Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys just thought is come and say hi! Long time lurker here on this thread... Received my MAG V2's on Tuesday and have decided to mod the toe this morning! Never done any modding before and know very little about mods and making props etc, but with your guidelines, tutorials and input here I'm manning up and making a boyhood dream come true... I've decided to start with the most difficult mod so if I mess up then I have done so at the beginning and haven't got my hopes up to see my creation all at the last hurdle! If I have any questions I'm sure you guys will help me through this journey!

I also plan on making the Nike Footwear bag too as my box got completely destroyed in transit to the uk! I'm a fabricator welder by trade so I plan to make this out of aluminium... Shouldn't be too difficult!

Thanks guys!

Sugar779 welcome to the forum and good to see someone new about to mod these shoes. When you do the toe slim, will it be a simple steam or a more complex cut and glue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys just thought is come and say hi! Long time lurker here on this thread... Received my MAG V2's on Tuesday and have decided to mod the toe this morning! Never done any modding before and know very little about mods and making props etc, but with your guidelines, tutorials and input here I'm manning up and making a boyhood dream come true... I've decided to start with the most difficult mod so if I mess up then I have done so at the beginning and haven't got my hopes up to see my creation all at the last hurdle! If I have any questions I'm sure you guys will help me through this journey!

I also plan on making the Nike Footwear bag too as my box got completely destroyed in transit to the uk! I'm a fabricator welder by trade so I plan to make this out of aluminium... Shouldn't be too difficult!

Thanks guys!

Hi, would you mind sharing where you got yours and how much they cost?

I've gone with the complex cut and glue as the steam method doesn't seem to eliminate much of the "boot toe" from what I've seen and gives the shoe a muffin top... Not attractive in my book!

BTTFSpencer I got mine at Aliexpress.com go with someone who has decent feedback... I bought mine from Jian Chou on there, very safe, very quick

Just completed my first toe slim mod! I'm happy with the results!! Not perfect but I'm over the moon and feel a real sense of achievement to be using my hands to do something out of my comfort zone! Had a few hairy moments here and there but boy does it look good! Pictures posted!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Sugar779 Questions:

Did you just open the toe or did you remove the uppers?
Did you cut much off the toe or were you able to fold and glue?
Did you separate the layers to get rid of the annoying toe box or leave it in there?

Go get the other shoe done and take them for a test wear somewhere.

cavx I just opened the toe, I wasn't confident to remove the uppers, at this point there was no need to. No I had to cut and glue, I experimented with folding and glueing, but I got awkward looking creases on the join lines of the midsole and the upper. I was very tempted to separate everything as I've seen your video on the sock toe mod and love it, plus the movie version has sock toes but I just wasn't feeling confident enough, all the heat the I put into the shoe and where I was grabbing and holding the shoe has made the toe box very soft and barely even noticeable and gives it a slight sock toe feel and look, the heat has definitely soften that toe up. Yesterday I managed to separate the toe from the other shoe but didn't get round to finishing it off as it was a busy bank holiday Monday for me yesterday, I'll finish it off later today after work, and I'll keep you all updated!

did anyone else's midsole come off when separating the toe? I tore chucks of the midsole away, thought I'd ruined it but managed to salvage and save the shoe, second shoe much much cleaner!

For some reason they seem to use three or four spots of glue that really sticks and used lower strength every where else. I just found it easier to remove the uppers from the rear of the shoe. The Heel Cup is quite easy to get off. Once the heel is open, you have the rest of the upper to leverage to get the rest of the shoe off the mid-sole. The hardest part is the toe and yes, sometimes the rubber will tear. I was extremely lucky with the US8s as they were falling apart anyway, so with a little heat, they came right apart.

The second shoe is finished and was by far sooooooo much easier to do! I don't know if it's because I actually knew what I was doing this time round or it was just a better shoe in general! Both look so much sleeker and even feel better on my feet! EL panels should arrive in the post tomorrow so when I get the chance I'll make a start with the strap and soles! Having 4 children and a full time job doesn't make the mods any easier! I'm going with the standard 9v setup I think, I've found a pair of 900mah batteries on Aliexpress that I'll be grabbing...

A tip in general - if anyone is taking the shoes apart and some rubber grips more than others, get a small snap-knife, and while holding the two parts apart, carefully run the blade over the glue holding them together. This can take time with multiple cuts depending on the glue but prevents the rubber tearing, because you're technically cutting the glue in half. Learned this trick replacing insoles glued in with something like hot melt glue many years ago. :)

Generally speaking, the glue lets go with the heat. I have a pair I am working on that the heel cup almost split when taking them apart. I have never seen one of these shoes so well bonded. Point being, one shoe. Their QA is complete hit and miss.

Keep us posted on the Nike Footwear bag - one of my favorite props from the film!

I'll be finishing off my shoes before I make a start on the bag... My EL sheets arrived yesterday, so I can begin the mods on the strap and sole. Does anyone have a source for the Nike logo for the strap? cavx I'm looking at you bro... I don't have any kind of imaging creator or photoshop or any of the sort...

Does anyone have a source for the Nike logo for the strap? @cavx I'm looking at you bro...

Ask and you shall receive :)

If you open the image in a program like Paint, you will see it is quite large, so when you go to print it, have the print settings scale the image to "fit the page". This way you don't get jaggies. Also if you reverse the image for printing, your logo is protected by the film and won't scrape off.

Attachments

• NIKE strap logo 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
cavx you're the man!! Also any idea where I can get the 9v inverters from without the huge price tag to ship to the uk?

Hi there guys,

Im new to the forum and was defiantly looking to get the V2 mags but in no way know how to do the mods even after looking at all the videos and thread.

I wanted to ask if a experienced member who would mod them for me? at a fee of course.

Please do let me know.

Im mainly looking to do the,

- nike strap light
- upgrade the lights on the sole
- slim the toe
- maybe the side lights depending on the cost of going without them and going with them.

Hi there guys,

Im new to the forum and was defiantly looking to get the V2 mags but in no way know how to do the mods even after looking at all the videos and thread.

I wanted to ask if a experienced member who would mod them for me? at a fee of course.

Please do let me know.

Im mainly looking to do the,

- nike strap light
- upgrade the lights on the sole
- slim the toe
- maybe the side lights depending on the cost of going without them and going with them.

Welcome to the forum.

If you are going to have the shoes opened up for a toe slim, then you might as well change out the wires and lights whilst they are apart. The difference is about $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back