"Ghosted" shout-out to Blade Runner?

MAJSmith

Sr Member
I was watching a rerun of Season 1, Episode 6 "Sam" of the show "Ghosted" and immediately noticed this tile pattern when Adam Scott gets off the elevator. Looks strikingly familiar......

so.jpg

The tile is not specifically from Blade Runner but from a real-world building: The Ennis House and it has been featured in several other movies since the house was build in the 1930's. The Rocketeer may be the most famous beside Blade Runner.
But yeah, we see the elevator to Deckard's apartment in Blade Runner so maybe it is a reference to that?

I have heard of two official tile replicas, endorsed by the Ennis House Foundation or the Frank Lloyd Wright foundation. Most recently, Offecct Soundwave Ennis.

Last edited:
The tile is not specifically from Blade Runner but from a real-world building: The Ennis House and it has been featured in several other movies since the house was build in the 1930's. The Rocketeer and Predator 2 may be the most famous beside Blade Runner.
But yeah, we see the elevator to Deckard's apartment in Blade Runner so maybe it is a reference to that?

I have heard of two official tile replicas, endorsed by the Ennis House Foundation or the Frank Lloyd Wright foundation. Most recently, Offecct Soundwave Ennis.

Predator 2? In the penthouse? Need to watch that again.

I'm sorry, I was wrong about Predator 2. The penthouse set is clearly inspired by the Ennis House tiles but it is not the same pattern.
That movie tends to be mentioned together with the other movies that were shot at/in the Ennis house or used reproduced tiles from it.

That's really interesting. I'll have to look more closely next time. Turns out this tile shows up all over the Ghosted series, not just the elevator.

The house is has been used a lot over the decades.

First used the Ennis house as a film location in 1933 for the film: Female.

The house provided the exterior facade for the House on Haunted Hill, in 1959.

In 1975 film The film: The Day of the Locust made extensive use of the house.

And of course in 1982 Bladerunner. ;)

Its exterior also appears as "The Mansion" occupied by Angelus, Spike, and Drusilla in the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Sections of the cathedral reminiscent interior, especially the elevated dining room and fireplace, have appeared in over a dozen films including The Karate Kid Part III revealing the view of downtown Los Angeles, Black Rain, The Glimmer Man, The Replacement Killers, Rush Hour substituting for a floor of a Hong Kong skyscraper, and The Thirteenth Floor.

The house has also been used as a location for commercials, fashion magazine shoots and music videos, including 3T's "Why" featuring Michael Jackson. S Club 7's video for the single "Have You Ever" shows the band members living an everyday life in the house and Ricky Martin music video song "Vuelve".

And as stated, a few films like Predator 2 have used sets "inspired" by the Ennis house:

(From Wikipedia)
"Fillmmakers either recreated original elements of the Ennis House on sound stage sets or vaguely imitated these as in Predator 2 and several episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. After shooting the exterior scene on location for Blade Runner, the interior of Deckard's apartment was created at Warner Brothers. In the case of The Rocketeer, sections of the Ennis House were recreated in detail, including the patterned art glass, on a studio set. The Rocketeer went as far as adding an upper floor. On a smaller scale, tile casts of the block relief ornamentation were used for the Club Silencio doorframe in Mulholland Drive.

David Lynch also used Ennis House for a few segments of the show Twin Peaks in which the soap opera show-within-a-show called Invitation to Love was all shot in Ennis House."

I can see why you call yourself “Moviefreak” :) Thats’s interesting about Star Trek: TNG. I’ll for sure look that up because I’m a big TNG fan. Thanks for the info! I’ll have to find some tiles to use as a backdrop to my Blade Runner bar.

I found an Ennis house tile at a plant nursery that came from the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation. They used to cost $90 a piece online and come in different colors, but are no longer listed on the FLW foundation website. Needless to say, I walked out that day with a new 16" x 16" Ennis tile.

They do have a sweet mirror:
https://shop.franklloydwright.org/store/products/29677/Ennis-House-Mirror

I've fighting the good fight to use these in our kitchen for a backsplash:
https://www.motawi.com/products/6330-6x6-ennis-house

Hope this helps.

Just trying to contribute, Sundowner!

My dog broke my Ennis house concrete tile from one corner to the other a few weeks ago. It really looked a lot like the "image not found" icon you used to see more often. Luckily, a bit of construction adhesive and you can now barely tell it was broken.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back