Metal Barrel for Blade Runner Blaster kit from Tomenosuke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've started working with a machine shop through work to produce one of our product lines. I could ask them.
I would just need dims and such. thoughts?

So just the bulldog barrel? All I'd need is the plastic one off the kit for reference. Someone hang a pic of the plastic barrel would ya?

Here are pics of Dave's old run. posted In the old thread. so I hope it's alright to use them. if not Dave let me know and I will pull the pics...

View attachment 659467

DaveG gave his blessing to a PropSummit user to do a second run a while ago. I'd imagine he would give it again if contacted, because I don't think he has any interest in making these any more.

If somebody does it they should make a few with rifling :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody in their right mind would make one of those with rifling. It suggests you're replicating firearm parts...

As for the reference. There's nothing top secret here. All one needs is the plastic barrel so it can be duplicated in steel. Simple as that. It's a simple job, really. The only challenge is making sure the interest is there. Not worth tooling up for 6 or 7 of these things.

-Rylo

DaveG gave his blessing to a PropSummit user to do a second run a while ago. I'd imagine he would give it again if contacted, because I don't think he has any interest in making these any more.

If somebody does it they should make a few with rifling :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Barrels aren't regulated in the same way receivers are. The gun is the receiver (or in some instances with machine guns the sear, oddly enough). BAFTE could care less about people rifling some mild steel in their workshop. This is why I can buy rifled barrel stock and have it delivered to my door, but I can only order an 80% receiver... unless I go through an FFL. I understand not wanting to go there, though.

The barrel is simple, for sure. I was just referring to common courtesy since Dave was the first to make them, but I'm not the most well versed in how that stuff works. You will definitely sell more than 6-7, and knowing you I'm sure they will be quite nice. Every time Tomenosuke puts out a new blaster, there's a demand for these again. It's a really easy mod for people to make, and really makes a difference in the appearance of the blaster. Like I said, I'd buy a couple myself.

Nobody in their right mind would make one of those with rifling. It suggests you're replicating firearm parts...

As for the reference. There's nothing top secret here. All one needs is the plastic barrel so it can be duplicated in steel. Simple as that. It's a simple job, really. The only challenge is making sure the interest is there. Not worth tooling up for 6 or 7 of these things.

-Rylo

Last edited:
Don't forget the the two threaded side holes have to be perfectly aligned and the steel bar in the body of the gun has to be considered. Not rocket science but I wouldn't say simple.

My barrel Is In an off world gun. If you would get permission from Dave Rylo. I would be willing to dismantle the gun and loan you the barrel. but I would need confirmed permission from Dave to both party's..

Small side note. I would only loan the barrel to Rylo as I know he Is a long time and trusted member and seller here. so any others considering PMing me. don't waste your time...

Last edited:
I would imagine that rifling the barrels would add a considerable amount of work. A simpler option might be a plastic inner sleeve that reproduces the rifling. This would also bypass any potential legal situations.

I would imagine that rifling the barrels would add a considerable amount of work. A simpler option might be a plastic inner sleeve that reproduces the rifling. This would also bypass any potential legal situations.

I would assume Rylo is stating that you could be walking a very fine... a VERY hair thin line... of getting into legal trouble by actually rifling the barrel. Not that it is difficult, but that if word got out, you could find yourself in major trouble AND no matter how much you argue that you are making a replica, the fact that you took the step to rifle the barrel will look very bad for you and could be used against your defense.

Rylo, if you were to do a run of barrles, I'd definitely be in for one.

I would assume Rylo is stating that you could be walking a very fine... a VERY hair thin line... of getting into legal trouble by actually rifling the barrel. Not that it is difficult, but that if word got out, you could find yourself in major trouble AND no matter how much you argue that you are making a replica, the fact that you took the step to rifle the barrel will look very bad for you and could be used against your defense.

There really is no line with barrels. You don't need a manufacturer's license to make them. You are breaking more laws by not putting an orange plug in the barrel than you are by rifling it. It is definitely an added process that is kind of a pain in the butt if you're not set up for it, though. Anyway, I now recuse myself from this debate. Look forward to seeing something in the project runs if it happens.

