Yet another Yavin Ceremony Costume W.I.P.

ataru72ita

Since I was asked to post my trials with this costume (it took almost a Year for completion), by my friend Sym-Cha, here I am for my first Rebel costume W.I.P.

Why exactly this Luke costume??
Actually it was because I found a great deal on Amazon for the Museum Replicas Official Yavin Ceremony Jacket. I bought it after having researched a bit on the Rebel Legion forum and foud that it was accepted as accurate enough.
I pulled the trigger and here it is, it came with this fantastic dress bag and with a metallic copy of the medal of Yavin:

CIMG1807.JPG
CIMG1808.JPG
CIMG1809.JPG

I started looking for suppliers that already produced the shirt, and the pants....

Actually there were very few of them.

Twin Roses, Indy Magnoli and Corellian Exports.

The first refused on my request because they stopped doing the model, the second looked to me more Han Solo oriented, then I tried contacting the third and told me that even though he did a Han solo costume they could be able to turn into a Luke black one, so I chose to give them the go!

I sent them all of my size measurements and they submitted them to their seamstress. They told me it would be a matching cotton used for the Han Shirt just black tinted, and about the trousers it was the same as Han.

Here's the revisited model they offered:

Ceremonial Shirt Front Luke.JPG
Han Solo Ceremonial Shirt Back.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent ... I just purchased the same Museum Replica's ... thanks to Mara Jade's Father ... so to have a full costume in the end would also be great :)

Chaim

Then I began scouting for accurate boots.... and by accident Todd's Costumes did at the same time the Han Solo Holster Project!:D

What a coincidence! Browsing his site I came across the Han boots which were looking to my eye exectly like Luke's in Yavin ceremony, so I hit the trigger for the whole package Han's holster (to go with the new Mauser ongoing projects)+ Han's gun belt and finally Han's Boots.

CIMG1804.JPG
CIMG1805.JPG

Last edited:
Please Alberto, try posting those pics again ... the attachments aren't working for me :wacko ... I have some nice black riding boots, which were intended for a Darth Vader build ... but might as well be used for a one of performance as Luke Ceremonial I suppose :)

Chaim

During my first months of RPF membership, I started a collaboration with Artisan Props, he did at that time a run for his great Darth Vader cods, and I commissioned one for my 1:1 Darth Vader statue. In the meantime I this costume was materializing for the very first time and I asked him, since nobody looked to have perfectly nailed the screen accurate design, if he was keen on getting the commission for a prototype. He was happy to help and I started to send him reference photos.
Sadly he disappeared from the scenes and I was definitely desperate since I thought he was the best leather artisan up to date.:cry
Fortunately all was well for him and he reappeared recently, but he told me he was too booked with his "real life work" and he could help but very slowly.
During the following month I dealt with another nice Rebel Legion prop maker mr Darthair, he is one of the most talented X-Wing pilot costume maker from top to bottom and he was commissioned by me for a complete ANH Luke X-Wing pilot costume, but since I already had my Luke EFX ANH and ESB (Thanks to R2Dan) helmet I asked him to figure out a fully functional Luke Falcon Training Helmet with removable blast shield and liftable visor.... but that's another WIP story...
Back I.T. I was chetting with Darthair and he told me about a friend of his wo was a very talented leather artisan as well, so I commissioned her the Yavin Holster.

CIMG1803.JPG CIMG1802.JPGCIMG1800.JPG

the leg strap is dark brown (looks btighter than it really is in reality) because of this very movie still:

00301.m2ts_snapshot_01.56.16_[2014.02.16_23.05.37].jpg
where You can see it is dark brown and not black.

The Belt buckle, thanks to Parts of Star Wars is the Tandy Leather blank oval Buckle.

Last edited:
Please Alberto, try posting those pics again ... the attachments aren't working for me :wacko ... I have some nice black riding boots, which were intended for a Darth Vader build ... but might as well be used for a one of performance as Luke Ceremonial I suppose :)

Chaim

I reloaded once at a time, try now, I used the RPF image load button, try reloading the thread now!

Regards,

Alberto

Then came the tailoring.

The Corellian Exports Shirt and the Trousers arrived and, despite having sent them accurate tailor measurement, they were waay too big and were sitting very badly either on me.

So came Daiva the seamstress. She was soo nice to help me with this, she's a professional and totally made a brand new tailoring model out of my reference photos.

First test fitting with the model and just a bit to adjust about neck and "V chest" positioning.

11255855_961664137197709_3804074255254418974_o.jpg11143212_961664143864375_9020001991262499312_o.jpg10986680_961664140531042_4414252672066958047_o.jpg

Here is the trouser's work in progress, we were't sure of the saddle seam height but since there's no big reference either from movie nor from promo shots, we decided not to touch its original position.

CIMG1790.JPG

Then came the side stripes, I knew they were not accurate so I ordered them from a Rebel Legion approved E-Bay supplier, You can see them in the previous shot next to the pants. At last Daiwa chose to make them from scratch using Rebel Legion measures using the same pant colour fabric.

Here I am wearing the brand new tailored model made with Linen which to me is the screen accurate fabric, if You focus Your attentions on the wrinkles of the arms and chest it's clearly to me a thick Linen fabric:

www.pinterest.com.jpgCIMG1798.JPG

CIMG1795.JPGceremony25.jpg
CIMG1796.JPGk7USffh.jpg
tumblr_mot8rba5qW1rey8wlo1_400.jpgCIMG1797.JPG

Last edited:
Ok now I also did a lot of research on the Pants fabric too. I found out being thick stretch brown Cotton Twill denim, very very similar to nowadays Levi's 514 straight leg jeans, which are soo good looking and with such a movie accurate colour and fit to my eye, but unfortunately have pockets which are almost impossible to remove and correct. So I decided not to try and give up, to stick with the thinner and slightly lighter brown Corellian Exports pants, just tailored to fit with the correct and screen accurate look.Now they are almost perfect!!!
Just FYI these are the jeans I was talking about:

$_12.JPG
$_12_1.JPG
$_57_2.JPG

Attachments

• CIMG1791.JPG
    CIMG1791.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 125
great stuff mate O_O
you even got the right anatomy for this! it will surely look great. which dye brand are you using for the shirt?

That is the seamstress model prototype,

I did use directly the heavy cotton black fabric used by Corellian exports, totally resewed based on the prototype!!

It fits great, I'll post some photos soon!

Regards,

Alberto

P.S. need to find a proper wig any advice??

Ok guys Necroposting this to show how the final costume turned out:

CIMG2044.JPG

Hope You like it, I just lack of a correct blonde wig, but considering the age of Luke in TFA I might stay like this!:lol:facepalm

Regards,

Alberto

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back