Airsoft E-11 Overhaul -- Pics and info (metal S&T Evike)

dmpsk8

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, I finished part one of my metal airsoft E-11 overhaul. Man, it’s been a ton of work so far but I’m really happy with the results. I can see myself tweaking this thing forever. The amount of e11 accuracy research other members have done is incredible. Sets a really high bar, in a good way.

I wanted this blaster to look worn, as if it was being used and maintained in a brutal environment. All the internal airsoft components are still in place, which means this bad-boy still shoots! Nothing beats the feeling of a beefy metal prop in your hand, and this blaster delivers on that big time. Generally, I tried not to break the bank on this build. You’ll see that in a few of the decisions I made. Here’s a breakdown of the current modifications:

Replaced T Tracks - The stock t tracks are a mess. I replaced them with the killer ones from Roy (WannaWanga!). The only bummer is that the holes in the barrel are a bit undersized. This makes cutting and installing tracks far more tricky. Mine came out pretty good, but if I did it again I could get the install even cleaner.

Rebuilt and relocated the scope - After much debate, I decided to keep the supplied scope and modify the hell out of it. That made for a good creative challenge. The nose was cut off the scope and flipped; I weighted it, added internal crosshairs, then textured the surface. A couple points to note on this part. 1.) Flipping the nose renders the factory optics useless. 2.) If you fill the mold seam on the top of the scope, the scope cannot be removed from the rail. You access the mounting screws by splitting the scope in it’s two pieces. That really drove me nuts from a design standpoint. The seam is still visible on mine for now. I moved the scope forward on the rail as well, which required some new holes in the factory rail.

World's smallest decals - In what can only be described as pure misery, I deiced to make some microscopic decals for the white letters on the scope. Tedious. I printed and cut out every tiny letter individually (small medical scissors crucial) then attached with layers of matte modge podge. On top, I layered some flat black paint and modge podge to blend it in with the texture. The result was surprisingly good. In person, you'd never notice the letters are all little decals. It was annoying, but added a lot.

Real Hengstler Counter - I picked up a legit counter and got it mounted into position. I was able to reuse the factory L bracket for mounting. Very convenient.

Repaint and weathering - For most of the paint, I used a standard blend of brushed / airbrushed acrylics, rub-n-buff, then clear coat. I also tried a new technique that I’m really happy with. I wouldn’t recommend this for trooping or heavy handling, but it’s rad for a display piece. To create a grimy look and feel, I splattered a very, very thin layer of plastidip on the main body. While still wet, I dabbed and cleaned some areas, and misted a satin finish clear coat over top. Once dry, I gently sanded the “grime” off where it made sense. The result feels 100% realistic in person, couldn’t be happier. It feels like the weapon built up gunk in crevices over years of use. This application is obviously not as tough as a standard paint app, but it seems to be reasonably strong. Should be more than enough durability for occasional handling. Honestly, the pictures don’t even do it justice.

Custom Spring - This model didn’t come with a spring, so I decided to make my own. This was made significantly more tricky by the internal airsoft mechanism. I wrapped some heavy wire around a pipe, then hand-shaped a smaller set of turns to fit correctly. If anyone has questions, I can post a pic of the DIY spring. It’s much easier to see the shape than explain it.

Power Cylinders- Opted to refinish the factory ones. They aren’t ideal, but they’re passable, especially after adding metal tips and paint. I also added 3 accurate center capacitors I had around, and some rear wires/fuses for added detail. I haven’t been able to bring myself to paint the metalmite capacitors. There just too cool looking. I might paint them in the future.

Wires - The factory counter wires are too soft, way too long, and generally not sweet. Thus, they were replaced.

Save the old counter! - Side note. If anyone does one of these, save the old counter. It’s not too shabby to use on a cheaper blaster.

DIY Stand - I made this stand out of $1.50 thrift store picture frame, haha. It’s cut perfectly snug, and the contact points are lined with fabric.

Some other work I plan to do… eventually:
- Replace the rail (for correct rear mount and no holes)
- Real M38 scope
- Potential power cylinder swap
- Accurate fabric insulated wires for counter

Without further blabbering and explanation, here she is. Let me know what you guys think. What would you tweak?