Okay but how hard is it to swap one out in a finished PKD...

Not big on popping open a brand new one... But if a simple swap, I would probably be in as well.

Pretty easy... did it on my Tomenosuke... plastic barrel is easy to saw off and then just some filling and fitting....

Okay but how hard is it to swap one out in a finished PKD...

Not big on popping open a brand new one... But if a simple swap, I would probably be in as well.

GAH! SAW OFF??!?!?

Don't know about that.... at the price it cost (with Canadian exchange) I can't see myself sawing anything.... ha.

My Tomenosuke arrived yesterday. Hopefully i'll get to tear into it this weekend and spend some time creating a model for the barrel.
I'll keep an eye on this thread as to not "step on toes" or do a lot of redundant work.

Yeah of course... it looks A LOT better than the plastic barrel it comes with.... which model did you get? The new HCG?

GAH! SAW OFF??!?!?

Don't know about that.... at the price it cost (with Canadian exchange) I can't see myself sawing anything.... ha.

Yeah of course... it looks A LOT better than the plastic barrel it comes with.... which model did you get? The new HCG?

Yep. I'm paying it off today, then it's just a short wait to see if it passes customs...

I've never seen one in person, so having it in my hands may change my mind... we'll see!

A generous offer, but if I were to move forward with such a run, I'd prefer to start from scratch and do my own thing, based on the kit. Thank you very much though.

I may just pick up a kit and that will solve the issue completely...

Like I said up top, I'll watch for the interest. I could take it or leave it so no big deal, really.

-Rylo

Don't forget the the two threaded side holes have to be perfectly aligned and the steel bar in the body of the gun has to be considered. Not rocket science but I wouldn't say simple.

My barrel Is In an off world gun. If you would get permission from Dave Rylo. I would be willing to dismantle the gun and loan you the barrel. but I would need confirmed permission from Dave to both party's..

Small side note. I would only loan the barrel to Rylo as I know he Is a long time and trusted member and seller here. so any others considering PMing me. don't waste your time...

For clarity on the "legality" of using a rifled barrel. There IS NO ISSUE. I have been a licensed firearms dealer and builder for over 25 years, and a cop for 27 years. I am currently building my SECOND Bladerunner blaster using a real, working Charter Arms Bulldog. You can see my tutorials on both builds on the Propsummit site.

The Temenosuke is constructed to comply with strict Japanese laws regarding "non-guns" (replicas, air soft, re-enactors, display, DEWATS, etc.), and the replica Bulldog within is designed not to be able to interchange parts with a real one. The barrel is not threaded to the Bulldog frame so it would never take a round, probably not even a blank. Any attempt to fire rounds out of a Japanese replica firearm runs the risk of turning an expensive prop into a hand grenade that explodes in your hand. My point is that if you keep the Temenosuke method of barrel attachment and blockage built into their Bulldog replica, you are not violating laws re. building a "firearm."

That said, there IS something cool about looking at a rifled barrel poking out of a Bladerunner blaster. We made mine out of simple "barrel stock" in .44 caliber. You buy it already rifled in long lengths (for rifles) and cut it to length, turn it down, crown it, thread it, etc. and on a real gun you consider lede (sic), thread shoulder contact, torque, etc. This is what I did for my two shooters. For a REPLICA you need not worry because the Temenosuke Bulldog is not threaded, will not fire a round, is not strong enough to contain the pressure of a round going off, etc. so for the look of a rifled barrel it's not a big legal issue and there is that cross member at the back of the barrel where it joins the revolver anyway that blocks any bullet from going through. For additional peace of mind, it's nothing to throw a blob of weld in the back of the barrel to further occlude it.

Not encouraging one barrel of another, just wanted to offer some clarification here. The pre-rifled barrel material is not that expensive, is real steel which blues beautifully, and you don't have to drill a hole in steel to simulate a bore. Here's what the material looks like, this one is shouldered and turned to the right diameter.

BarrelStock2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back