TASM Fitness Thread. Get your Spidey Physique tips on exercise and nutrition here!

Re: TASM Fitness Thread. "Shirts-off" Challenge continued! JULY 4TH DAY OF RECKONING!

Hey, does anybody have any tips for a guy who's nearly 17 and has access to a small school gym and a rowing machine at home? I'm a little overweight (Post some pics later maybe) and do Wing Chun Kung Fu for about once a week for a year now. Being my age with studying and all that I have little time for work to be able to afford a good gym membership.

I have no idea what sort of diet to follow, what blended drinks will help and what exercises to do so any help would be very much appreciated! :)

Nobody?

Re: TASM Fitness Thread. "Shirts-off" Challenge continued! JULY 4TH DAY OF RECKONING!

Several things actually in this thread that you can follow + al over the internet there is tons of info about whatever it is you actually wanna accomplish.

july for me will be the start again of a new diet cus ive had to prepare for a strenght contest and now my suit im making doesnt fit (needs to fit again in October) ofc so need to lower weight + not loosing to much muscle due to wanting to tackle a man of steel suit afterwards.

anyone here had experience with t5's after being out of commission i have put on more weight then im comfortable with and i cant seem to shift it after several months my trainers suggested trying t5 burners to help me back to where i used to be as i have a deadline has anyone tried them before i do hours of cardio weights and a strict diet no change i am by no means big by anyones standards but for me its too big especially in spandex lol
I don't know nothin' 'bout no t5's, but I recommend 2 things:
First, try a 24 - 48 hour fast (nothing but water). Then integrate one 24 hour fast into your diet once a week.
If you don't get results after that first fast try eating. Eat a lot. Eat extra carbs and fat, but make them healthy (sweet potatoes and fatty meat, not alcohol and ice cream, although you could do those - it's just easier to get too much of a surplus with junk food). Just for a day or two. You're possibly retaining water. Regular fasting prevents that from happening and often disposes of the water, eating a surplus often dumps that out.

Garrus Vakarian said:
Hey, does anybody have any tips for a guy who's nearly 17 and has access to a small school gym and a rowing machine at home? I'm a little overweight (Post some pics later maybe) and do Wing Chun Kung Fu for about once a week for a year now. Being my age with studying and all that I have little time for work to be able to afford a good gym membership.

I have no idea what sort of diet to follow, what blended drinks will help and what exercises to do so any help would be very much appreciated!
It might help if you list what equpiment is available at the school gym. Without knowing that (or your goals) I recommend body weight exercises. Chin ups, push ups, one-legged squats, etc. Convict Conditioning is a decent book people have had pretty good luck with and there are a number of free body-weight exercise plans online. I haven't used them so I can't speak to their effectiveness. As a beginner work on getting your core strength up so your body becomes strong enough to then focus on your specific goals. Don't get your calories from liquids -- get it from real food. You haven't gotten many responses because this is a HUGE question with a large number of variables. If you're lucky enough to have a gym with a barbell look into Stronglifts 5x5.

It might help if you list what equpiment is available at the school gym. Without knowing that (or your goals) I recommend body weight exercises.

Aaaah, sorry I was very vague about what I have access to and what I'm trying to achieve :)

I believe the gym has dumbells, rowing machines, barbells, cross trainers, exercise bikes, punching bags...y'know, the basics. I'm trying to just slim down to be able to fit into a Spidey suit (No little bulge on the belly) while having some definition.

Aaaah, sorry I was very vague about what I have access to and what I'm trying to achieve :)

I believe the gym has dumbells, rowing machines, barbells, cross trainers, exercise bikes, punching bags...y'know, the basics. I'm trying to just slim down to be able to fit into a Spidey suit (No little bulge on the belly) while having some definition.
Lol, the basics. I've seen a punching bag in one non-fight gym in my life and that was at college inside a massive sports complex in a room far away from the weights. And barbells are missing from more and more gyms as time goes by.

Anyway, at your age you could probably get your diet on track, do nothing else, and achieve your goals. To speed the process up dramatically do Stronglifts 5x5 with those barbells. Since you're so young and should be able to recover like a beast throw in some additional cardio. I recommend 15-20 minutes of HIIT followed by some additional steady state to exceed no more than 45 minutes total cardio. Pick your cardio of choice, I personally like Ellipticals. Then on off days rest. Feel free to take walks - I encourage it. Keep in mind diet is king when it comes to losing weight. To see how important diet is keep track of the calories you burn in your cardio versus how many calories you eat in a day. I recommend that if you only have about 3 hours a week you do just the SL5x5 and skip the cardio, not the other way around. Before doing any 'fancy' programs do SL5x5 (or some other strength training program). If you have a strong base you can then tack anything else on later to achieve more specific goals.

Read through the entire SL5x5 program (it's free). Pick up Rippetoe's Starting Strength book and read through it. Strength training isn't for everybody, but with the base you get from it all other athletic pursuits become much more feasible. Investigate Leangains and Eat-Stop_Eat for alternatives to traditional dieting regimens if you have difficulty following a traditional diet. I've left out or skimmed over so much info, and ultimately you have to find what works for YOU. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Lol, the basics. I've seen a punching bag in one non-fight gym in my life and that was at college inside a massive sports complex in a room far away from the weights. And barbells are missing from more and more gyms as time goes by.

