Interesting article on new xbox

Same here. I don't stream movies, i don't buy music from anywhere other than amazon. Most of those features offer nothing to folks who just want to game.

Wile some valid points. I hardly think its a winning argument...

Like the cheap shot about boogey man also. Clearly avoiding other point such as used games issue. Connectivity in down time. Etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess if you're content with things working the same way they have since 1985. Not that there was anything wrong with that, when there wasn't an internet. To me the idea of being able to sign in at a friends place and have my entire library at my disposal was very cool. Gone. The family share plan where you could have ten people on a list who had access to your games seemed really cool as well. Also gone.

Why? So people can hang on to their coasters. :facepalm

But whatever, it's relatively minor stuff and won't impact me much, but it would have been cool.

Would have been a minor perk if any. I think most people play games on their own console. Sharing consoles. Like back in the 80s when we couldnt afford one each lol

Hey, here's a brilliant f'in idea.. how about you keep all that "amazing" stuff and just make it *gasp* OPTIONAL.

Have your cake. AND EAT IT. IT'S AMAZING.

It takes me two days to download a game on Steam. I'll keep my coasters thanks. If someone in my house wants to play a game they can use my profile. It's about the games, not meaningless achievements.

The jedi speaks the truth. Lol.

And perhaps not. But I always associated a coaster as a disk that does not work. As well as a handy little object to prevent coffee stains of course

I agree i'd rather have the disc. EA just shut down their facebook sims and tons of folks spent a lot of cash on it so now they alienated fans of sims, mass effect, dead space, and dragon age.

I don't believe for one second that thier attempted DRM would have dropped game prices by 1 cent. EAs not going to suddenly be happy to take less money on sales because they are suddenly getting a cut of used sales. They would see that as losing money.

Another interesting article, this time on all the feature's we're likely to miss out on now that Microsoft has caved.

http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-jus..._source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

That's still BS. Microsoft and all the game publishers are NEVER going to sell you the game cheaper when they already get you to pay $60 for it. Steam has been around for 10 years on the PC and they have never sold a game cheaper when it first comes out. They may sell a game cheaper eventually when they have sales, but not on average. If they did game sales would be completely digital by now.

Frankly... I don't give a damn, they already lost me as a customer. Like kicking someone in the nuts then kick them again when they're on the ground... only to go: I'm sorry, I take it all back, friends?. F U.

I had a feeling this would happen. Louis CK said it in an interview with Conan years ago... Everything is awesome and nobody is happy.

I was just wondering whether this was a new or relatively new experience for you. Everybody has had the experience of getting very invested in something, then their expectations not being met for its continuance; when you have less context for that it's easier to get really passionate. Certainly in my past I've flown off the handle badly over some of those things. (I am looking at you too here Wes, you NOT old man, grumpy or otherwise.) :lol

I choose not to do that any more for the most part unless it's a serious social issue or that sort of thing but I get the reaction. I'm not playing an old-guy, shut-up-whippersnappers card here by the way, just honestly curious. You guys seem a bit, I guess, outraged? OK, DBS has gone to great lengths to say he's not but he's only making it worse for himself. :lol (I KEED!!!)

Thanks Nwerke!
Your question forced me into taking a close look as to why I even care about this thread.

No this is not a new (experience) for me, as a consumer I always evaluate any and all products that interest me.
My sole (investment) in Microsoft is simply not to buy into there poor anti-consumer product designs.
I have no (expectations) pertaining to Microsoft, its their company, let their employees have the expectations.
I have and can get (passionate) about issues sure, no problem there.

This Kinect fiasco may turn into a serious social issue, the lawmakers are already showing an interest in this
technology, but that story has yet to be played out, and government involvement in itself can be a bad thing.
(My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government._Thomas Jefferson)
I believe the preceding quote contains a magnitude of validity. Look at what happened to William Gains and EC COMICS with government involvement which basically frightened the Comics Magazine Association into establishing the Comics Code as
a self-regulated form of censorship. Has reading comics now or ever caused any form of Juvenile delinquency or
illegal behavior by minors?

(shut-up-whippersnappers card) This thread contains comments such as (paranoia, tin foil hat, strike a blow for freedom
or whatever) that are nothing more, to a degree, than cheap underhanded insults directed towards fellow board members,
questioning their sanity and inferring that they suffer from a mental illness, for posting opposite views and opinions.

If you sling insults around to punctuate your comments, you're opinions lose any and all credibility!

Insulting posts on a public forum do not bother me in the least. Why because my self esteem and ego is not defined by how others perceive me but rather how I conduct myself towards others.

I refuse to lower myself in using insulting comments. Historically I avoid posting any personal opinions on public forums. Why? simply because its just an opinion and we all know everyone has them.

Now this post is one mans opinion and nothing more!

Al

Actually, I think they could have done it 'their way' had they orchestrated a roll out that had semblance of, you know, competence. Replying flippantly to people concerns and essentially saying 'sucks to be you' to a number of people is what put them in the corner they're in now.

