Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Here's a basic on the belt.
transition in shape and size on ends are a bit of a guess since I haven't found any good clear pix.
I do know they go down to about 1/2" where they fold back and weave through it's self.

Length can be adjusted to your waist size.

reys belt.jpg

I would suggest looking at your reference and also doing a paper pattern to get everything worked out and to scale.

I've found that using cheap fabric works great for doing a mock up of something that curves. As a bonus you have a permanent template when you're done that can be reused. Paper and curves dont like each other lol

@JJ Griffin the nice thing about Rey is you can see the hand stitching on her tunic isn't perfect, so a little trial and error would be ok for her costume.

@jedichristy welcome. I believe most are fabricating the belt from leather blank. Tandy leather has belt blanks for a good price usually. Or you could find one that is the right color and repurpose it. Though a store bought belt will have holes that would need filled.

True, but we are just... Awful. No clue what we are doing, no patterns, no sewing machine, etc. We'd honestly rather commission one of you dedicated seamstresses here. :) Safer bet of a quality outfit by the time the premiere hits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found that using cheap fabric works great for doing a mock up of something that curves. As a bonus you have a permanent template when you're done that can be reused. Paper and curves dont like each other lol

Yeah I did think of using cheap muslin since I probably have lots of scrap around here somewhere.

Hi!

I'm Moe Hunt! I'm new to the RPF, but you guys seriously helped me out SO much on making my Rey outfit! I thought I would share some pictures of the progress on my costume! I ended up opted for a wig and just spraying my hair with brown hairspray. I thought it worked out pretty well and it was much more comfortable than a wig. :) Thank you, theladynerd, for your fabric suggestions. I ordered both of the Dharmatrading fabric and they worked wonderfully!

It's not perfect, but I made it in 2 days before Dragon*Con. :p So, I'll go back and fix things eventually!
11896139_1033250646708726_3594103294558938727_n.jpg11947685_964402996951708_6575899322822050359_n.jpg11951779_964418423616832_8911659464007150293_n.jpg11987067_1035736369793487_8903477332498777329_n.jpg

Last edited:
For a 2 day build, you did fabulous ! And your hair turned out great. I was also Rey at Dragon Con along with one other Rey (that I saw). So sorry I didn't see you also. We had the privilege of taking part in the official Star Wars photo shoot ! So much fun.

Hi!

I'm Moe Hunt! I'm new to the RPF, but you guys seriously helped me out SO much on making my Rey outfit! I thought I would share some pictures of the progress on my costume! I ended up opted for a wig and just spraying my hair with brown hairspray. I thought it worked out pretty well and it was much more comfortable than a wig. :) Thank you, theladynerd, for your fabric suggestions. I ordered both of the Dharmatrading fabric and they worked wonderfully!

It's not perfect, but I made it in 2 days before Dragon*Con. :p So, I'll go back and fix things eventually!
View attachment 529042View attachment 529043View attachment 529044View attachment 529045

Was great meeting you at DragonCon. :)

P7sM4pD.jpg

We'll always have the VIP section at the Aquarium! ;) You make a helluva Rey!

Great work on both costumes. :thumbsup

Nice progress on the pouch Mira.
Mine is still untouched since It's being used to store supplies for the costume.

Anyone have or know of a source for "fashion registry" chain in the US ?
I only need about 6" and don't want to buy 100' from China.

chain.jpg

Hi everyone! I'm new to theRPF and I'm excited to start my Rey cosplay for the premier. Thank you SO MUCH for all your posts in this thread, it has been extremely helpful!

For Rey's pants, I found this sewing pattern (Kwik Sew 3835) in style B. I realize some of you got lucky and found some pants at Forever 21, but I'd really like to make my own out of silk. Opinions?

Rey Pants.jpg

Welcome to the forum. I'm your boyfriend's sister's boyfriend, btw. That pattern looks nearly perfect, probably won't require much work.

Hey all!

I just wanted to drop in and give a few updates on my contributions towards this thread. I'm getting the final okay today for my week off work, which is looking more and more like its going to fall at the end of September rather than in October. There's more than enough people on the list to cover the costs, so I'm kind of going to throw out the list out and just put a link to my etsy store on here once I'm able to finalize the price. If I've promised you a staff, you'll definitely get one, but taking preorders on etsy seems like the best way to make sure that everyone who wants one gets one instead of me trying to keep track of a list, and its also going to let me charge a flat rate for shipping. Its also going to make keeping track of everyone's payments and shipping info easier. When I actually post the link I'll include a deadline that orders need to be in by in order to ensure the kits ship in time for the movie.

If you're going to opt out of buying my staff and go for the 20 dollars one linked above, no hard feelings at all. My kits will be in the range of 100-150 dollars without shipping, so I totally understand about going for the cheaper option that requires less assembly.

If for some reason you really want a staff and etsy doesn't work for you (I foresee some issue around international shipping, and I've had atleast one person ask about this so far) just send me a PM at the time and we can work something else out.

EDIT: It's approved! Construction on the staff kits begins in earnest on September 21.

Hello! I am a new member here at the TRPF. This thread was been so helpful!!! :D

I wanted to know if the Staff build is still happening and how can we sign up to order it? Thanks!

For Rey's pants, I found this sewing pattern (Kwik Sew 3835) in style B. I realize some of you got lucky and found some pants at Forever 21, but I'd really like to make my own out of silk. Opinions?

View attachment 531019

Ooo, note on that one - the pattern is made for stretch fabric (like lycra or spandex), so the measurements will be off if you're using silk. (I was about to buy this pattern and went 'oh wait....dangit.')

Welcome jedichristy and moehuntvoices and Dela7x!

moehuntvoices - Your costume looks great! I might have to do what you did with the hair. I have the right colour, but my hair is stupidly fine and there's not alot of it. I can't even do a normal bun on myself (it's more of a button....), so to do 3 I'm going to have to get crafty. And you're welcome! I.....still need to order my fabric....

Division 6 - Good work on the belt pattern (and thank you!). I think a few of us were scratching our heads trying to figure that darn thing out. (Also, duuuuude, you are dedicated in making this. My hat's off to you!)

I'm currently trying to figure out the leather cuff. It seems simplistic enough, but there's a little piece that sticks out that I'm trying to figure out it's purpose and how it attaches.

JJ Griffin - Your Finn was AWESOME! I saw you running around Dragoncon with my friend Sith Camaro (Kylo Ren) and his girlfriend (Rey). :)

UPDATE on my costume:
Yeaaaah......so I haven't even started mine (yay for lack of money!). So I'm stuck in Research Purgatory. Haven't gotten my Po-Zu email yet, but hopefully I will soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started mapping out the bracer but haven't finished it yet.

I bought some leather on sale from Tandy Leather that in the pic looked like the same texture (see link below) as the bracer but when I got it it was smooth.
After looking at a leather working forum and think of I do some rolling and crushing I may get the right texture.
According to my research the belly area stretches and will give that texture, the piece I got was this milled double shoulder.

The smoother part (narrow end) is apparently laminated on since you can't get cow hide that smooth on the back.
It would explain the color difference.

At the moment I'm filing and sanding greeblie parts for the pack.
Got the 2 for the left side done accept for the piece of half tubing on the top of the corrugated tube.

All my metal fittings for it and the belt arrived today.

Still need to barrow some leather working tools to get started on the pack and belt.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back