Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Baloney, don't talk to me about "playing fair". You didn't "assume the best". The only reason you gave yourself that out is because you knew if you directly called me a Nazi, all it would take would be for one member to report your post, and you'd be banned. I use the term, SJW, all the time. So do all my friends. And we are not Nazis, pal.

Wook, we've both been members of this forum for almost two decades. I know you're not a Nazi. My post wasn't even implying you were a Nazi. I wasn't giving myself an "out", I was responding to the term you were using, and how it has come to be used, out in the world, where language evolves and is co-opted. Sometimes by deeply sinister folks. All I said was that I was willing to set aside the fact that you were using their language, and I was willing to do that because I legitimately was assuming the best.

And you still haven't answered the initial question, but perhaps its best I don't wait on that one, and mosey back down the ol' digital trail.

I stand by the sarcasm of that last one enough to give it it's own post. In seriousness, I have no idea if Kennedy has a personal agenda. I simply don't know enough about her, but does Star Wars?

Yes.

Frankly, anyone who denies that is an idiot. Of course it has a social agenda. It ALWAYS has. So has almost all Sci fi. Arguably it's the thing Star TREK is most famous for: furthering a social agenda.... and most praised for. Denying that these agendas exist is just silly and makes people look either dishonest or ill informed.

Now we could have an argument about whether the new movies are more forceful in that agenda than previous movies (which also CLEARLY had social commentary themselves) and how that commentary affects the plot, and frankly: I would enjoy such a conversation, but we can't. Because current politics prevent it. But I wish we could. But even if we can't discuss it, I'm not going to pretend it isn't there. we're not 5. The major themes of the story are not weird accidental coincidences. There is current political allegory and it's pretty clear what direction it's slanted in.

But it's also not entirely fair to lay it all at Kennedy's feet. Nor even Johnson. I've seen people wonder when Disney is going to step in...but ironically, I've seen that same question asked THIS week, about Marvel (the comics, not the movies), and ESPN, and ABC...in fact this is not the first, but the FIFTH Disney subsidiary THIS WEEK that I've seen people ask that about, so it's pretty clear that the answer is: they did. They want progressive social commentary. For better or worse, it's pretty clear by now that the parent company is very interested in that.

For me, on the remote unlikely chance that we actually are able to have a real conversation about this...I think commentary is good. Trek was well served by being on the vanguard of it. But I do think they need to be A) honest about it, and B) less cliche about it. Trek was good usually, but occasionally heavy handed. The OT was MAGNIFICENT at it: no one can deny that Leia was strong, but also subtle. the PT...had too many other problems for anyone to care what the commentary was...something about tyranny.

This one...i still think is salvageable, but they need to pick a lane. Either let the message drive the plot, or the plot drive the message. But you can't tack on some "save the slave-horses" crap onto an unrelated plot without it feeling silly. Nor a "Our entire cause is based on resisting blind obedience to authority, but blindly obey me anyway because I'm Laura Dern with a kickin dye job damnit" plot. That's not commentary, that's just crap writing with bad casting on top.

Wow man, you sure did manage to turn the whole thing around from the previous post. It felt like that movie with Vinnie Jones, I can't even remember the title when he was playing a mute grunting hulk all along and in the last 5 minutes of the movie delivered a deep monologue to everyone's astonishment. :lol
And BTW everything you said I fully agree with, perfectly put.

the PT...had too many other problems for anyone to care what the commentary was...something about tyranny.
Well that and the confused, ham-fisted delivery of that message as well.

This one...i still think is salvageable, but they need to pick a lane. Either let the message drive the plot, or the plot drive the message. But you can't tack on some "save the slave-horses" crap onto an unrelated plot without it feeling silly. Nor a "Our entire cause is based on resisting blind obedience to authority, but blindly obey me anyway because I'm Laura Dern with a kickin dye job damnit" plot. That's not commentary, that's just crap writing with bad casting on top.
This. So many things and concepts I'm not sure what the plan was because the movie says one thing and does the opposite.
I'm not a Trekkie, got a very casual knowledge of it, the only full series I watched was STD (I know, I know) and felt similar that the whole series was about war, destruction, military tactics, how do we destroy the Klingons and so on, and literally during the last 10 minutes of the last episode people started to stand up and make a statement that "we are Starfleet and we are gonna do the right thing", and I'm just like, oh, someone crashed the script board meeting and said this needs to be there as a message, right?

