Rey's Gun TFA

Not sure if this is of interest, but I'm currently doing a buildup of my kit for another RPFer and thought I'd show one way to paint printed kits to look like aluminum.

This project started as my own blaster, which was painted in Alclad Chrome, but I wasn't really happy with the look because it was a little too "plastic chrome", so decided to redo it using a technique I came up with while doing my Hellboy Room Keys a few years ago. It's still Alclad Chrome applied with an airbrush, but the initial layer is wet-sanded down with 400 grit, slightly unevenly, and then rubbed with steel wool. After that a new layer of Chrome is misted on. This created an unevenness in the surface and makes it look very much like aluminum that has been subjected to the elements a bit, because it catches the light at different angles. Leaving the occasional "ding" in the surface adds to the idea that it's been handled a bit as well. It's a little hard to photograph, but this might give you an idea.

View attachment 604957

That technique looks amazing. VERY convincing.

Jesse

- - - Updated - - -

Oh man I would be interested in an aluminum version :)

for sure just pm me or something so I remember.

has anyone been able to obtain official measurements of the blaster yet? I know a lot of people have posted numbers, but I want to be as screen accurate in size as possible for my 3d print build.

thanks in advance!

has anyone been able to obtain official measurements of the blaster yet? I know a lot of people have posted numbers, but I want to be as screen accurate in size as possible for my 3d print build.!

I don't know that there are "official" numbers from Disney/LFL. I do know there are a lot of people who have made 3d prints, some more accurate than others. The only suggestion I could give would be to use the image below and base all your measurements from the Torx screw dimensions, which are M3 size(6mm).

new-star-wars-the-force-awakens-cards-reveal-weapons-concept-art-and-more_1.jpg

There's also the Punished Props blueprint: http://punishedprops.com/shop/reys-blaster-blueprints-free/

has anyone been able to obtain official measurements of the blaster yet? I know a lot of people have posted numbers, but I want to be as screen accurate in size as possible for my 3d print build.

thanks in advance!

I would say the Greggo version is very close to accurate in its overall size, without scaling. I used M3 and M4 torx pin screws on my build of it and they looked just right in comparison to reference photos.

M3 and M4 screws are also the right size for the SE-44C First Order stormtrooper pistol according to The 5th Horseman's model, which is known to be highly accurate.

The only suggestion I could give would be to use the image below and base all your measurements from the Torx screw dimensions, which are M3 size(6mm).

I really doubt that they are M3s, that would make the small hex-screws on the receiver and barrel/flash hider M2s and those are pretty frakking small.
Another point of measure (That I'm using on mine) is the size of the C96 grip panels which is also leading me to believe that this thing is bigger than it looks like.

_A

OOPS! I misspoke. I'm using m4 Torx (I looked at the wrong receipt).

Here is mine - designed by @JOATRASHFX. I'm using m4 secu-torx screws for the larger screw heads and after seeing the Disneyland Launch Bay version, I'd say that it's extremely close in size, if not exactly the same.
IMG_4416.jpg

Bill Doran (@chinbeard) has his listed at 13" in length. I don't have mine in front of me, but I'd say that's about right.

Last edited:
OOPS! I misspoke. I'm using m4 Torx (I looked at the wrong receipt).

Here is mine - designed by @JOATRASHFX. I'm using m4 secu-torx screws for the larger screw heads and after seeing the Disneyland Launch Bay version, I'd say that it's extremely close in size, if not exactly the same.
View attachment 606445

Bill Doran (@chinbeard) has his listed at 13" in length. I don't have mine in front of me, but I'd say that's about right.

There are 3 sizes of screw used on the prop -- two kinds of button head and one socket head. Take another look at the reference which shows the grip button head screws should be larger than the body button head screws. The socket head screws on the barrel and side detail are smaller still. In my opinion the M3 and M4 are the right sizes for the button head screws.

Bill's build is very nice, and extremely well done, but it does appear too large. It's sized for man-hands rather than Rey-hands. Look how small the original prop is in Harrison Ford's hand in the movie.

There are 3 sizes of screw used on the prop -- two kinds of button head and one socket head. Take another look at the reference which shows the grip button head screws should be larger than the body button head screws. The socket head screws on the barrel and side detail are smaller still. In my opinion the M3 and M4 are the right sizes for the button head screws.

Bill's build is very nice, and extremely well done, but it does appear too large. It's sized for man-hands rather than Rey-hands. Look how small the original prop is in Harrison Ford's hand in the movie.

Based on this photo from Launch Bay (which I know isn't the hero prop, but it's the best we've got right now) and the M4 Torx head (8mm), it looks like the total length is around 14.5" - so Bill's design might actually be too small.

IMG_20151117_183420.jpg

I opted for imperial instead of metric and mine is approximately 11.5 inches long. My grips are almost perfect in size to my red 9 broomhandle grips.
I used 8/32 torx for the grips, 6/32 torx for the rest of the body, and M2.5 cap screws for the small screws.

IMG_9630.JPG

Here's the Greggo version, above, which measures a hair under 11" long. The lilykill is below, at just over 10" long (a bit too small). M3 and #8 (same size as M4) button head security Torx screws on both.

Apart from the shape of the upper edge of the grips I think Greggo's is the most accurate freely available version out there, but if you scale it up Lilykill's is great as well.

Last edited:
I am planning on putting up the pattern I made for this soon. Obviously I still need to size the thigh strap length, but the layout, shape and hardware to connect the strap is accurate, the best I can tell from the limited shots of it in the movie and the Rey action figure. The other end of the strap just gets a stud and hole(s) to fasten it through the ring. Something about having the blaster laying on my desk with no holster just felt wrong.

holster1.jpg holster2.jpg holster3.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, fantastic work on the holster, Redwillow!!! If you are still willing to share the pattern here, I'd love to use it as a guide to make one for my wife's Rey costume. I noticed you didn't stitch the holster...did you just glue it together with Barge or some other type of leather cement?

Art
'Jon8712'

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back