Your Indiana Jones Displays - Lets see 'em

I agree. I think the reason for this is that they have used for the film a not perfect replica of the Joyeuse. But if you want do make a replica of a replica it is IMHO always good to look at the original, too.
You're right, I already did, seeked for very high resolution pictures, like this, for carving reference, but only the handle, as it's far better than the prop sword, blade shape is very different.
proxy-image-1.png

Just remembered that the sword was in the Propstore auction, the measurements are all on here:
I already used these pictures as reference, as you can see in my first post, they just mention 100x20x2,5cm, problem is camera is using quite wide angle optic, the shapes are off and real blade shape is not easy to imagine.
I made a board model, with 16cm handle and 84cm blade, I think my pommel is a bit too small, I will make a 17cm handle and 83cm blade.
I asked a indian smith for price quote, I wanted to make a viking blade and asked him before, using antique crucible steel, or maybe modern folded steel, to match the historical steel, as the movie prop has quite a IX-X th design blade, the steel should be crucible steel, like the ulfberht swords, the joyeuse pommel is from IXth, so I should consider the blade to be the oldest part, made from crucible, and original pommel and later added guard and handle, would be good.
No sheat visible in the movie, I don't remember I will download and check.
Also I found the original sword, and the maker.
2120hi.jpg

For now this is my indy-archeo display, idol, pen, fake graal but real antique mexican silver item, aha:
IMG_1299.JPG

Last edited:
But for his design of this single piece I think his skill is an issue: A crude cast taken from a burned-in motive in the palm of hand can never have so smooth lines and edges.
While I agree with you 100%, it's not his artistry that's in question, it's his interpretation of the piece itself that we just don't agree with. I think the artistry that went into this is great. I'd just like to see a more realistic version of it myself.
I think it's great to have more options than not.

Undr
While I agree with you 100%, it's not his artistry that's in question, it's his interpretation of the piece itself that we just don't agree with. I think the artistry that went into this is great. I'd just like to see a more realistic version of it myself.
I think it's great to have more options than not.
I understand your points on this, but how would you display a sharp pewter headpiece? I think relicmaker made his that way to be uniform with the other two offerings (imam & ravenbar)
But we imagine things as we do i guess.
I'm curious about the process the nazis would have used to copy tohts hand? Wax ? Plaster? Clay?

I'm curious about the process the nazis would have used to copy tohts hand? Wax ? Plaster? Clay?

Hmmm.. you mean speculative?

- not wax, because his hand would be very sensitive for hot materials...
- clay would need to long to get hard...

So my personal guess is plaster stone (gypsum).

But with this negative form they can have made the positive from out of every material they wanted -> pewter is classic.

I understand your points on this, but how would you display a sharp pewter headpiece?
I'd put in on a small plate stand and put it on my shelf. I suppose you could put it in some kind of frame too. Probably a shadowbox.
Wait...this isn't a trick question, is it?

Hmmm.. you mean speculative?

- not wax, because his hand would be very sensitive for hot materials...
- clay would need to long to get hard...

So my personal guess is plaster stone (gypsum).

But with this negative form they can have made the positive from out of every material they wanted -> pewter is classic.
There is a German archaeogical process for the copying of reliefs with paper or plaster called abklatsch. I guess they would use that

Last edited:
I'd put in on a small plate stand and put it on my shelf. I suppose you could put it in some kind of frame too. Probably a shadowbox.
Wait...this isn't a trick question, is it?
Nope, not a trick question. The cast i imagine would be very irregular in shape and not suited to a stand for round objects. The shadow box with a plaque or label would work i guess!
I'd be cool if someone tries to make this version.

el toro how was your experience working with Creations n Chrome? I've been glued to their facebook videos for the last few years. Always wanted to send a project their way.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back