Yavin 4 scanner (ANH) - all major parts positively identified

And made a greebly for the top to mimic the precision screwdriver. It would be interesting to hear of any further discovery or information coming to light on what vintage screwdriver of the time it might have been.

So, yeah - the 3D model and print that I ended up with on mine was made from reference to on-site Tikal shoot photos of what I'm 99% sure was the greeblie on the top of the scanner. At the time of the photos, this 'thing' was tucked into a gap on the side of the Arriflex. I can't share the photos (they are pretty soft focus anyway) as they come from a first-hand source from whom I do not have explicit permission to share, but I'm still trying to track it all down. I doubt those on the shoot will remember so small and inconsequential a detail 46.5 years later so it'll be up to us to try to track it once I can get a few more and more crisply-focused images of this thing...

Dan

dickyb2001
How much does that weigh?
2.9kg. It's a hefty little thing, especially when held at arms length. My arm soon began to wobble when holding it 1 handed. Just adding the extra support underneath from the thumb of the right hand helped greatly. So as Dan mentioned before I think, I can see why it appears like this in ANH.

So, yeah - the 3D model and print that I ended up with on mine was made from reference to on-site Tikal shoot photos of what I'm 99% sure was the greeblie on the top of the scanner. At the time of the photos, this 'thing' was tucked into a gap on the side of the Arriflex. I can't share the photos (they are pretty soft focus anyway) as they come from a first-hand source from whom I do not have explicit permission to share, but I'm still trying to track it all down. I doubt those on the shoot will remember so small and inconsequential a detail 46.5 years later so it'll be up to us to try to track it once I can get a few more and more crisply-focused images of this thing...

Dan
Ah, I was thinking if there might be some other behind the scenes photos in the various archive books and reference materials that have been published over the years. I wondered if the screwdriver or set might appear in a photo being used by crew on another set / scene as it could have been there in a tool bag and used elsewhere. Just watched a video of a team re manufacturing a hero scale model Y-wing and they looked at photos from the ILM model shop to look at the model kit boxes in the backgrounds of the photos to help hunt down period kits used to find parts. Sounds like you've some good evidence of what it looks like, just need to hunt the part down. More hours of research on vintage watch/camera/tool enthusiasts Facebook groups & forums! :lol:

And good tip on the lens hood. I'll go for the ANH look. I'd left it on to protect the spot meter, but checked the lens cap does fit without the hood so I have taken the hood off.

I have wondered if no one else has posed in Rebel Fleet Trooper costume with one of these recreated scanners since your discovery back in 2018 if I could have been the first "rebel trooper" to hold one since Lorne Peterson in the original shot? :unsure:

I have wondered if no one else has posed in Rebel Fleet Trooper costume with one of these recreated scanners since your discovery back in 2018 if I could have been the first "rebel trooper" to hold one since Lorne Peterson in the original shot? :unsure:

I thought that one or two other folks had put these together, maybe from the wonderful castings, but I do not recall yet seeing any full-on rebel trooper costumed recreations including one of these scanners. Go for it - be #1! :)

Dan

2.9kg. It's a hefty little thing, especially when held at arms length. My arm soon began to wobble when holding it 1 handed. Just adding the extra support underneath from the thumb of the right hand helped greatly. So as Dan mentioned before I think, I can see why it appears like this in ANH.
That is a bit heavy.

Mine wasn't that much!!!! But this one does still have the original leather look plastic outer covering and is a little less worn. That must add the $500 difference!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back