Anyway, at your age you could probably get your diet on track, do nothing else, and achieve your goals. To speed the process up dramatically do Stronglifts 5x5 with those barbells. Since you're so young and should be able to recover like a beast throw in some additional cardio. I recommend 15-20 minutes of HIIT followed by some additional steady state to exceed no more than 45 minutes total cardio. Pick your cardio of choice, I personally like Ellipticals. Then on off days rest. Feel free to take walks - I encourage it. Keep in mind diet is king when it comes to losing weight. To see how important diet is keep track of the calories you burn in your cardio versus how many calories you eat in a day. I recommend that if you only have about 3 hours a week you do just the SL5x5 and skip the cardio, not the other way around. Before doing any 'fancy' programs do SL5x5 (or some other strength training program). If you have a strong base you can then tack anything else on later to achieve more specific goals.

Read through the entire SL5x5 program (it's free). Pick up Rippetoe's Starting Strength book and read through it. Strength training isn't for everybody, but with the base you get from it all other athletic pursuits become much more feasible. Investigate Leangains and Eat-Stop_Eat for alternatives to traditional dieting regimens if you have difficulty following a traditional diet. I've left out or skimmed over so much info, and ultimately you have to find what works for YOU. Hope this helps.

Thanks Boshuda, this has really helped! Thanks for taking the time to write something so detailed too! :)

Thanks Gerry, I'm always looking for new tips and I appreciate all of the details ^_^

@Wallcrawler @Bluenyte
hey guys quick tip for ya's 10 days before show up your water limit to around 6 litres a day reduce your carbs to 50-100gms
even give it a shot from monday no alchohol weekend before you start, no starchy carbs ie bread , potatoes etc this causes bloating giving you the pot belly ,oh and cut extra salt out of your diet , causes you to retain water more than normal give it a shot and let me know how your guys get on

sample diet for 10days out

8am :bowl of porridge 150gms with honey 1 pint of water , 1000mg of vitamin c
10:30 protein shake tin of mackral filletts in spring water, pint of water 1000mg vit c
1pm 2 chicken breasts with broccolli and cauliflower, 2 pints of water 1000mg vit c
3:30pm protein shake and 20gms almonds ,2 pints of water 1000mg vit c
5:30 pm , 2 chicken breasts with steamed veg ,2 pints of water 1000mg vit c
8pm: mackral fillets, protien shake ,2 pints of water

i can lose up to 9-10 lbs while maintaining muscle

[url]http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae335/gerryc00/9066_551148378256676_920563714_n_zps0fedd413.jpg[/URL]

this was taken last week after i had been on a weeks vacation all you can eat and drink :) and done the above diet for 4 days when i got back with the help of some water balance tablets ie aquaban ( the things women take for monthly cycle to reduce water bloating )

i wouldnt trust bmi readings @stewyfz50 as it does not take into account muscle mass, my bmi is 26.3 and i only have about 10% body fat , i very rarely step on the scales now to get my weight i average around 165-175 lbs depends on how much water i drink , the big killer for causing your body and weight loss to slow down is alcohol cut it out and you will reach your target in half the time needed i can assure you

hope this helps man

Last edited by a moderator:

Weight currently: 209 lbs
ive lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks (started at 228) and the weight is dropping quickly. My run/acrobatic workouts everyday have been working well, as well as my diet. My goal of being 195 by August seems much more attainable now.

Update time for me, I have cut my thermos off, went and blew a wad of cash for a bunch of jugs of mass gainer. Im doing a slow bulk, so my plan of action was 5 days of surplus cals, 3 days of deficit. A helpful tip for those losing weight, please make sure when your weight is dropping to do it healthy, daily up your intake and make sure its not to extreme, losing alot in a very short amount of time tends to mean you are burning muscle as fuel. These days I'm starting to look less at the scale and more at what my body caliper tells me, your bf% defines your overall physique not necessarily your weight. also what do you guys rock for shakes, flavor, main ingredient?
Mass_Tech_4.jpg
masstech_vanilla_suppfacts.gif

Crap I gained 4lbs on vacation :/

Haha fo sho. I'm doing cross fit tomorrow and Friday and then running 8.5 miles on Saturday so that should help...I hope:/

taking a 30 second break in the middle of my workout, push it fellow spideys!! my abs are wrecked after 4 sets of 2 minute elevated planks. TIME TO DO SOME MORE!

First off I wanna give a big ups to everyone in this thread and the awesome progress you guys are making keep it up .. Thought I would show my progress as well.. I was on a mini dirty bulk for a few months to put some size on then summer was Close so I decided slow it Down a bit and shred a bit I've been a big fan of the hodgetwins on youtube they are doing intermittent fasting so I gave it a shot

This is me in march at about 210 lb. on the top pics and was about 205 at the the bottom

8CFE3376-B001-4F22-9844-316AD753F6BE-1832-000003097D1738A0_zpsab6eb5ad.jpg

This pic I was about 195 ish

FC2A2366-8FC2-4140-B15C-D33E20EB051A-1832-00000309839DEF84_zps6e6c9459.jpg

Me now Feeling good and making alllll kindzzzz of gainzzzz !!! Lol
2E35C940-7544-4100-9640-B861B8E980A9-1832-00000319DA5DEE43_zps1bfd5aeb.jpg

Well done Crimzon! Trying to lean down myself, your looking more like Luke Cage then Miles Morales!!

Way to go, Crimson! Burly and spectacular!

Haha thanks guys I'm trying look good as you two the next time I get in a spidey suit

crazy work crimzon! Did you really slim down that much in 2 weeks for the top set? If so, what did you do?

crazy work crimzon! Did you really slim down that much in 2 weeks for the top set? If so, what did you do?

Yeah man i kept my calorie intake the same between 3000 to 3500 and kept my workout routine the same only thing i did different was intermittent fasting i didnt lose any at mass all.... my fat percentage went down.. if you want more info on it either go on YouTube and check out the hodgetwins or you can go to leangains.com

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back