can order them directly. Or if you prefer I can make the 3D files directly available but I don't know how good they'll come out if printed with a FDM printer.

That was for me :D Both of the canister came out very well.
DSC07778.JPGDSC07781.JPG

I do have. I need to find a way of making them digital for sharing. They are drafted out on paper, full scale. I could try scanning and assembling the images, but really dimensions are all anyone should really need. Perhaps if I take pictures of the plans and give dimensions?

Pictures next to a ruler, accompanied by measurements would work well. Otherwise scanning them and copying into some graphics program at the appropriate size for 1:1 printing.

Either way id like to check out ur plans.

That was for me :D Both of the canister came out very well.
Perfect, I was about to ask you if you could chime in ;). Didn't want to use your pics without your approval.

So for anyone interested, here are the links to order them through Shapeways (I'm not making any markup on these if you're wondering):
Shapeways Shoulder Canister
Shapeways Backpack Canister

And if you prefer printing them on your own, here's the link to download directly the 3D files. But please keep in mind that those are optimized for Shapeways, so printing them with a FDM printer might be a little more complicated. Nothing impossible though.
Rey's Backpack Canisters

Of course I have to precise that even though I offering these for free, I'm not giving anyone the permission to use these 3D files to create masters and make resin runs thanks to them after.

T5H.

Last edited:
Perfect, I was about to ask you if you could chime in ;). Didn't want to use your pics without your approval.

So for anyone interested, here are the links to order them through Shapeways (I'm not making any markup on these if you're wondering):
Shapeways Shoulder Canister
Shapeways Backpack Canister

And if you prefer printing them on your own, here's the link to download directly the 3D files. But please keep in mind that those are optimized for Shapeways, so printing them with a FDM printer might be a little more complicated. Nothing impossible though.
Rey's Backpack Canisters

Of course I have to precise that even though I offering these for free, I'm not giving anyone the permission to use these 3D files to create masters and make resin runs thanks to them after.

T5H.

Thank you for the 3D files for the canisters , an just about to start making bag so these will be so helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone is working on a Rey staff at present I have some extra strap hardware if anyone wants them, I found you can't buy two or one of anything
theses days. You buy packs of something. I have four sets of lobster claws and four fixed bar buckles. Two of the sets have lobster claws that are 1.25"
and two that are 1.5". I believe the 1.5" wide are the correct size, but the 1.25" look just as nice to my eye. You can see in the pictures the difference.
I found the correct D-rings at Home Depot for a 98¢ each. At least those you can buy one of.

View attachment 666528View attachment 666529View attachment 666530

I'm definitely interested. I'm working on a 3/4 sized version for my 5 year old daughter. Just finished weathering now I need to make the strap. Please PM me.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4653.JPG
    IMG_4653.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4652.JPG
    IMG_4652.JPG
    959.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4651.JPG
    IMG_4651.JPG
    871.2 KB · Views: 83
VERY proud (and rather absent...) Thread Momma here! I want to congratulate every single one of you on your amazing Rey cosplays, your dedication to the craft, your willingness to help each other out, and making this community a great one. We're already gaining a great reputation in the cosplay world at large for being Sister Reys, #reyitforward (best hashtag ever, kristenjones), and willing to help at a moment's notice.

Next, I will be working on writing up a Master blog post entitled "The Ultimate Guide to Rey's Costume" to help future Reys out. A lot of folks are showing up here, on Facebook, and my personal blog with costume questions, so I thought, why not make a one-stop guide? (With a link here of course, for folks to ask more questions and meet this lovely community). I'll post a link to it here when I'm done.

In the meantime, my Rey costume is finally finished! I debuted her at Dragoncon, then did some fitting tweaks, and did another photoshoot with a 501st friend who did an amazing Kylo Ren (his first ever costume and first ever photoshoot! I was honoured to be a part of it. He killed it!). I also was able to join the Rebel Legion (as of yesterday), so I'm incredibly excited to use this costume to give back to the community. Yes, wearing a costume for oneself is fun, but there's nothing quite like watching kids' faces light up when they see their hero. Or heck, even seeing fellow Rey's faces light up when they see you (there was a lot of that at Dragoncon this year!). Thanks again to all of you who helped me out in making and bringing this costume together! (you know who you are. ;) ) Seriously, our little Rey community really pulled together to help me make this costume. I've cried big fat Jakku tears on more than one occasion due to generosity. So I'm going to do my best to be worthy of said generosity and give back in any way I can.

Rebel Legion.JPGKylo_Ren2016 (167 of 396).jpg14470921_10155255011563662_441125625_n.jpg14445631_10154119152076725_207053881_n.jpg14463219_10155280686193662_5389588910584453482_n.jpg14556031_10155284101143662_2137186209_n.jpg14619879_10154145803761725_425449307_n.jpg14285458_10153914308588424_1076044250_o.jpgFRI_6172.JPGFRI_6164.JPG

Rebel Legion.JPG

Kylo_Ren2016 (167 of 396).jpg

14470921_10155255011563662_441125625_n.jpg

14445631_10154119152076725_207053881_n.jpg

14463219_10155280686193662_5389588910584453482_n.jpg

14556031_10155284101143662_2137186209_n.jpg

14619879_10154145803761725_425449307_n.jpg

14285458_10153914308588424_1076044250_o.jpg

FRI_6172.JPG

FRI_6164.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone link me to the best resource for the soft parts of her staff...namely the leather strappy things that connect to the enfield straps as well as the appropriate way the wrappings should be contstructed.

thanks,
den

Of course PoZu puts out a coupon code right after I ordered....!!!