Wook, we've both been members of this forum for almost two decades. I know you're not a Nazi. My post wasn't even implying you were a Nazi. I wasn't giving myself an "out", I was responding to the term you were using, and how it has come to be used, out in the world, where language evolves and is co-opted. Sometimes by deeply sinister folks. All I said was that I was willing to set aside the fact that you were using their language, and I was willing to do that because I legitimately was assuming the best.

So you were willing to assume that I was not a "literal Nazi". Gee thanks.

And you still haven't answered the initial question, but perhaps its best I don't wait on that one, and mosey back down the ol' digital trail.

Well, invoking the word "Nazi", and putting the word, "literal" in front of it, has a tendency to shut down conversations. Your post then went on to tell me how insulted you were, and sad you were for me, that I had conjured up SWIQ. Is this the way to encourage someone to reply in earnest to your questions??

But beyond that, what's the point in me answering that question? When even if I told you I had hacked into KK's email and had proof of her SJW agenda, you still would not believe me. So yeah, probably a good idea for you to mosey on down the trail.

And next time you stop to engage in conversation, try to be a little more friendly with your approach. I think you'll find it yields a much better experience for all.

The Wook

Nice Strawman attempt, but totally transparent, Dano. So enough already with this incessant, "Oh, I don't think Disney's trying to insult anyone...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.", Strawman nonsense. Of course they don't want to alienate all their fans and have duds at the BO. You don't need to say that, for Chrissakes. It's as obvious as the sky is blue.

Wait... it's obvious that they don't want to insult and alienate their fans?
Because what I took away from TLJ was that Rian, KK, and the good folks at Disney just served us a **** sandwich, flipped us the bird, and told us to go **** ourselves.

A Mate bought the Blu-Ray and we tried to watch it again. Well I knew how bad it is and was done after the jokes with Hux. This movie has no feminist or SJ message, it just turned the tables. They could have filmed KK infront of a green screen yelling at the camera that men are stupid und have bad morals and that women are the superior sex. I think the plots would have been better this way.

Funny thing is that every women who like star wars in our clique hates this wreck of a movie even more than any men and the reason, besides the poor script ist that "feminist" message.

The questions I constantly asked myself everytime I think of Star Wars is "Why did they put in this crap? Why are three female characters on the winning streak by doing everything wrong? Didn't they watch the OT before?"
Leia was a great character and 1000x more feminist than Holdo, Rey or this idiot hanging around with Finn. Can't they just write a good story and do a great movie. Nobody would care if the main character is male, female, black, white, asian, transgender or a speaking cow as long as they have an arc and tell a entertaining story.

There is zero evidence to suggest KK has a Feminist agenda. Every director and Priducer she has hired to date have been men. JJ, Trank, Gareth, Rian, Lord and Miller, John Favreau, Benioff and Weiss, the rumored James Mangold for Boba Fett, all men. She’s being very heavily criticized on social media by real SJW’s and female fans for failing to elevate a woman to helm one of these projects. So the reality of how Lucasfilm is being managed flies in the face of that narrative.

A company that doesn't want to insult its fans will make changes after they pump out an admitted underperformer and say something like "Yeah, we screwed up, but we're looking to give the fans what they want. We're working hard on the next film and we're going to deliver something that will really capture audiences!"

Not, " Hey you racist, sexist *******s! Love our movies or you're a tyrant!"

Last edited:
There is zero evidence to suggest KK has a Feminist agenda.

6aw3vw8uep501.jpg

That's the age old question, though, isn't it? Is the customer always right? As somebody who works retail I will adamantly say "No, they are only sometimes right." In my experience, the customer is actually usually wrong more often than they are right. Should the fans be considered? Maybe, but not always. They're certainly not entitled be be part of the creative process, but then again fans are usually fans because they liked what something started out the be. And when franchises exchange hands as they are susceptible to, the original creative ideas can be altered and be open for interpretation.