BEFORE:

Metal Evike/S&T Sterling
before1_zpsbo6zscj6.jpg

before2_zps7mfvd8jg.jpg

AFTER:

1-e11_blaster_wide_zpsbilgw5md.jpg

2-e11_blaster_scope34med_zpsc7onf34h.jpg

3-e11_blaster_decalOverhead_zpsvwr3xwqg.jpg

4-e11_blaster_barell_zpsqzw1wtmd.jpg

5-e11_blaster_cylinders34cu_zpskkzahfyg.jpg

6-e11_blaster_Crosshairs_zpsduhposkn.jpg

7-e11_blaster_prop_spring_zps5h38gfag.jpg

8-e11_blaster_nameplate_zpsxy0oorog.jpg

9-e11_blaster_scope34cu_zpsvismopnt.jpg

10-Master_e11_right_zpswsvgn07j.jpg

11-Master_e11_left_zpsecvk5jew.jpg

before1_zpsbo6zscj6.jpg

2-e11_blaster_scope34med_zpsc7onf34h.jpg

3-e11_blaster_decalOverhead_zpsvwr3xwqg.jpg

4-e11_blaster_barell_zpsqzw1wtmd.jpg

5-e11_blaster_cylinders34cu_zpskkzahfyg.jpg

6-e11_blaster_Crosshairs_zpsduhposkn.jpg

7-e11_blaster_prop_spring_zps5h38gfag.jpg

8-e11_blaster_nameplate_zpsxy0oorog.jpg

9-e11_blaster_scope34cu_zpsvismopnt.jpg

10-Master_e11_right_zpswsvgn07j.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Airsoft E-11 Overhaul -- Pics and info (metal S&T Evike)

Incredible. Those decals are intense! A job very well done. My repainted rubies Rebels blaster hangs its head in shame, hahaha.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I almost don't believe that's the same scope. Excellent job.
I've got the T track replaced on mine and everything else is ripped off, including the incorrect rail.
I've got a real counter, metal replica scope and Field Marshall's excellent power cylinders. Just need the time to put it all together.

Again, excellent job, you nailed it.
What's the story with that stand? I NEED that stand, it's the exact same color and style as my display shelves!

Thanks for the feedback all!

I almost don't believe that's the same scope. Excellent job.
I've got the T track replaced on mine and everything else is ripped off, including the incorrect rail.
I've got a real counter, metal replica scope and Field Marshall's excellent power cylinders. Just need the time to put it all together.

Again, excellent job, you nailed it.
What's the story with that stand? I NEED that stand, it's the exact same color and style as my display shelves!

It used to be a picture frame that held a photo between 2 pieces of glass. Just happened to be the right size for converting into a stand. Lesson, visit thrift stores often. Can't beat $1.50 for something partially prefab.

Really beautiful work. I am inspired to get one, now that I can see how the mods are possible to make it look accurate!

Very cool! It looks 100 times better. You should send these pics to Evike/S&T and show them how they could have made it, at least regarding the parts and their placement.

Very cool! It looks 100 times better. You should send these pics to Evike/S&T and show them how they could have made it, at least regarding the parts and their placement.

Thanks, and no kidding! That scope placement was nuts.

Granted, the position and flipped nose were done to make the scope usable for airsoft. Most folks buying this model would have probably preferred a non-functional scope that was more accurate.

Thanks man.
I’m sure yours will be awesome! Are you going for a clean or weathered look?

Gonna go somewhere in between haha! Definitely some weathering, no question, but to the extent where the blaster was issued a year or so ago and has seen a few fights.

Re: Airsoft E-11 Overhaul -- Pics and info (metal S&T Evike)

thanks for bumping this! I am doing the same thing but.... I gutted the airsoft and JB welded some real parts together. posting photos in a few hours on my own thread

it looks excellent by the way, your overhaul. I also was fooled that it wasn't the same scope. power cylinders look very awesome too

- - - Updated - - -

hey, how'd you cut down your magazine?

This video covers some of the same info in this post, bust it does share a few extra shots of the blaster:

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back