Metal M38 replica scope

tomm1999

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Incase anyone is looking for a nice replica M38 scope I just picked one up off evilbay. Can't post links to live auctions but if you search "M38 Scope" Im sure you will find the finished and unfinished kits. Here is a pic, it looks pretty nice.

m38 replica metal.jpg

Seen these, look pretty neat. Especially now when the M38/M40 scope goes for almost 3 times the price it went a few years ago

Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
did you recive it yet , so you can say something about the finish/accuracy or did you just order ?
been looking for a metal 1942 scope for a while without breaking the bank , and just about seems impossible these days with most going for 400 or more on ebay

Casting - yes. Machining - not so much (for a proffesional that knows what he does).

But it´s a little bit more expensive, roughly x3. If i guesstimate he used a 35mm dia and 150mm long piece of round stock, it would be around 5-6€ in alu and around 16-17€ for brass (and 55€ for real bronze). The prices are if you order exactly these small quantity, if ordered via a company that orders much more over a year, the prices go down noticeable.

I think Michael is right, probably came down to cost. When I order aluminum I buy 10 or 12 feet at a time, when I order brass I order by the inch. A foot of 1.5" round 6061 (extruded) aluminum is $8, a foot of the same size in brass is $65. So it would push the cost towards the price of a real one. Ill let everyone know once I get it and what my thoughts are. I figured its a decent price for a metal replica and not that much more than resin/ cold cast ones.

Looks like most of these pieces were made on a lathe. I messaged the guy asking if he would ever make one in brass :) (I would change the lenses to glass then call this perfect)

For someone experienced? Sure.

For an amateur there is a definite learning curve to brass that aluminium doesn't have.

I don´t really agree.

If you have no experience and buy a lathe, so being a absolute beginner, you need to be carefull and get experience with both to get good results. Or maybe you know a experienced person that can train you, but if he can train you on both materials.

Most people prefer working on brass with "dull" toolsbits, esspecially when drilling to avoid the sharp drill from biting. I just use standard drills (mill, drillpress, lathe), you jazt have to get used on it. For turning brass i prefer the extra sharp indexeable tips for alu, but for parting it i go with a indexeable tip for steel with no aggressive angle.

It all comes down to what you tried and what works good for you and your machines (different sizes and different rigid).

I talked to the guy and he has 200 sterlings (demilled I think, not for sale yet), he is also producing an aluminum version of the sterling. Will the guys in the US finally have a nice option for Sterlings? I hope so!

That looks neat. But it is worth checking evilbay often. I did and got a real vintage M38 in great shape for about 60 euros.

That looks neat. But it is worth checking evilbay often. I did and got a real vintage M38 in great shape for about 60 euros.
Have been checking since christmas , and all but one ( that i bought for 150 ;)) have been going for around 300 euros , as far as i have seen at least , think i will have to order one of these

Got mine today. If anyone else has one, test the thread area in the small side. Mine has thread issues. The large piece went right in.

Thank you for posting this! I bought one and it arrived in the mail today. I have yet to open it, but I'll post again once I do. I purchased an airsoft Sterling Submachine Gun from Evike. After all these years of hemming and hawing about building an E-ll for my Luke ANH costume, I finally bit the bullet.

Thank you for posting this! I bought one and it arrived in the mail today. I have yet to open it, but I'll post again once I do. I purchased an airsoft Sterling Submachine Gun from Evike. After all these years of hemming and hawing about building an E-ll for my Luke ANH costume, I finally bit the bullet.
I contacted the seller and he is sending a replacement part. Seems like he will stand behind his items.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back