I come at this point from a larger perspective than simply what's happened with Star Wars. There's other aspects whereby creators engage with audiences where I think the audience really ought to be considered more. For example, on a TV show that starts off by signaling the story will be about XYZ, and then wraps up the story by showing something completely contrary to it. That's where I think authors can't simply say "Well screw you, it's my story, so if you don't like it, too bad for you." I mean, yeah, they can (legally), but they shouldn't. They've made a bargain with the audience in those circumstances: "Come with me and tell you a story about X." Changing that up over time because they got bored with X or because they never really knew what X was or because X was never really the point and it was, in fact, all about Q, etc., etc., etc., all of those are instances where, despite the ownership of the author, I think the audience must be considered.

But if you ask me franchises not only should evolve, they MUST evolve. To remain stagnant is to embrace extinction. One could argue that "The Force Awakens" did A LOT to pander to fans. And it was called derivative for it. On the other hand, The Last Jedi did everything it could to subvert expectations and rustle fan jimmies. So, I'll repeat the first thing I ever said when defending this movie: fans don't know what they want. They never did, and they never will. That's perfectly natural. There's no one singular voice for this, or any fandom. Various voices and opinions is inherent in fandom. And that, in my opinion, is what makes not just fandoms, but life in general great.

For the most part, I agree here. Franchises especially have to evolve. That doesn't mean they have to mutate into something unrecognizable or where the soul of the work has been beaten out of it (e.g. Star Trek), but they do have to evolve and can't simply re-tell the same story over and over again without eventually getting stale.

And I agree -- to a point -- that fans don't know what they want. Not exactly, anyway. Even at the individual level, I think fans -- by virtue of their fandom -- are often stuck within the confines of what they already know, and therefore only really color within those established lines when thinking of "What more do I want." That's setting aside the "Do I want to use the green crayon or the red one" differences that each individual fan would have. A lot of times -- and I include myself in this, to an extent -- I think fans need an outside perspective to help the franchise evolve. That's always risky, because the outside perspective may not recognize what makes for the soul -- the core signifiers -- of the work.

Again, I see Star Trek as a good indicator. To look at the new films, you'd think it's about a few surface-level characteristics of some of the characters (more really the caricatures of them than any actual study of the characters would demonstrate), and the surface-level design choices (e.g. primary-colored uniforms and saucer-dish spaceships). Beyond that, it's totally generic, and that's because (in my opinion) they lost the soul of Star Trek, which operates best as a mixture of naval drama and exploration of the unknown. This is why Master & Commander is a better Star Trek movie than Into Darkness or Beyond were.

I still think the new Star Wars films are hewing pretty close to the "soul" of the original films, but that's based on my own sense of what that "soul" is and the fact that it's not (in my estimation) tied to any specific character.

I do think, however, that the "soul" is being expanded to be much more about fidelity to the setting, rather than the themes themselves. I still haven't seen Solo, though, so I'm not sure how accurate that view is. I'll know more when I've seen it. But basically, as someone who digs the old West End Games D6 Star Wars stuff (much of which served as the basis for Tim Zahn's Thrawn books), I think there's a wealth of different stories and films that can be told within the Star Wars setting, and that Star Wars could itself become a "genre" even (kind of like how Marvel is almost a genre unto itself or how Bond films are practically a genre unto themselves). I suspect that this, too, is causing much agita for old school fans who view Star Wars as only operating within a more narrow framework than that of a genre or setting. I think they're right that Star Wars operates within that more narrow view, but I think they're wrong that it can only operate within that narrow view.

Speaking as a ‘ fan ‘ , and not as a fanatic , I personally disagree with this portion of your statement .

I’m no expert , nor even as familiar with this ‘ galaxy ‘ as so many others here are - never got into the novels , comics , animation etc ... , but I do know what I like and what I don’t - have done so from a young age actually .

I didn’t like the direction TLJ took after what was being established in TFA , as part of a ‘ Trilogy ‘ .
The fact that RJ subverted certain expectations purposely shows what a Prima dona ( and SW hack ) he really is .

This is of course , my honest opinion as a ‘ fan ‘ of the OT films in particular , but not limited to those .

