Xenomorph Molding question

rabbit

So I've been thinking of picking up a project I completed a few years ago. My partner and I sculpted a replica of the Xenomorph. We originally had made a silicone mold and we managed to get several resin casts. I really have an itch to sculpt another Xenomorph, but we really want to be able to run casts in casting latex, ideally we would love to make a piece suitable for a cosplay. Our question is what molding material would be best to mold a life size xeno? I know the typical molding material for latex is stone, our fear is that the mold would be too cumbersome for us to lift and manipulate safely.

I've seen before other builders using Fiberglass for larger molds, would liquid latex cast in a gel coat/fiberglass mold cure correctly? I've only ever seen foam latex cured in large scale ovens in fiberglass molds.

Attached files for eyecandy
Screenshot_20200503-144318_Instagram.jpg

Smoothon.com is probably going to be your go to supplier for any direction you are going to go on mould making casting materials. I would drop them a line and see what they say. I highly recommend them as their support is top notch and they are extremely informed on the various applications and needs for all of their products.

From the little reading I have done, on the larger moulds you have to have a way to add rigidity to the casting so that deformation does not occur. And I have seen on some of the life casting which I am going to be working on that on full body casts you have the supple base material and then you top coat that with a much more durable item that will not bend or flex during a pour.

Latex will not cure well in a mold that does not absorb the moisture from it. I have tried a latex casting of a mask using a silicone mold and it was....messy. It took forever to fully cure.

I have heard of folx having luck in silicone molds by curing each layer of latex one at a time. Again I've heard it was only luck. Silicone is most likely not the way to go.

As far as the Latex casting deformation issue, I believe cold foam would do nicely to fill parts of the cast. If mounted properly the weight shouldn't be too uncomfortable. Or atleast as comfortable as 36" of foam backed latex could.possibly be.

I think using ADI's technique of mounting the head to a bicycle helmet would be the most feasible method of mounting.

Has anyone on the RPF completed a latex xeno? I know there was monsterman(sp?) Who was doing kits for awhile. I remember vaguely seeing some of the S.E.E.D suits floating around the hunterslair as well. I also have fleeting visages of memories of a member named Yarko(sp?) Who did a Berserker mask and a xeno in latex.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back