Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Just because you put someone else on ignore doesn't mean they have any obligation to ignore you. They can respond to anything you have to say any time they wish. You just won't see it. Not sure why that bothers some people.
Uh, it was just a joke, hence the “:lol”. Do I need to start explaining everything multiple times in this thread? Point being: why would someone bother respondng to someone who is done listening to them?

Don’t care what he does or says, at this point, as after multiple chances he didn’t have much to say beyond trolling and baiting. Don’t worry about me :lol

Last edited:
Hamill may also have been jarred by the tone of the character, but he knocked the performance out of the park and completely sold me on where Luke was. When I watched the film -- both in the theater and on home media since -- I never feel as if it's "Mark Hamill as Luke." It feels like "This is Luke, if these events happened to him and if he made these choices." And that's entirely due to Mark, Rian's direction, and the writing. I get why people find this characterization jarring, even shocking, but I think it fits if you can accept the critical moment at the Academy between Luke and Ben as something likely to happen.

Mark is my favorite part of the movie, he did an amazing job with difficult material. But I still think Luke is bizarre in TLJ. He's decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater and thinks that Jedi are selfish arrogant toxic bastards that cause Sith to rise up. He knows that the Jedi were defending the galaxy for 20,000 years but he seems to think that 25 years of the Empire negates all that. His logic is incredibly flawed and his grasp on history shallow, and yet he uses it as his crutch while he lets the galaxy burn and his friends and family die. There's many ways they could have dealt with Luke that wouldn't have made him such a feckless coward.

I think they all hold together well for the story that Rian Johnson was trying to tell, and I think that story is probably the most interesting exploration of characters that has appeared in the Star Wars universe so far. I think it's very artistically managed, as well, with Rey and Ben sharing polar-opposite paths and being driven by polar-opposite impulses, each coveting what the other has

I hear you talking about Rey and Ben, but when you say "the most interesting exploration of characters that has appeared in the Star Wars universe" are you just referring to them, or to the whole of TLJ? Personally, I can't stand Rey's role in TLJ. In TFA I really liked her and she seemed like a strong, independent heroine who was used to making it on her own. 12 hours later in TLJ, she's just not the same person. She demands an answer from Kylo about why he killed Han, he ignores her and she lets it go. Luke tells her he murdered scores of his students, it's absolutely a non-issue for her that she never pushes Kylo about. She attacks Luke from behind and pulls a saber on him based on Kylo's version of events, which basically elevates Luke's momentary thought of murder over the multiple premeditated murders Kylo has committed, including his own father. When Luke doesn't accept her ultimatum, she abandons him on the Island with no vehicle and risks her life to put Kylo on the throne of the FO. Instead of taking the unconscious Kylo with her or at least taking his lightsaber, she leaves him unmolested to be the new Supreme Leader. And Rey is having a ball for the rest of the movie, she's walking on air while 90% of the survivors of the Raddus are dying below her. She never sees Luke again or his sacrifice, but can somehow sense his death all the way on Ahch-To. The whole thing just leaves me feeling empty, and feeling nothing at all for Rey.

Like, everyone expected (still expects?) Rey to be a Kenobiwalker or the reincarnation of Anakin or a gender-bent clone of the Emperor or whatever, and I love that that's just...not the case.

Rey Nobody doesn't really bother me, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it staying that way. Several LFL people, including Rian and Pablo, have been cagey about it. I could see them rolling it back.

And finally, I thought Luke's death was just beautiful. It's a really moving send-off, but one that, for me, wasn't really tragic. Not exactly. It's sad, but fitting. Plus I don't think we've seen the last of him. I'm not sure it subverted expectations, except insofar as his death wasn't abrupt like Qui-Gon or serene but in the midst of combat like Obi-Wan (although it's closer to Obi-Wan). .

If Luke had actually died on Crait it would be hard for me to criticize this aspect. I would have had my eyes swollen shut from tears, probably. But the way it was done turns it into a Shyamalan-style gotcha. Luke's dead! No he's not. Oh wait, yep, he is dead! Doing a bait and switch on Luke Skywalker's death is a bad move. And it's not something I ever care to see again. Does anyone watch The Sixth Sense every year? There's a reason we can watch Vader vs Luke 1,000 times and always be transfixed although we know the outcome; they are actually there. There's stakes in the fight. Luke vs Kylo is just a connection of scenes of Luke doing bullet-time dodges while Kylo swings at the air. Then we see Luke survives the projection... is he already on death's door when he merges with the Force? Or is he killing himself, when he could actually have a chance of recovery? Either way, the ultimate end of Luke's epic journey involves a haircut, dyed beard and Rey's crappy stunt saber. It's sad.

