Mottrex's Metal Fett build..

Mottrex

Sr Member
Hi all so I've wanted a Boba Fett costume for a long time..prolly since I got that little cardboard box with a certain plastic figure lurking inside such a long time ago (yes I still have him)

Anyway here's where I am at

1000020817.jpg

I originally starting my journey into making a Boba style helmet with Rafaels Amazing plans during lockdown and got as far as printing cutting and covering the cardboard with a little too much filler and lost interest.

This past month I got the helmet out to find its's full of mold broken and distorted so a new plan was hatched.

1000020989.jpg

So there's a great Industrial estate near me that chucks away vast quantities of scrap metal into open skips,they make Air con units and duct boxes and said I could have a rummage.
The idea was to build an R2 Unit..but a year later the twisted metal sheets sat in the cellar waiting patiently until the kids said...

"Fancy this years ComicCon in London"

And it ignited a switch..

I realise I've gone in hard and deep but my thought process is a sturdy costume that can both take a beating and last a few years.
I'm not sure if it's going to be full on Boba a variant or my name sake.
I don't have fancy tools so hope if anything this inspires others to try metal as an option especially as cintra isn't easy to find round these parts for some reason.

Rafaels (Awesome) templates..

1000020697.jpg

1000020667.jpg

1000020809.jpg

The Downside of Tin snips is the effort to cut, I'm using 1mm thick metal sheets..

Am I mad ?
It could all end in tears ?
Let me know your thoughts and any suggestions welcomed.
Coming from a Dental background I have precision motors and polishing equipment oh and a Arc welder which I used many moons ago restoring classic cars but that's another lifetime..

Regards

Mott.

Fingers now recovered..
I cut out the Cod piece wraparound section last week.
20230817_161435.jpg

Ive tried it on for fit and still deciding how it will open and be secured if needs be to Flight Suit. Guessing the point will need to go to avoid accidents..

20230822_162126.jpg

Made a start on Gauntletts and got the rough shape using a PVC pipe but that might change later on..
20230825_145129.jpg

20230825_152635.jpg

Flight Suit arrived well boiler suits that I'm planning on altering changing the pockets etc.(edit: going back as too dark)
My list of items seems to be
growing and growing..

Oh and then there's this..
BackgroundEraser_20230904_140439323.jpg

Really cracked on this week and with the help of my wife it's finally finished..
There's lots of things I'd do differently next time, it's been a learning curve for sure. The flare gun is still on the bench but will get my attention soon.

Those pesky gauntlets.. More was done later
20231022_131904.jpg

Knees..

20231024_192807.jpg

Cheap boots to speed things up

20231025_131822.jpg
A little bit of paint.

20231026_112658.jpg

20231026_140528.jpg

All boxed up ready for the weekend.

Attachments

• 20231026_140528.jpg
    20231026_140528.jpg
    974.7 KB · Views: 30
More metal builds of anything are always a joy to see take shape! You'll be doing full metal builds soon with that arc welder and I'm looking forward to that! ;)

More metal builds of anything are always a joy to see take shape! You'll be doing full metal builds soon with that arc welder and I'm looking forward to that! ;)
Thanks for the encouragement, I do enjoy working in metal and it also means I can knock my armour about without fear of damaging and getting interesting patina and paint chips at the same time.

Just a quick shot of me at today's MCM ComicCon.

Screenshot_20231027_195724_WhatsApp.jpg

I cant believe how heavy Clouds sword Buster was!

Yeah I need to hide the Beard lol.

Looks great all painted up! Would have loved to see a bit more of the process. Nice work!
Yeas I have a slew of photos I'll get them posted including the hits and the misses..
Being my first build since my Jedi days with a lot more to make was certainly a challenge the gauntlets were interesting that's for sure and ended up making the tops multiple times..
This Metal Armour took a right beating at the weekend and came away with nothing more than natural patina..phew.
The Flight jacket worked a treat (thanks Mrs Mott) I do need to re sew one arm but thats not a biggy.
Was invited into a few photo shoots which was cool for a newbie..

Epic fo.. I had my upper armour on the inside of Flac but what's done is done.

The Family had a great time at the Con..

A New year and new goodies..
Bought a great custom made flightsuit all fully lined and made to my measurements.
Suit
Flak
Neck seal
Extra pockets
Boot spats..

I also gnarled the metal plates a lot more and re sprayed with a Tamiya orange to give it a sunkist look.
I've also bought chest display which has ESB/Book of Boba/ Moff Gideon read out.

Still a few more bits to finish like painting the Cod piece which I've missed and want to make a better set of pouches as I made those in about two hours with wood shorts and good old superglue.

Oh and I've started a bespoke Mottrex mando too..

It's getting addictive again.

1000028857.jpg

Hopefully looking better than the rush job in October?

You know I love these colors
I do..

I'm surprised there aren't a slew of HF 78 Fetts Ive seen maybe one here in the UK and maybe only ten to fifteen from some of the Big guns in prop making on the forums. Maybe it's because it's a cartoon but that hasn't stopped other characters.
I don't think I'd ever get to the level of but don't even think this version is even canon for the 501st?
I couldn't see it listed on their requirements or on Mandalorian Merks, I could be wrong as I'm searching on a teeny tiny mobile atm.

In other news I've just ordered my Shin tools from Pattersons and a vintage reddish Cinch belt, who'd have thought Boba was wearing equestrian show harness.

So... the courier decided to play football with my package and then crudely tape it up...

1000031741.jpg

Inside is my future jetpack..

1000031743.jpg

Unfortunately a few parts got lost in transit but after contacting the sender and working out what was missing they kindly offered to reprint the missing parts which was really good of them..

Next... I've ordered some special pieces from Machine Craft for later into the build.

I seem to have lost my EE-3 build and the molex I purchased but It'll turn up...

For the jetpack I'm going to use Superglue to bond then use a soldering iron to fuse and depending on weight re enforcement to inside corners/week areas.
Then I've got to decide how to mount the jetpack as I still haven't fabricated backplate in metal, it's currently foam board...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back