:cheersGed

Again, I blame JJ for most of that. I think JJ's choices were hacky and betray a real weakness in his storytelling chops. His insistence on inserting questions where none need exist, and his apparent inability to bridge the gap between the old films and the new (even turning that into a "mystery") ultimately was going to lead to some kind of disappointment. I'm also not remotely convinced he knew where he was going, since he so rarely seems to know anyway. It's all about "Isn't this an interesting question? I wonder what the answer could be, and wondering is the best part!" No, wondering isn't. Wondering isn't storytelling. Storytelling requires conclusions and answers, and you'd better ****ing well know those before you start telling your story, or the story will suffer for it.

I think JJ didn't have answers (Colin Trevorow might have, though), Rian realized this, and then decided that this meta-narrative stuff was ultimately meaningless and what mattered more was the characters' journeys and experiences, rather than trying to manipulate and distract your audience. Just as a brief example of how this would play out, consider this fact:

Rey knows what her parents look like. The audience does not. Concealing their physical appearance from the audience is a meta-narrative technique designed to maximize speculation about who they might be. Oooh, do they look like Obi-Wan? Or Luke? Or someone else we already know? WHO COULD THEY BEEEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? Except none of that is relevant to Rey. What would matter more to Rey is who her parents are, as opposed to who she believes them to be. So, if you wanted to do this a different way, you'd do what Lucas did in '77, by having Luke believe that his father was a navigator on a spice freighter when, in fact, he was a Jedi knight. And, in fact, he was a Jedi knight who turned evil! All of that information is news to Luke, and therefore it makes sense that it would be news to the audience. If Rey had grown up never having met her parents, then their appearance would matter (as part of a larger picture of who they are, or if it tied into other pertinent details). But JJ conceals this fact purely to gin up audience speculation.

That's a bull**** storytelling technique. It's sloppy, it's lazy, and it's ultimately irrelevant. It's a cheap parlor trick, equivalent to a jump scare in a horror film. It simulates an experience instead of actually doing the hard work necessary to deliver the real deal.

While Rian's answer to Rey's parentage is ultimately unsatisfying, I think the dark side cave's answer to Rey is what's most important for her character. Rey is searching for her own identity, which is why she asks "Who are my parents?" and wants to know why she is the way she is. But she's searching for that identity so as to avoid having to make hard choices and take responsibility herself for her actions. She wants to know this so that it sets out a clear path for her to follow. In this, she's the polar opposite of Ben, whose path was set out for him from birth, who rejected that path, and yet who is still ultimately determined and controlled by the very thing he rejects. Rey has maximum freedom to chart her course, and yet she doesn't even want that freedom. They each want what the other already has and seeks to rid themselves of. I get that not everyone is into this, but I think that is absolutely fascinating and exciting to watch, and I can't wait to see what their ultimate resolution is, because of how different that dynamic between them is from any previous Star Wars film. If it was just something as simple as "She's Han and Leia's secret daughter, Luke knew and hid her, but Ben doesn't know and then they'll have a big fight at the end," meh, that's not that different from the Luke/Vader thing. It might be...you know, ok. But it's nowhere near as interesting to me as the Rey/Ben relationship.

Nice Strawman attempt, but totally transparent, Dano. So enough already with this incessant, "Oh, I don't think Disney's trying to insult anyone...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.", Strawman nonsense.

That's...not what a strawman argument is.

Of course they don't want to alienate all their fans and have duds at the BO. You don't need to say that, for Chrissakes. It's as obvious as the sky is blue.

But KK has two imperatives. And it's a balancing act between the two.

One, she needs to advance her SJW agenda.

Nope. Sorry. Or at least, not in the way that I suspect you mean that.

And two, she needs to make somewhat good films so her agenda is received by as many pairs of eyes and ears as possible.

The problem is, many people reject her SJW agenda. And even if they reject it only partially, they certainly don't want it in the Star Wars movies they pay to go see. So if she lays it on too thick, too many fans will stay home, and the movie will suffer at the BO.