Nailed it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 36614414_1878942688829212_9221507965213736960_n.jpg
    36614414_1878942688829212_9221507965213736960_n.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 236

Oh ... for Pete’s sake !? We get it already . Everyone who liked or loved TLJ are bloody brilliant True supportive fans of the franchise , and Everyone else who had legitimate views and arguments for not liking or loathing the film and the direction it took are nothing but Big Manbabies right ! ... :cry

Jeez some of the ‘ our Schit is ice cream ‘ crowd are surely placing themselves in an awkward , unwanted situation , by even condescendingly acknowledging us mere Morons ... Thank you so much !:facepalm

:cheersGed

Last edited:

Excerpt from Jake Lloyd's Wikipedia:
"In 2012, Lloyd explained that his decision to retire from acting in 2001 was due to bullying at school. As a result, he decided to no longer keep all owned Star Wars memorabilia.
On June 17, 2015, Lloyd was arrested for reckless driving, driving without a license, and resisting arrest. He was moved from jail to a psychiatric facility after he was diagnosed with schizophrenia."

Daisy Ridley deleted her Instagram because of harrassment over a gun-violence post. She also received criticism for simply being slender and "setting unrealistic ideals". Also she says:
"It’s not good for me, personally. I’m just not equipped for it. I’m super sensitive—not too sensitive—but I really feel things"

Regarding Lucas, it's arguable. Even around ROTS I seem to remember he said he was not gonna do the sequel trilogy. In 2005 he completely closed the door on him or anyone else making Ep7 with the old crew.

Regarding the "Finn boycott" I'd like to refer back to the TLJ team's favourite trump card: it's a vocal minority of idiots.

I'm starting to feel like in the 80s when Ozzy, Judas Priest and Sabbath were taken to court because people "committed suicide because of their music".

Footnote: Kylo IS indeed a caricature of a Star Wars superfan, you need to be blind not to see that right away. At least in TFA.

Last edited:
Oh ... for Pete’s sake !? We get it already . Everyone who liked or loved TLJ are bloody brilliant True supportive fans of the franchise , and Everyone else who had legitimate views and arguments for not liking or loathing the film and the direction it took are nothing but Big Manbabies right ! ... :cry

Jeez some of the ‘ our Schit is ice cream ‘ crowd are surely placing themselves in an awkward , unwanted situation , by even condescendingly acknowledging us mere Morons ... Thank you so much !:facepalm

Did you write this while violently lashing out with a lightsaber, Ky...err, Ged? :facepalm

Perhaps you and a few others in this thread, should take some advice from movie director James Gunn? :D

Did you write this while violently lashing out with a lightsaber, Ky...err, Ged? :facepalm

Perhaps you and a few others in this thread, should take some advice from movie director James Gunn? :D

To your initial question ... perhaps!:lol

Re ; the suggestion ... I’ve read what Mr.Gunn ( who’s work I admire ) had to say , and find myself in agreement with his thoughts , prior to him saying it actually . Thank you .
To that affect , I was exercising my right to ‘ critique ‘ your decision to post that ‘ cartoon ‘ with your added ‘ Nailed it ‘ comment attached .
If only we afforded that curtesy of which Mr. Gunn refers to each other in this instance , Manbaby to Manbaby hmm !;)

Last edited:
Do you really think anyone here is guilty of harassing those actors?
Or are you lumping everyone who disliked TLJ into the same category as those trolls?
This comic strip isn't just about people that directly harassed the actors or the filmmakers. That doesn't make some of the posts here any less of fanboy tantrums... the last three panels of the strip are pertinent.

But, honestly? there are a few people here I wouldn't put past this harassment or belonging to the crazy extremist groups on Reddit or Facebook. Sadly. I feel I've seen the 'crazy anger' that incites this kinda stuff in some of the reactions here - thankfully, it's only been one or two people. You just need to read their posts and how they've handled themselves about the entire matter - some of the comments that I've read here are kinda scary. (I mean, you just have to look up a few posts at a little tantrum from someone that went through all sorts of trouble to emphasize with bold and odd capitalization... and that's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg).

So... to answer your question directly: am lumping everyone who disliked TLJ into the same category as those troll? Nope - I never said or implied anything of the sort. Sane people can dislike a movie, can dislike Star Wars or Empire, can dislike anything. Disagreement and discussion is healthy (to an extent), but, we've seen it go too far... your two cents might differ.

I find this comic strip rings true to me and does apply to folks here - some more than others. Maybe they didn't send a tweet to actor-x or they don't belong to that internet group - but, there are plenty of messages on this forum that sure seem to have these whiny, fanboy tantrums. ...and I guess it's time I end my little tantrum :)

- - - Updated - - -

Moral of the story, no legitimate complaint about the new Star Wars will be accepted by people who liked it.
Moral of the story: make your criticisms legitimate.

Anyone else notice someone post a nasty generalization about a group of people in an effort to avoid an actual discussion?
Yes - mostly anyone involved in making Star Wars: The Last Jedi. ...how many posts have we seen calling Rian Johnson names here? ...how much of a witch hunt have we seen for Kathleen Kennedy or this person or that person? The actual discussion about TLJ was gone months ago - outside of a few posts here and there - it's been little more than a hatefest.

