Low Budget 1:1 BB-8 Build

Sheeple

For the past few months I've been working on a pretty fun project! A full sized static BB-8! Since Since I'm a college student I have to keep my builds pretty reasonably priced, so I'm shooting for the $100-$200 mark for this entire build.

Early Steps were to find my base materials for a reasonable price. I bought a 55cm yoga ball at target for about $15, then paper mached the yoga ball with some mod podge. I did it in two hemispheres, but if I was going to do this again I'd do it way differently. The two hemispheres caused a huge seam that I had to fix. For the head I used an 11" bowl I found at Ikea for a few bucks.
IMG_8212.jpg

My second step was to smooth out the surfaces and get it hardened. I bought a gallon of sparkle at Home Depot for $20 and started slapping it on. The seam line was still pretty noticeable so I had to do a few coats and a ton of sanding! To get the correct look of the head, I extended the bowl by an inch or so using foamcore, which is what I also used to cover the bottom of the bowl to get the correct look.
IMG_8213.jpg

After some more sanding the seam line became nearly unnoticeable.
IMG_8214.jpg

This is where I am today. I sprayed the head with some filler primer and did my best to draw out the panel lines and started scribing.

IMG_8265.jpg IMG_8268.jpgIMG_8267.jpgIMG_8266.jpgIMG_8269.jpg

It's really starting to look like BB-8! I'm pretty ecstatic with it so far!
IMG_8270.jpg

I'm going to be focusing on the head for the next few weeks. I live in Utah and we're buried in snow till spring so I can't prime and work on the main body for at least another month or two. The head will no doubt keep me busy though! Let me know what you guys think!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back