Rey's Gun TFA

I am still tinkering with the files, but i will put them on thingiverse when i am done. I am almost happy with my new grips. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454341966.972855.jpg

Version 2.0 (90% of previous version) prior to black wash, muzzle blue, and weathering. This one has a fixed trigger, since my pivot design sucked. I am almost happy with the grips. They may be to tall or just the bottom is too tall.

Pardon the sloppiness, I realized that it is a tad small so that has been reflected in my prep work.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454371184.827705.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454371193.996572.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454371202.833770.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1454712943.377053.jpg

Last edited:
Can someone assist with the complete list of screws needed? It appears that there are a total of (4) different styles used:

1) The most common tamper proof torx screw (M4 or #8 in size)

2) The screws on the grips (Qty. 4 - aluminum hex button screws)

3) Some sort of smaller tamper proof screw?

4) Smaller hex cap style screw?

View attachment 583254

I have a better idea of the screw sizes after nearly completing a build :)

For the default size of the greggo and lilykill models, the closest screw sizes are:

Torx button head security screws (also called Torx pin head):
Grips: size M4 or #8 (8-32 or 8-36)
Body: size M3 or #4 (4-40 or 4-48... a #5 might work but that is an uncommon size)

Tiny socket head cap screw (2 on each side above trigger, and 2 on end of barrel):
#1 (1-64 or 1-72) or #2 and I'm unsure of a metric equivalent.

You can see Torx security M3 below along with #1-64 for the tiny socket head screws. Haven't picked up security screws for the grips yet but the #8 is a perfect fit. This is greggo's version.

Last edited:
Has any in this thread actually seen this prop in person?

Before I think about building this in metal, I would love to know about the Main Barrel Assembly.

Does the assembly actually have a barrel that runs through the shroud? From the pics, I cannot decide. Real world definitely would have a barrel with the vented shroud, but the prop makers could take the easier way.

Thanks
Brian

Has any in this thread actually seen this prop in person?

Before I think about building this in metal, I would love to know about the Main Barrel Assembly.

Does the assembly actually have a barrel that runs through the shroud? From the pics, I cannot decide. Real world definitely would have a barrel with the vented shroud, but the prop makers could take the easier way.

Thanks
Brian

I have not, but in the pictures I've seen it looks hollow.

attachment.php
attachment.php

It should be noted that there are at least two versions of this - you can tell them apart by whether the front plate that the barrel attaches to is one or two parts (more specifically, the presence or absence of the groove between the two central screws on the front plate). The blaster seen in the Visual Dictionary, Wired, and in promo pics with Rey has this groove, but the Launch Bay prop does not.

In addition, the two central screws are positioned a little higher on the LB single piece front plate version.

Are there any other differences?

Also, what's going on here with only 7 barrel vents? A trick of the light?

Rey-and-Han.jpg

8 are visible here, presumably from the same scene, just a different set up:
maxresdefault.jpg

Actually, going by the position of the falcon in the background, these may not be both from the movie scene. Is one just a promo photo?

Thanks for all your work everyone! This is great. I plan on making one out of aluminum, stainless, and wood, but as a quick fix I purchased a rough 3D printed kit from Filament to Fantasy on Etsy (Not sure if they have an RPF presence?). I finally got around to finishing it, I did some light sanding but out of impatience, covered each part in aluminum tape, then used some dark grey hammer textured paint to hit the dark spots and rubbed it back. Still have some more finishing work to do on it, but I'm pretty pleased, for something that took me an afternoon's work anyway. The main body is 2 15/16" long, and I'm thinking if I made a metal one for myself, it would be about 3 1/8" long. Anyway, just thought I'd share...
Rey's Blaster_Christof_FilamentToFantasy-3530.jpg
Rey's Blaster_Christof_FilamentToFantasy-3527.jpg

-Christof

The print job looks really clean. I'd hit it with filler primer and see if that helps take care of the print lines.

Do you have a link to the seller?

Everyone I want to compliment y'all on modeling skills and scratchwork here!

I'm caught up now...from a useless opinion standpoint, it baffles me they didn't make a pistol frame and build the main body over that. This is me thinking OT durability and stuff :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back