Quite the conundrum, for KK. But she knows a few things, which she can use to her advantage, to push the SJW envelope, and still get enough butts in the seats to satisfy shareholders, and most importantly, preserve her job. Because after all, without her job, she can't promote her agenda. And her SJW agenda is her primary imperative. Her secondary imperative, of making successful films at the BO, is only a means to protect her primary imperative--dissemination of her SJW agenda to the masses.

I was going to cut this, but I'm gonna leave it here.

These are baseless assertions, or assertions which, at best, rest on very, very shaky ground. At best. Bryan, whom I've quoted below, already touched on some of this. If Kennedy is such a bra-burning, crazed feminazi on a crusade to geld Star Wars and destroy its manly masculinity or whatever, then how come she keeps tapping dudes to direct her films? If she's such a loony more-radical-than-a-Black-Panther advocate for racial justice, how come those dudes are all white dudes, and white American or English dudes at that?

Ok, Poe gets dressed down multiple times from women in positions of authority over him. So what? Two movies have female leads. Big deal. There's still plenty of dudes around them, and these films are really ensemble pieces anyway. I just don't see this radical, all-encompassing "SJW agenda" at play.

But I'll tell you this. If the "SJW agenda" is nothing more than basic inclusivity?

Good.

I'm for it.

I'm for more of it.

Representation in film matters, especially in stories about heroes. Casting a woman in a role is a good thing, if it gives my kid someone she can look up to in the future. Showing women in these films in positions of power -- over men who would otherwise traditionally be the hero of the tale -- is good, again, if it gives my kid examples of social interactions that she can look to so she doesn't feel like her place is subordinate by default. So, yeah, if that's the "SJW agenda," bring it on. My balls can take it.

I stand by the sarcasm of that last one enough to give it it's own post. In seriousness, I have no idea if Kennedy has a personal agenda. I simply don't know enough about her, but does Star Wars?

Yes.

Frankly, anyone who denies that is an idiot. Of course it has a social agenda. It ALWAYS has. So has almost all Sci fi. Arguably it's the thing Star TREK is most famous for: furthering a social agenda.... and most praised for. Denying that these agendas exist is just silly and makes people look either dishonest or ill informed.

Now we could have an argument about whether the new movies are more forceful in that agenda than previous movies (which also CLEARLY had social commentary themselves) and how that commentary affects the plot, and frankly: I would enjoy such a conversation, but we can't. Because current politics prevent it. But I wish we could. But even if we can't discuss it, I'm not going to pretend it isn't there. we're not 5. The major themes of the story are not weird accidental coincidences. There is current political allegory and it's pretty clear what direction it's slanted in.

But it's also not entirely fair to lay it all at Kennedy's feet. Nor even Johnson. I've seen people wonder when Disney is going to step in...but ironically, I've seen that same question asked THIS week, about Marvel (the comics, not the movies), and ESPN, and ABC...in fact this is not the first, but the FIFTH Disney subsidiary THIS WEEK that I've seen people ask that about, so it's pretty clear that the answer is: they did. They want progressive social commentary. For better or worse, it's pretty clear by now that the parent company is very interested in that.

For me, on the remote unlikely chance that we actually are able to have a real conversation about this...I think commentary is good. Trek was well served by being on the vanguard of it. But I do think they need to be A) honest about it, and B) less cliche about it. Trek was good usually, but occasionally heavy handed. The OT was MAGNIFICENT at it: no one can deny that Leia was strong, but also subtle. the PT...had too many other problems for anyone to care what the commentary was...something about tyranny.

Here's the thing with the Laura Dern character. I think it was subtle, just not in the way that most people think.

The subtlety is in the subtlety of the change from what's a normally accepted character to one that is somehow discomfiting.

Consider this: What's the difference between Michael Ironside's character in Top Gun and Laura Dern's character in TLJ? Answer: one has purple hair and the other is bald. Oh, and one's a woman and the other is a man.

We automatically accept Michael Ironside dressing down Tom Cruise -- a literal "maverick" -- in Top Gun and busting his ass about being too much of a hotshot. We even contrast Ironside's character with Tom Skerrit's character -- who knows Cruise more closely and is more sympathetic and encouraging to him. Direct parallel between Holdo and Leia and their relationships with Poe. Nobody bats an eye when Michael Ironside chastises Tom Cruise. But when Holdo, a woman, and one who doesn't carry herself as a military leader, does it? OMG SJW AGENDA!!!! FEMINISIM RUN AMOK!!! RAMPANT PC CULTURE!!!!!

