Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [Completed!]

Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP]

Question: What makes the fingers return to straight?

Any pics of that... pretty please?

Question: What makes the fingers return to straight?

Any pics of that... pretty please?

Watching this thread with GREAT interest! :) I'm sure he can elaborate on it much better, but if you look in the pics above the video, you can see the black cord (thicker one) which I would think returns them to a straight position; looks kinda like thin bungee cords.

So you've got (per finger) one cord attached to the caps that go on his fingers; pulling them make the fingers bend. Then you have a bungee cord putting tension on the finger, pulling it back straight when he relaxes his finger.

ATM
ShackMan

I can see the cords I guess I just don't understand the geometry of it.

I'd really like to see better pics of the inside of the fingers.
Maybe with the top.. no bottom, yeah, the bottom piece, removed for clarity.
Its obvious how pulling the cord along the bottom makes the finger curl.
I feel like the cord along the top should be causing the same curling action.

The finger sections overlap, so they can't travel past the 0 degree point when opened. Pics on post #261.

I can see the cords I guess I just don't understand the geometry of it.

I'd really like to see better pics of the inside of the fingers.
Maybe with the top.. no bottom, yeah, the bottom piece, removed for clarity.
Its obvious how pulling the cord along the bottom makes the finger curl.
I feel like the cord along the top should be causing the same curling action.

Shackman is correct. There are a elastic bands running down the spine of each finger and a pull string that runs down the belly of each finger. The elastic keeps the fingers straight as long as I am not pulling the string. As laellee said the finger overlap wont allow the pieces to bend in the opposite direction. Below is a link to an early video of the mark II finger test that shows how it works. The design has been altered since then, but the mechanics are the same.

Mark II articulated finger test - YouTube

Last edited:

Amazing build!!! The video of the movig fist made me scream inside of my room. My wife asked me what it was about and now she's acting like I'm a little child. :lol

I've seen the 09-26-13 vid but for some reason (attaboy, frikin' hughes.net) the MKII vid won't load for me.
I understand it. I just can't visualize it.

Shackman is correct. There are a elastic bands running down the spine of each finger and a pull string that runs down the belly of each finger. The elastic keeps the fingers straight [SNIP] an early video of the mark II finger test that shows how it works. The design has been altered since then, but the mechanics are the same.

Mark II articulated finger test - YouTube

Great work you've got going on. When fully dressed, how do you feel in the armor? Do you feel bulky? Do you feel like you could go for a run in it?

Great work you've got going on. When fully dressed, how do you feel in the armor? Do you feel bulky? Do you feel like you could go for a run in it?

Well, it's extremely large and mildly cumbersome. Walking isn't hard, but you do have to lumber. It will be rather hot inside and you do not have to option of sitting. Its not a casual costume, nor can you be in it for more than an an hour, maybe two,at a time. I have tried running. The best I could do is an awkward jog. That was only possible on flat ground as well. There is no off-roading happening in this thing. The risk of falling is too great when the ground is uneven.

That said, I think it will be a real show stopper and well worth any discomfort I might experience. It FEELS awesome to wear it, and it will be all that much better when other people are getting a kick out of it.

Progress continues on the powerfist. The ABS has been chopped up to reduce weight, the thumb has been printed and mounted and I am currently working on the foam body. Here are some pics and a video!

Video:
Mark III powerfist progress 9-29-13 - YouTube

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

OMG! That first photo in chest armour with the fist looks incredible. I can't wait to see the total outfit when complete.
Are you planning any further modifications to the armour? You must be close to painting? So excited, I feel like I'm a little kid!

This is coming on really nicely! I saw your vid up on the RPF facebook page so had to come and see how you were getting on. There is one tiny thing that is bugging me about the wonderfully crafted power fist and that the back of the hand is flat. Are you going to add a slight curve to it to get that natural hand shape?

This is coming on really nicely! I saw your vid up on the RPF facebook page so had to come and see how you were getting on. There is one tiny thing that is bugging me about the wonderfully crafted power fist and that the back of the hand is flat. Are you going to add a slight curve to it to get that natural hand shape?

Well. Thankfully it is supposed to be flat. The actual game model has no curve to the knuckles. It makes it much easier to make. A curve would cause all the fingers to run into each outer when you bend them.

The hand "bell" is really what gives that curve (or the illusion of it), the fingers stay on a flat plane though, like Sylgian said.

m2050462_99060101409_SMSternguardPF_445x319.jpg

4472_md-Jump%20Pack,%20Power%20Fist,%20Sergeant,%20Space%20Marines.jpg

Well, it's extremely large and mildly cumbersome. Walking isn't hard, but you do have to lumber. It will be rather hot inside and you do not have to option of sitting. Its not a casual costume, nor can you be in it for more than an an hour, maybe two,at a time. I have tried running. The best I could do is an awkward jog. That was only possible on flat ground as well. There is no off-roading happening in this thing. The risk of falling is too great when the ground is uneven.

That said, I think it will be a real show stopper and well worth any discomfort I might experience. It FEELS awesome to wear it, and it will be all that much better when other people are getting a kick out of it.

Thank you for that info. I think I mentioned it somewhere, I'm about to embark on this journey myself and you've definitely set the bar. I've not done an armor build so all of the little woodwork questions are starting to roll out.

You say you've got about an hour or two in at best because of overheating. Have you thought of building some conduit and making the backpack a functional cooling system? How do you intend to handle temps and such?

Not to step on Sylgian's toes but I'm embarking on a similar build and I'm trying to engineer a cooling system into the backpack utilizing computer case fans and possibly ice packs if it isn't too heavy. If I get it set up the way that I want I will put together a how-to for the backpack.

Thumb looks good dude, BUT...

Doesn't a thumb only have two joints, as opposed to a finger (which obviously has three)????

DAMN YOU AND THE AWESOME **** YOU KEEP PRODUCING OFF THAT KICK ASS 3D PRINTER!!!!!

Keep up the epicness bro.

Thank you for that info. I think I mentioned it somewhere, I'm about to embark on this journey myself and you've definitely set the bar. I've not done an armor build so all of the little woodwork questions are starting to roll out.

You say you've got about an hour or two in at best because of overheating. Have you thought of building some conduit and making the backpack a functional cooling system? How do you intend to handle temps and such?

Not to step on Sylgian's toes but I'm embarking on a similar build and I'm trying to engineer a cooling system into the backpack utilizing computer case fans and possibly ice packs if it isn't too heavy. If I get it set up the way that I want I will put together a how-to for the backpack.

My backpack does house a case fan to move air through the suit. At least a little. I am not certain how much air it will move, but it's better than nothing :) If all else fails it glows. Points for glowing.

Thumb looks good dude, BUT...

Doesn't a thumb only have two joints, as opposed to a finger (which obviously has three)????

DAMN YOU AND THE AWESOME **** YOU KEEP PRODUCING OFF THAT KICK ASS 3D PRINTER!!!!!

Keep up the epicness bro.

Thanks! The thumb and its joints have been mentioned a few times now. It is literally a copy of the pinky right now. While a thumb technically has the same amount of joints as a finger. The thumbs metacarpal does hinge very near the wrist and is hidden by the meat of the hand. I am considering making a new thumb with only two visible joints, but its not topping the list of priorities for a little while.

I just read this entire thread.

THIS. IS. AWESOME!!!

The fact that you're working out all the engineering behind it to make it work to your liking is amazing! I can't wait to see it come to completion!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back