Hasbro Black Series Rogue One Stormtrooper Helmet

95e7fbf5845ed75553d68b4a2306fd25.jpg

My take at painting and weathering. First time doing something like this. I think it turned out quite okay

For a first time it looks great! Weathering can be a little tricky at first, but there's all kinds of different methods out there to get the job done. Looks like you might not need to look into any though!
I've currently started working on the interior of my black series helmet. I've always wanted to do that, so this helmet provides a good start.

I've been watching the final one at a local Walmart waiting for it to go on clearance. Today I stopped in and the section it was in had been reset. Not top give up hope, I checked the clearance section and a clearance rack down the center of a main aisle. Still hopeful, after getting my other shopping done, I rechecked the rack and there was a familiar looking box... Unfortunately it was the Kylo Ren. Just to see what the price might be, I took it to a price checker and unbelievably, the price has gone UP to $79.54. What the...? Well, even if it is somewhat inaccurate, I still have my old FX bucket which cost me way less than $79.

Does anyone have any advice on how to polish/clean this up? Mine has some weird "smudges" that don't seem to go away when I tried wiping it with some alcohol and a microfiber cloth. It's hard to capture on camera but it sort of looks like fingerprint smudges that won't go away.

Does anyone have any advice on how to polish/clean this up? Mine has some weird "smudges" that don't seem to go away when I tried wiping it with some alcohol and a microfiber cloth. It's hard to capture on camera but it sort of looks like fingerprint smudges that won't go away.

Mine. too, has a god amount of small, fine scratches / smudges on the dome. Never noticed it under incandescent light indoors, but under full flouresscent lamps in my workshop, they popped out.

Any use Novus polish on theirs yet?

A good trick for weathering and wash is to never use either pure black or pure white color. Nothing in the real world weathers in black. I always start from a brown or white-isch color .. try it and you will really like the result!

I like your red a lot though! :) did you use liquid masking to do this? Or salt and water? Or you just simply scratched your paint job?

Mine. too, has a god amount of small, fine scratches / smudges on the dome. Never noticed it under incandescent light indoors, but under full flouresscent lamps in my workshop, they popped out.

Hey same here! Mine’s on the dome part as well. Hope someone can help us out.

Novus polish works fine on ABS

I put the Hytech Toys ones from fleabay in my eFX. Search for:

STORMTROOPER HELMET HOVI TIP SPEAKERS W/ INSTALLATION KIT (SPEAKERS ONLY)

I wasn't able to get their voice changer to work very well but the mic tips are good and work well.

Hi everyone...I know I am supposed to post my first post at the new members' thread but I have been a lurker in this thread for far too long and thought I'd just dive in. I was really inspired by the amount of creativity going on not only with the RPF but also particularly by a YouTuber PITT FORCE FIVE who did a mod of the Kylo Ren helmet using the cheap Voice Changer mod he found on Amazon. I simply tried to replicate the mod with the Hasbro Stormtrooper helmet.

Now, before I dived into this project, I hadn't planned on doing something so major...like just get the Voice Changer, tape the mic and strap on the unit in my belt and be done with it. No I had to take a leap of faith and rely on my rusty soldering skills which I have never used ever since I left Technical School. Anyway, I am now at the point where I have replaced the original helmet's 0.25W speaker and voice changer circuit board to the 0.5W speaker and circuit board from the Amazon Voice Changer.

I wanted to use back the original helmet's ON/OFF switch, but I am unsure how I need to connect the two leads from the helmet switch to the Voice Changer circuit board's toggle switch. I'm not confident in doing a clean removal of the circuit board's toggle switch haha, considering this is the first time I touched a soldering iron since I was 19!

Currently I soldered the helmet's switch leads (blue colour wires) to the last two leads on the circuit board which should be the "Stormtrooper voice". But now when I press once on the helmet switch, yes it will turn off the mic/board but after that I can't get it back on. I have to reset the switch on the circuit board instead to turn it back on. Pretty sure there is a way to make the helmet switch work.

IMG_20170126_071741.jpgIMG_20170126_071814.jpgIMG_20170126_071844.jpgIMG_20170126_071900.jpgIMG_20170126_071718.jpgWiring.JPG

This is a short video of the mod. Forgive me if the quality or my speech is bad, as I shot the video just before rushing off to work!

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2BeSbkoEk7qbFh0S1h5dHE0a0k/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Last edited:
For a first time it looks great! Weathering can be a little tricky at first, but there's all kinds of different methods out there to get the job done. Looks like you might not need to look into any though!
I've currently started working on the interior of my black series helmet. I've always wanted to do that, so this helmet provides a good start.

Thanks :) Yea, I went with like zero knowledge full carnage on the helmet. Was fun as hell, but next time I think I will watch some tutorials beforehand :D

Looks nice! I'd tone down the black soot weathering a bit. I think it'd look much better.

Yep, had the same thought. toned it down with some acetone already, but I leave as it is right now.

Very cool! What type of paints did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Just a rattlecan of dark red and normal acrylic paint for the weathering. Sticks surprisingly well to the shiny surface. Didn't sand it.

A good trick for weathering and wash is to never use either pure black or pure white color. Nothing in the real world weathers in black. I always start from a brown or white-isch color .. try it and you will really like the result!

I like your red a lot though! :) did you use liquid masking to do this? Or salt and water? Or you just simply scratched your paint job?

Iwilllokintothis.My.spacebar.just.died.on.me.so.I.have.to.make.it.short.I.just.used.mustard.for.masking.worked.nicely.

Has anyone attempted to replace the vocoder/chin with individual rod pieces like the screen used helmets? That's on my list when I finally get to this bucket.

Has anyone attempted to replace the vocoder/chin with individual rod pieces like the screen used helmets? That's on my list when I finally get to this bucket.
I am tempted to give it a go,but I'm torn, this is a Rogue one helmet not ANH. So... I'll be putting mesh behind the teeth and weathering it like the poor schlep in the prison transport.

Sent by the Tapatalk Ferrets

I'd like to do that, but it's probably going to be a while. I need someone willing to do the 3D modeling work for me, and then print it in aluminum and go from there. Further complicated because I'm lengthining the undercut of my R1 helmet to the original ANH Stunt length, which adds over an inch to the grille length:

DSC02395_zpsogkjxf9a.jpg

--Jonah

I finally got one. I paid a bit more than most people in this thread because Hasbro over here does not import it themselves.

I was disappointed when I saw that the interior has a slightly different hue than the exterior. I tested the parts with q-tips dipped in acetone on interior areas and found that while the exterior is smudged by acetone - and must be ABS - most of the interior is some other plastic that is impervious to it.
I had been hoping to mod it without using any paint - instead repurposing plastic for building up the undercut in the front and dissolving in acetone for filling gaps in the tube stripes and in the holes in the back and then polish back the shine. This is going to be a bit harder than I thought.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back