"To celebrate our 10th anniversary we are offering you 10% off all orders for the next 10 days, use code BIRTHDAY10 at checkout."

By the way, Piper V in Dark Brown is back in stock in all sizes at Po-Zu.com (this is the screen accurate boot someone sourced and then also convinced Po-Zu to start producing again!)

http://po-zu.com/products/piper-v-dark-brown?variant=8243253763

I caved and ordered a pair last night! TREAT YO'SELF!

View attachment 667595

can anyone link me to the best resource for the soft parts of her staff...namely the leather strappy things that connect to the enfield straps as well as the appropriate way the wrappings should be contstructed.

thanks,
den
I made mine from the blank leather straps you can find at craft stores. You know, the ones that you're supposed to make cuff/ bracelets out of. I made a paper mockup on my staff, and added about an inch for the snaps.

Here's my pattern for mine. I think my pipe base was 3/4 of an inch wide, but I'm not 100 percent.
Rey Staff Holder.
Top/bottom of holder: 5" long, 1" wide. Cut 2.
Middle pieces to connect the top/bottom: 3 1/4" long, 1" wide. Cut 2.
For reference, here's a pic of mine.
Everything about it was bought at hobby lobby.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Sorry about the crappy shots. My usual photo taking device is currently out of commission.

Wow wow those boots are actually kinda cool. Aside from costuming. They're like uggs that aren't ugly

Of course PoZu puts out a coupon code right after I ordered....!!!

"To celebrate our 10th anniversary we are offering you 10% off all orders for the next 10 days, use code BIRTHDAY10 at checkout."

Wow, this thread is a bit huge :) I'm looking at the staff and was wondering what a good source for stls for 3D printing would be? I've seen references to a 1" dowel as a base, but some of the files look more like 1 1/8". Suggestions?

thanks,
den

Contact JUSTINIAN. He makes excellent ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, this thread is a bit huge :) I'm looking at the staff and was wondering what a good source for stls for 3D printing would be? I've seen references to a 1" dowel as a base, but some of the files look more like 1 1/8". Suggestions?

https://www.facebook.com/JGPenland/

Jonathan makes an excellent Rey Staff kit.

Alternately, you could contact JUSTINIAN. He has a fantastic resin kit which is also designed to fit on 1" dowels. 1-1/8" is too big, in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

VERY proud (and rather absent...) Thread Momma here! I want to congratulate every single one of you on your amazing Rey cosplays, your dedication to the craft, your willingness to help each other out, and making this community a great one. We're already gaining a great reputation in the cosplay world at large for being Sister Reys, #reyitforward (best hashtag ever, kristenjones), and willing to help at a moment's notice.

Next, I will be working on writing up a Master blog post entitled "The Ultimate Guide to Rey's Costume" to help future Reys out. A lot of folks are showing up here, on Facebook, and my personal blog with costume questions, so I thought, why not make a one-stop guide? (With a link here of course, for folks to ask more questions and meet this lovely community). I'll post a link to it here when I'm done.

In the meantime, my Rey costume is finally finished! I debuted her at Dragoncon, then did some fitting tweaks, and did another photoshoot with a 501st friend who did an amazing Kylo Ren (his first ever costume and first ever photoshoot! I was honoured to be a part of it. He killed it!). I also was able to join the Rebel Legion (as of yesterday), so I'm incredibly excited to use this costume to give back to the community. Yes, wearing a costume for oneself is fun, but there's nothing quite like watching kids' faces light up when they see their hero. Or heck, even seeing fellow Rey's faces light up when they see you (there was a lot of that at Dragoncon this year!). Thanks again to all of you who helped me out in making and bringing this costume together! (you know who you are. ;) ) Seriously, our little Rey community really pulled together to help me make this costume. I've cried big fat Jakku tears on more than one occasion due to generosity. So I'm going to do my best to be worthy of said generosity and give back in any way I can.

View attachment 670220View attachment 670221View attachment 670222View attachment 670223View attachment 670225View attachment 670226View attachment 670227View attachment 670228View attachment 670229View attachment 670230

VERY proud of you... and geeked to bits that you've joined the Legion.

This is what it's all about! <3

https://www.facebook.com/JGPenland/

Jonathan makes an excellent Rey Staff kit.

Alternately, you could contact JUSTINIAN. He has a fantastic resin kit which is also designed to fit on 1" dowels. 1-1/8" is too big, in my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestions - we're really hoping to print ours as we have a printer and it would be more satisfying that way. Might start with Delphius's staff on Thingiverse, but I think I agree that 1" would be better, and there seem to be other tweaks we'd want to make. I can't ever seem to just print whatever someone else posts, I always seem to find things to mess with :)

And so it begins... Finally. This is how I spent the past several hours. So. Much. Taupe.

QiVGdsMl.jpg

I'm getting close! I'm mainly torn on which fabric to use for the wrap. I know a lot of people have used the viscose from Dharma, but it seems so stiff to me, and has basically no texture. The JoAnn crinkle cotton isn't super accurate, but I like the drape a lot more. I considered ordering the crinkle viscose from the UK eBay seller but I've put so much damn money into this costume already... and still need to get a belt, too. :unsure

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back