x-wing scales

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Lear60man, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wasnt there another larger scale x-wing, larger than 1/24?

2. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

God I hope not LOL. I think 1/24 is the largest production kit that has been made. I know there are one offs of other sizes, mainly 1/6 and some that are almost 1:1 but like I said they were never production kits by anyone

JDH

3. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Im not sure if he means kits Greg, there was a large "red 3" built either for jedi or just for the hell of it, its in the chronicles book, i used it for ref on my cc x, wasnt it on show at the smithsonian too? its around 4 feet or so.

4. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes the 1/24 scale X-wings were the most common ones used, and that 4 footer made for Jedi. There have been rumors ILM used some of the AMT X-wing kits for some scenes in the Jedi space battle.

5. Johda

Johda Well-Known Member

Not a rumor. Tis true. The AMT kits were used for just that in ROTJ.
    I say an x-wing in scale to the 12" SW figures on ebay a couple weeks ago but the bidding was starting at 6k. not a bad job on it though.
    Far as i know...the SS xwing is the largest production kit made to date.

6. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does anyone have any pics of the AMT x-wings used in Jedi?

Dan

7. Lear60man

Yes i was refering to the 4 footer. I would love some ref pics of that. I sound like they just X2'd the dimentions for the 1/24
    Baker

8. Maths_Hal

Maths_Hal New Member

Go to my website halstensen.com and you will find 5 pictures of it

9. Maths_Hal

Maths_Hal New Member

click on the picture for full size

10. Hermes

Hermes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That being said, wouldn´t anyone have a 1:100 or 1:10 blueprint of an X-Wing laying around, now, would you?

There might be nuts here trying to pull off a really big X-Wing here in Brasilia....

Hermes.

11. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

If you can track down some pics from the current exhibit in Singapore you will see an x-wing displayed next to the y-wing and 32" falcon. The x is clearly smaller than a the 1:24 studio model (its very tiny compated to the y). Perhaps that's one of the AMT's??

Also, there is a pic in the new 365-days book where 3 small x-wings are on a table near the 1:24 and 4' versions. They could also be the AMT versions, possibly.

I'll try to track down and post links tonight.

Dan

12. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Theres a pic of a multitude of X wings and Y wings on a table in the chronicles, all in grey primer,think they called em storybook props? the x wings look like AMT for sure.

13. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

So here's a bizarre thought...

If "studio scale" is defined as a 1:1 replica of a filming miniature and an AMT X-wing was used in the filming of ROTJ, then could the AMT kit be referred to as a "studio scale" kit???

I find that both exciting and disturbing at the same... :confused

Dan

14. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I just found out that a BSG episode used several of the Monogram raiders in a Cylon Basestar hanger deck scene.
    I would consider them SS models and I have displayed mine in my prop room as such, so yes, I would say that the AMT X-wings could be considerd SS models since they were used in the movies.

I can't see why not.

Lynn

15. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Yep, those were all the smallest 1/72 scale versions of them available.

There were also TIE interceptors in that pic as well.

Lynn

16. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

In that photo of Lucas surrounded by models and props, you can see several KENNER DIE-CAST TIES on a table. You know, the toy that duplicated the larger Kenner toy in a much smaller size, right down to the battery compartment. :confused (I think the solar panels were more accurately proportioned, though.)

It's possible they were only used for animatics, although I can imagine them being used for distance shots, TIEs teeny-tiny waaay back there in the background.

I suspect the MPC X-Wings were used for pyro--perhaps the "she's gonna blow." guy. I've never gotten around to analyzing it, though.

17. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Well i know what ill be doing later lol, scrutinising that said "shes gonna blow" guy ummm blowing so to speak lol.

18. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Come to think of it, I was thinking of the X-Wing that is blown apart that was in front of the A-Wing that crashes into the Exector bridge.

19. Lear60man

I knew there was a 4 footer out there and thanks for the links and photos. That would be a great build since you could just double the size of the 1/24. It would look great next to my 9' BA Concorde.