But really? There's no meaningful difference between the two. Both are characters we're introduced to at random, and who are in positions of authority over the character we're supposed to recognize as the hero. Both are trying to get a particular job done, and don't have a lot of patience for hotshots who -- in their opinion -- endanger their fellow pilots. Neither is particularly interested in offering any deference to or suffering of the sense of entitlement that they see in said hotshot pilots. That's the subtlety: that by simply changing the gender and overall bearing of a character, we're suddenly making people feel uncomfortable. Doesn't that strike you as...worth considering? Like, why is it that we're more accepting of one situation and not the other? That's where I think the subtlety lies. It's not in the presentation of the up-front dynamic, but in the questions that's "intended" to raise (if it raises any). I'm not entirely convinced that's why they made the role female (e.g. it's not specifically to force people to grapple with latent sexism and concepts of patriarchy), but I think if there's an agenda, that's how it played out.

I also think it's probably different for a lot of us who saw Star Wars (1977) as kids, and therefore were more accepting of someone like Leia than, say, our grandparents or even some of our parents might've been in 1977. Had there been an internet back then, maybe people would be complaining about how Betty Friedan had somehow infiltrated their Flash Gordon throwback movie.

There is zero evidence to suggest KK has a Feminist agenda. Every director and Priducer she has hired to date have been men. JJ, Trank, Gareth, Rian, Lord and Miller, John Favreau, Benioff and Weiss, the rumored James Mangold for Boba Fett, all men. She’s being very heavily criticized on social media by real SJW’s and female fans for failing to elevate a woman to helm one of these projects. So the reality of how Lucasfilm is being managed flies in the face of that narrative.

She was at a special event promoting women in film, give me a break. I would wear that t-shirt too had I been there. Wearing a T-shirt is a zero compared to actually hiring women to make Star Wars films which has yet to happen. Pretty lousy raging feminist..,

A company that doesn't want to insult its fans will make changes after they pump out an admitted underperformer and say something like "Yeah, we screwed up, but we're looking to give the fans what they want. We're working hard on the next film and we're going to deliver something that will really capture audiences!"

Not, " Hey you racist, sexist *******s! Love our movies or you're a tyrant!"

I don't think the company sees TLJ as an underperformer worthy of altering the direction of future films. Nor do I think that's been remotely the message they've sent. that may be what you've heard, but that's not what I hear and that's not what they're saying. You can dislike the film without being a sexist. There's plenty to point to that has nothing to do with racism or sexism.

Last edited:
Oh yea, KK never hires women

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-female-953156

“Consider it a natural outgrowth of a company whose executive team, led by Kathleen Kennedy as president, is more than 50 percent female.”

everyone asks "how is Rey so capable?"

the answer from Lucasfilm:

"The reason Rey is strong and technically capable and compassionate and driven is that the women who were in that room, including Kathy, reflect those qualities... Kathy has given women the kind of roles they've always dreamed of."

There is most definitely an agenda on her part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Solo4114, it’s all white men to boot!

oh, sorry you correctly pointed that out. :)

Bryan, every time is see you use the term "White men or male" it's like your talking about some sort of disease people need to be ashamed about.

I do agree it would be great to see some more female directors, but the fact is that most of the big blockbuster directors with proven track records are men white or otherwise.

Bryan, every time is see you use the term "White men or male" it's like your talking about some sort of disease people need to be ashamed about.

I do agree it would be great to see some more female directors, but the fact is that most of the big blockbuster directors with proven track records are men white or otherwise.

Well that’s all in your head. I’m s middle aged white man and don’t suffer from self loathing. In fact I consider myself very fortunate and hope other races and woman can also feel as empowered as I do. :) Also, I don’t feel threatened by those advocating for more inclusion. Look at my avatar pic, do I look ashamed?

