Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
He was one with the Force and the Force was with him...duh...:p

:lol, you got me there.

Yeah, this movie, I don't know - it felt like a film that knew it had an audience watching - I also thought Force Awakens seemed more like a tv pilot as opposed to a self-contained film. Not that that's bad a thing, but didn't quite get there for me - I *wanted* to like them, and there are definitely parts to like, but just can't love 'em like I'd like to... I'll admit, I had no idea about the Rashomon link to the events in Ben's bedroom until I read it above, that I do like.

Jaina, Jacen and Anakin,

Why is it that this EU, was not followed? It came way before TFA ( and I took it as cannon) And I think thats why some of us are confused.

Before TFA came out, I thought Jacen, was the fallin Kylo and Jaina would be the Rey.

Im curious as to why this was pushed aside. Unless Im way off..

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaina, Jacen and Anakin,

Why is it that this EU, was not followed? It came way before TFA ( and I took it as cannon) And I think thats why some of us are confused.

Before TFA came out, I thought Jacen, was the fallin Kylo and Jaina would be the Rey.

Did you miss the whole controversy when Lucasfilm/Disney dumped the EU?

They basically wiped the slate clean, renamed the old EU as "Star Wars Legends," and declared it non-canon. But George really never thought of the EU as canon to begin with.

The Wookiepedia article has more background: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Legends

Jaina, Jacen and Anakin,

Because the EU (mostly) sucked. It was a mess.
And because Disney didn't want restrict future screenplay writers.

Sent using Tapatalk.

From the story group video, finally a clear shot of the height of First Order impotence:
supremacy 1.jpg

I still can't believe the absolute boredom produced by this script. Why create the biggest ship ever seen in SW if all it's going to do is launch 3 fighters? The story group brags about how they got the cross-sections artist to reflect portions of the movie in the drawings of the Raddus... but with The Supremacy, why bother having a ship with tractor beams and ion cannons in the technical specs if it can't use them? What's the point of having a crew of 2 million and god knows how many fighter squadrons if we don't get to see them in action? Poe can single-handedly disable a Dreadnought but the FO can't send 30, 40, 50 fighters to disable the Raddus? After it's bridge and hanger are destroyed? Preposterous.

Like they did with TFA, Disney has put a lot of the score up on an Oscar "for your consideration" webpage. It has several cues not on the CD, and some of the ones with the same names as the CD are actually longer, or are different versions of them:

http://www.waltdisneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/score

If one were to compile one's own soundtrack playlist, you could ignore these tracks from the website:
Lesson One
The Supremacy
Chrome Dome
Canto Bight
The Fathiers

...and ignore these from the CD (replacing them with the website versions):
Fun With Finn and Rose
A New Alliance
The Battle of Crait
The Spark
The Last Jedi
Finale

That leaves the following duplicates you might want to keep as alternates, because they are different:
Old Friends
The Cave
Ahch-To Island

Which leaves TWELVE of the tracks from the website as completely new!

Here's how I've ordered them, based on the order presented on both the website and the CD, with a little bit of guesswork.

They also both have cues named "Old Friends" that are NOTHING alike, and are in completely different extremes of their playlists. So I put them where their sources had them, adding "alt" to the names of all three variant cues from the web source.

So we have a 29 track playlist, three of which are alts:

Main Title & Escape
Ahch-To Island
Ahch-To Island (alt.)
Revisiting Snoke
The Supremacy
Admiral Holdo
Fun with Finn and Rose
Connection
Old Friends
The Rebellion Is Reborn
Lesson One
Canto Bight
The Master Codebreaker
Who Are You?
The Fathiers
The Cave
The Cave (alt.)
Rey's Journey
The Sacred Jedi Texts
A New Alliance
Holdo's Resolve

Chrome Dome
The Battle of Crait
The Spark
The Last Jedi
Old Friends (alt.)
Escape
Peace & Purpose
Finale

Last edited:
Something about the whole "broom boy" thing has been annoying me for a while now. Not just that it was laughable, something else. It hit me today. It isnt even an original idea.

Here`s a clip from Hogwarts school for Jedi Younglings......the first 30 seconds gives it away.

This guy preys at the church of how great Last Jedi was, so while I personally am not down with what he's saying, some of you who liked it may want to check it out:

https://twitter.com/TwitterMoments/status/950510548013146112

(For the record, although I did not like the movie, I did like Luke's arc of growing so powerful in the force that he is beyond fighting - "Wars not make one great" etc.)

Regarding that Twitter thread - Another question:

If Luke was so set on a path of non violence/ passive resistance and the whole arc of Luke in the TFA and TLJ depends on this - why is he helping the resistance in the finale, so that they and Rey will presumably continue the violence/ fighting of the rebellion? This does not make sense and undoes all that Luke has become and is doing in his force projection. A non violent gesture to save a violent resistance. Crap writing.

Im starting to see the Force abilities, the same way I see someone born with the ability to sing. Your not taught to sing. Sure, you can sing stronger with practice, but the tone and ability to sing a note is not something you can learn. Growing up in a music family. I never had to learn how to sing. You either knew how to sing or didnt. Hence tone deaf, Force deaf

Like hearing music or a song for the first time and you just start singing along. No one taught you how to sing it.

What I think @Usagi Pilgram ment, might be something im considering. You dont learn to use the force. you only learn to master the force.

Rey is using abilities she should have no knowledge of. The mind-trick especially.

To make your analogy work, that would be like Rey singing a song perfectly, but she never heard the song itself. How does she know the lyrics or the tune?

SW traditionally showed us that it takes years of training to get there. Even in real life it takes years of practice to master even one aspect of musical performance. Her proficiency is just too much too quick. It also diminishes Luke's journey in the OT.

No reason to seek out OWK, no reason to seek out Yoda. Luke wasted all his time when all he had to do was just choose to instantly do it. Forget the spiritual journey or the philosophical import of the force. Now it's just instantly granted superhero powers.

See, the point of the force was never "Do neat stuff". It was to make you think about things beyond the physical. The way it's being treated now is cheap. It's now just a light-bulb that can be turned on at will.

And JJ is probably to blame for starting that. He's never shied away from moving a plot along in the most laziest and convenient way possible. Her just knowing and using the mind-trick is as bad as Kirk landing on a planet within foot distance of old Spock ad Scotty.

Last edited:
Rey is using abilities she should have no knowledge of. The mind-trick especially.

To make your analogy work, that would be like Rey singing a song perfectly, but she never heard the song itself. How does she know the lyrics or the tune?

SW traditionally showed us that it takes years of training to get there. Even in real life it takes years of practice to master even one aspect of musical performance. Her proficiency is just too much too quick. It also diminishes Luke's journey in the OT.

No reason to seek out OWK, no reason to seek out Yoda. Luke wasted all his time when all he had to do was just choose to instantly do it. Forget the spiritual journey or the philosophical import of the force. Now it's just instantly granted superhero powers.

See, the point of the force was never "Do neat stuff". It was to make you think about things beyond the physical. The way it's being treated now is cheap. It's now just a light-bulb that can be turned on at will.

And JJ is probably to blame for starting that. He's never shied away from moving a plot along in the most laziest and convenient way possible. Her just knowing and using the mind-trick is as bad as Kirk landing on a planet within foot distance of old Spock ad Scotty.
Ok, man...I think we're just going to see some things differently, but thanks for sharing your view.i appreciate the discussion.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back