It's marketing 101, sell the virtues/positives of what your selling. They chose to somehow highlight everything people won't like. The whole PR department should be dumped. Just a horrific job.

Agreed. Sell the benefits of the console, not the limitations. I think the problem, again, goes back to the brand name and, indeed, even calling the XB1 a "console." It should've been the MS Media Home or something. Oh, and cool! It plays games too! Instead, they called it the XboxOne and gamers lost it. Not without reason, because it was basically a gaming console with a whole lot of other crap gamers don't really care about that much. They sold to the wrong market the wrong way.

The system is already prepped for this to happen. I'll bet you a million bucks they will enact it in less than 2 years. Then what?? Who ever has one already will have no choice because they have everything already set up. You will see bricked Xbox ones in a couple years because they WILL change their policies. IT'S A TRAP!! Mark my words..

Unlikely. It's possible they'll do it incrementally in terms of how XBL works. Adding functionality but requiring you to be logged into your XBL Gold account to do it. Which, I'd say, is actually the smarter way to go. Want to play your coaster offline? Go for it. Want all our extra benefits from cloud gaming? Sign in with your XBL Gold account. That way the changes are optional and offered alongside a bunch of other additional content. But I really don't think they'll say "Thanks for buying it. Now SIGN IN OR WE BRICK YOUR BOX!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Same here. I don't stream movies, i don't buy music from anywhere other than amazon. Most of those features offer nothing to folks who just want to game.

That's fine. I think, again, the issue was that MS' marketing strategy was screwy. They split their focus. They tried to sell a console that did more by emphasizing the more, assuming that their baseline market of gamers would stick around because it's a new console with prettier graphics. What they should've done is sold the thing as a media center device to non-gamers, but talked about how cool it is that it does all these other things.

Or, honestly, sell two products built on the same architecture. The Xbox720, which is basically the same as a 360 but with snazzier graphics, or the XboxOne with all the additional media center capabilities and bundled Kinect. Assuming the manufacturing costs can be made to work, that'd seem the best approach. I think they underestimated the gamer demand (and what it'd cost their gamer market to accept the new features) and overestimated (or undersold to) the non-gamers.

The real failure, as I see it, is of marketing strategy and understanding the marketplace itself. That's where the arrogance comes in.

I agree i'd rather have the disc. EA just shut down their facebook sims and tons of folks spent a lot of cash on it so now they alienated fans of sims, mass effect, dead space, and dragon age.

I tend to think that the issue with that is one of price point and the marketplace, again. MMOs deal with this all the time. The perpetual world model of gaming is attractive for developers and publishers because it can generate a nearly endless revenue stream. But if there aren't enough players, then the revenue stream isn't enough to keep things going, and they shut down. People complain because they've invested so much time and money, but really, they got what they paid for.

Teh marketplace is going to gradually shift to a more temporary-minded model when it comes to gaming. Ownership as a key concept will disappear over time, or at least long-term ownership will. The gaming industry ultimately will want to get people to think about it the way they do with Netflix. You pay your money, get access to stuff, and if we turn the servers off tomorrow, as long as tomorrow is the 31st day of your billing cycle, you've got nothing to complain about. Why? BEcause you got access to the service you paid for and...that's it. It's where they make the game "yours" somehow that people get pissy. What the need to do is stop selling people games, and start offering people things like subscriptions.

I don't believe for one second that thier attempted DRM would have dropped game prices by 1 cent. EAs not going to suddenly be happy to take less money on sales because they are suddenly getting a cut of used sales. They would see that as losing money.

That's still BS. Microsoft and all the game publishers are NEVER going to sell you the game cheaper when they already get you to pay $60 for it. Steam has been around for 10 years on the PC and they have never sold a game cheaper when it first comes out. They may sell a game cheaper eventually when they have sales, but not on average. If they did game sales would be completely digital by now.

I'm sure that, initially, it wouldn't have made a difference. But look at Amazon. They basically broke the back of the brick-and-mortar bookstore and music store industry. My recollection is that they started off a couple bucks cheaper than the stores, but gradually ratcheted down the price to the point where they fundamentally shifted the cost of things like CDs and DVDs across the industry. My point is that when you don't have as much overhead for things like pressing discs and shipping boxes, you don't have to charge as much, and -- more to the point -- you can't justify charging as much. Plus, MS would've been in competition with all the other streaming/downloadable retailers like Amazon, Steam, Gamestop, Gamersgate, not to mention the publishers like EA, Ubisoft, etc.

MS wouldn't see it as "losing" money if they're making considerably more profit. Think of it this way. If you sell to console gamers at an average of $50 per game, but only see about 15% profit per sale, what if you could eliminate enough overhead to drop the price to $30 per game and see 45% profit? You'd be pocketing almost double the money, and might even increase your volume because of the perception among consumers that they're getting the game for dramatically cheaper.

Sure, some older guys would see it as leaving money on the table, but once you figure out the price point taht'll move the product, you just have to tell them "You can sell zero games at $60, or you can sell a bajillion at $45. What'll it be?"

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back