I think KK gets an undeserved amount of criticism for NOT hiring enough woman because as you say, they are few and far between. I think Lucasfilm is trying to bring more women in to alter that historical precedent.

Wait... it's obvious that they don't want to insult and alienate their fans?
Because what I took away from TLJ was that Rian, KK, and the good folks at Disney just served us a **** sandwich, flipped us the bird, and told us to go **** ourselves.

Well, KK does want to alienate certain fans, but that is not her primary objective. Remember what I said about their conundrum--she wants to propagate her SJW agenda, but not at the expense of losing her job. So she's always gambling when pushing her agenda. How far can she push that envelope, and retain her position? She holds white men--particularly traditional, concservative men--in contempt, and is thrilled when they cringe at her products. But again, she also knows how much they love Star Wars...so much so that they will put up with a lot of SJWism in the films, if she can just throw them a few bones, as well.

One of the reasons she only hires white male filmmakers, is because they are exponentially more numerous than female filmmakers. And the other reason is to provide herself with some cover, So that her surrogates can do precisely what Bryan and Dan are doing in this thread: point to this fact, that she only hires white male filmmakers, as some sort of proof that she is not the rabid feminist you and I (and many others) know her to be.

KK doesn't need to hire female filmmakers. She'd love to! But they are few and far between, and she more importantly needs the safety buffer of hiring white males, to combat fans decrying her SJW agenda. In her agenda, it's most important to imbue STAR WARS movies--seen by millions around the world (no matter how bad or transparently PC--with her SJW ideology. That's the big target, millions of people around the world!

And remember, Ruin Johnson has much less at stake than KK. He can afford to be more aggressively subversive. KK rolled the dice with him, and she may wish in retrospect she'd reined him in a bit, given the harsh backlash against TLJ, and the possible lingering backlash against SOLO. But then again, maybe she'd do it all over again, with the mindset that, "Okay, we really pushed it there, and it may be costing us with SOLO's relatively meager haul at the BO. But we can weather this bomb and this storm. The brand is far too strong to be hurt by one box office dud. And these fans are suckers, who will keep coming back for more--including many of the most strident ones lashing out at us. They're just ignorant racists and sexists. And they need a cooling down period. The only mistake we made was releasing these last two films five months apart. The films are fantastic! Those fans criticizing them are just bigots, suffering from Star Wars fatigue. But the next film's not for a good while, so by the time that premieres, these suckers will be salivating for anything they can get with the Star Wars label on it. And I control the label.".

You see, Axlotl, this is how the SJW mind works. They believe they know what's best for us, and that we traditional white men are knuckle-dragging Neanderthals. They want to tell us what to think. They want to tell us how to live, And they want to tell us how to spend our money.

The problem for them is, they're machinations are completely transparent. :lol To the extent that I don't know whether to laugh at their expense, or offer them my pity.

The Wook

Well that’s all in your head. I’m s middle aged white man and don’t suffer from self loathing. In fact I consider myself very fortunate and hope other races and woman can also feel as empowered as I do. :) Also, I don’t feel threatened by those advocating for more inclusion.

But that in itself is pretty sexist isn't it, assuming that women or people of color don't feel as "empowered" as you just because of their gender or skin color. I don't assume anybody is more or less fortunate than me just because of their appearance.

Neither do i fear inclusion or diversity, but to me it seems that forcing a certain percentage of people with arbitrary physical characteristics or having a mandatory quota for people of a certain sex just feels way to forced an unnatural.

That's why i despise identity politics, we need to look at people, not appearances.

Hire the best person for the job, no matter their appearance.

And after having seen the last few Star Wars movies, i can honestly say that hiring white guys has been a disaster:lol

Last edited:
Well that’s all in your head. I’m s middle aged white man and don’t suffer from self loathing. In fact I consider myself very fortunate and hope other races and woman can also feel as empowered as I do. :) Also, I don’t feel threatened by those advocating for more inclusion. Look at my avatar pic, do I look ashamed?

I think KK gets an undeserved amount of criticism for NOT hiring enough woman because as you say, they are few and far between. I think Lucasfilm is trying to bring more women in to alter that historical precedent.
Bryan, you never disappoint me.;) :lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back