But, we don't want to interrupt all that now do we? Feel free to carry on with the "actual discussion" by avoiding real discussion. Ya know, real discussion by claiming Rian Johnson is "whoreish pandering" by claiming to have spent hours with Carrie Fisher -- someone he made a feature length movie with. Someone with actual video of him talking and laughing with. See... that's a fanboy tantrum, not actual discussion... I could go on, but it's fruitless. Go have your faux "actual discussion."

Yes - mostly anyone involved in making Star Wars: The Last Jedi. ...how many posts have we seen calling Rian Johnson names here? ...how much of a witch hunt have we seen for Kathleen Kennedy or this person or that person? The actual discussion about TLJ was gone months ago - outside of a few posts here and there - it's been little more than a hatefest.

But, we don't want to interrupt all that now do we? Feel free to carry on with the "actual discussion" by avoiding real discussion. Ya know, real discussion by claiming Rian Johnson is "whoreish pandering" by claiming to have spent hours with Carrie Fisher -- someone he made a feature length movie with. Someone with actual video of him talking and laughing with. See... that's a fanboy tantrum, not actual discussion... I could go on, but it's fruitless. Go have your faux "actual discussion."

Wow! So you calling people names before they even interact with you, just because they might challenge you *isn't* a tantrum?

We have over 200 pages of people trying your exact same tactic.

It isn't original.

The people who dislike whoreish pandering, and have seen RJ social media will understand. ;)

This comic strip isn't just about people that directly harassed the actors or the filmmakers. That doesn't make some of the posts here any less of fanboy tantrums... the last three panels of the strip are pertinent.

But, honestly? there are a few people here I wouldn't put past this harassment or belonging to the crazy extremist groups on Reddit or Facebook. Sadly. I feel I've seen the 'crazy anger' that incites this kinda stuff in some of the reactions here - thankfully, it's only been one or two people. You just need to read their posts and how they've handled themselves about the entire matter - some of the comments that I've read here are kinda scary. (I mean, you just have to look up a few posts at a little tantrum from someone that went through all sorts of trouble to emphasize with bold and odd capitalization... and that's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg).

So... to answer your question directly: am lumping everyone who disliked TLJ into the same category as those troll? Nope - I never said or implied anything of the sort. Sane people can dislike a movie, can dislike Star Wars or Empire, can dislike anything. Disagreement and discussion is healthy (to an extent), but, we've seen it go too far... your two cents might differ.

I find this comic strip rings true to me and does apply to folks here - some more than others. Maybe they didn't send a tweet to actor-x or they don't belong to that internet group - but, there are plenty of messages on this forum that sure seem to have these whiny, fanboy tantrums. ...and I guess it's time I end my little tantrum :)

- - - Updated - - -

Moral of the story: make your criticisms legitimate.

You talking to me !? ... oops ,... about my post ? :lol:lol:lol!!! ... that’s such a weird feeling ... being referred to and yet not being named ?

I’m the type of person - whether tapping away on a keypad at odd hours , or sitting directly opposite a person - who will gladly engage in topics of shared interests if invited to - and would willingly reciprocate the tone of such discourse .

If by my use and choice of Bold and OdD cApiTiliZATioN bothers or offends you ... well that was not my intent . What was , and why I used them should be obvious .
I was merely trying to express my frustration at the constant ‘ mud slinging ‘ used by both sides of this ( at times ) ridiculous argument of who has the superior moral ground for their personal ‘ points of view ‘ .
You knew very well @JD what you were posting , and who your target audience were meant to be .
So , I challenge your notion of wanting to participate in honest ‘ real ‘ discussion alone . You’re just as guilty of participating in the other kind too .

You were the one ‘schit stirring ‘ by sharing that post , not me . I was reacting to it as honestly as I could , being absolutely ‘ fed up ‘ with being grouped in with truely moronic people and their extreme views and actions ..., and I’m the ‘ scary guy ‘ !? ... Boo! :facepalm

I have a suggestion of my own to offer you . Try to show some respect to the person you’re referring to ( as I’ve done ) when speaking about them , especially knowing that they’ll probably end up seeing your thoughts concerning them eventually . That’s not hard to do is it ?

Anyone else notice someone post a nasty generalization about a group of people in an effort to avoid an actual discussion?

Why, yes, actually. Let’s see ....

people who like TLJ don't care about legit criticisms. They love the movie BECAUSE it is broken.

Just realize, no matter how sincere and well you articulate any of TLJ's terrible plot holes, the people who liked it either: won't admit to it, claim they can't see it, or use an absurd non-comparisson to compare from another movie.

It's like trying to explain math to someone who has already decided math it dumb. You can waste your time explaining numbers, and values, and how it all works, but they don't care. They will act as if they objectively listened and made a decision, but their decision was made before you even tried to explain it.

Like explaining to someone in an abusive relationship that it is abusive, their common sense and logic goes out the window the harder you try.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back