X-Wing Madness. Flying at last!

Re: X-Wing Madness. Finished!

That's a beautiful X-Wing, Guy. The paint and weathering are top-notch. I'm not usually a fan of the really heavily weathered stuff, but yours just looks right. I guess that's what made the Star Wars universe so believable in the first place. I think I'll be using this thread as reference for my 1/72 and 1/48 Finemolds kits.
I agree with Flintlock on the composite moon shot, a bit further back and maybe another one or two X's comped in would look awesome as a screen background (or poster).

Thanks Rats. As I've said before these are just tests for my PS skills & not actually what I want to achieve or end results, all in good time.

I have just seen the first pics of my Biggs, wow stunning work. I really cant wait to get it all together now. I've also decided she's not done yet, there is some key weathering I have completely missed from the build so I'll amend this before I take the Final ref shots.

Well it seems this isn't finished yet, I've been home for a few days & had a chance to be a way from it. Now sat here, I can see all the small details I've missed of that are integral to the look of SS Red 3, So I've been tinkering quite a lot. although it might not seem much quite a lot has been added to so far

IMG_00231.jpg

IMG_00211.jpg

IMG_00222.jpg

IMG_00241.jpg

I dont think I'll ever be truly finished with this one!

Well, Guy, I'm torn. On the one hand, you've totally nailed the look of the model in its current incarnation. On the other hand, its current form is a really depressing decomposition of its original state. If you see these X-Wings today, this is what they look like; so it could be said you've captured the brutal reality! But the other side of me fights to preserve the memory - the expectation - of its former glorious self. So I don't know quite how to feel. One thing I'm sure of though: I would consider myself extremely lucky to have this model, and ponder these questions for myself, first hand, as I marvel at the work. Absolutely first-rate.

_Mike

Thanks Mike, I understand what you mean, with this build it was my intension to make it look as close to the actual prop as it is now. I collect production pieces so for me its much more rewarding to se it displayed as a production piece (so to speak). If I had done it as an AFB it would have bugged me every time i looked at it. I think for my next X build I'm going for the memory (idealized) & am thinking of doing Red 6, as there is so little ref for it that its almost a perfect X, you cant really get it wrong if no one really knows what right is!

Oh no! I just had a call from home!

I work away from home, my stuff gets dusty, I'm not there to clean it?
In my absence it has been dusted? Grrrrrr!
I think its minor damage but she now more resembles the archive Red 3 than she should!!!!!!!!!!
:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

Nooooo! This is why Elsa doesnt even go there with my props Guy lol, she sweats when walking past them lol.
Even as a kid, Mom was banned from even the AMT kits LOL.

Hope the X wing is gonna be OK buddy, bless her for trying though :lol

lee

Thanks mate, I'm still trying to find out how bad it is but it sounds like 2 of the gun's are off, to be fare she wasn't dusting my red 3 but knocked it in the process? It sounded at first as though it had been destroyed but that was a bit of panic going on.

Mate I'm going stare crazy in my hotel in London, I'm that sick of Kings Cross & the food places round here that I just contemplated buying some Corn flakes & milk & eating them out of the sink in the bathroom. :confused:sick

Isnt that the only way to eat Cornflakes bud? LOL, im sure she's fine Guy, maybe a quick fix with a CA and your back in business....Ask the good lady of the house to snap some pics on the cell and forward them, least that way, you can sleep tonite!
Sorry to hear though buddy, not trying to make light, this is the best X ive ever seen, so i have all fingers. toes and whatever else i can manipulate crossed for you!

lee

Cheers mate, its just the gun's & no wing bits attached to em. Few. Someone is feeling pretty bad but its all good, it wouldn't be normal for me if there wasn't some kind of disaster with a build!

I'm hoping my R2 is done when I get back so its nearly time to put her to rest. I have an original Screen used Pryro X- wing piece at the moment & am trying to think of a way of displaying them together? I also have an original B/W polaroid taken of one of the X's during its paint up at ILM in 76, does anyone know of anything I can do to protect it from daylight, to stop it fading? I doubt UV glass would help & was wondering if there's a coating of some kind? I want to display all 3 together if I can.

Just got some quick shots sent to my phone of the little beast,

P290908_172301.jpg
P290908_1723.jpg

P290908_1724.jpg

I'm really chuffed with how he's come out, I just couldn't do this kind of painting even if my life depended on it. One more Biggs to go?

At last, I have my Panavise in hand & my R2 & Biggs will be with me in the morning. Tomorrow for the first time I will see this completed & Flying for the first time. I have a few days off so I can enjoy the final touches.

I'm already planning my next build & think I'm going to do Red 6 (possibly) I fancy a change from the norm & want to put my own touches into a build so it seems like a good one to do as there is only one or two pics of the ILM version I can really go to work on it,,,,,,,if I ever get a chance that is.

Its done, this has been one of the hardest things I've ever done. To try and paint the most realistic prop replica I can, I have to be honest I would never want to do this bird again as it took up so much of my time & head space but I am very proud of her. Ive even had the airbrush out again today as there was so much more I had missed off but its official this is the last time I am going to touch her! :love

I have added as many decent shots as I can so that if anyone wants to use this as ref for their own Red 3 they can. I by know means think this is the be all & end all of Red 3's but I can say its a good starting point if you want to copy the LF archive Red 3.

I have to say a massive thanks to Vincent Formosa (Lancer)for taking on the job of painting the R2 & Pilots (Bigg's), he has done a fantastic job & been a true gent through out the hole thing. I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for this kind of painting. I dont know how you do that small detail stuff Vincent but you did an amazing job, thanks. It was like Xmas opening them up this morning :lol I just cant decide which pilot to use, the Biggs is incredible but the other pilot is more in keeping with the SS Red 3, I decide later :cool

There is around 30 or so pics coming up all taken outdoors with no flash. I've included quite a few of the guns as these have a lot of paint detail on them that is integral to look of red 3. I still intend to do more comp pics but that will have to wait. Thanks for all the kind words in this thread & all the great support from everyone & I hope you enjoy looking at em as much as I do?

Onwards & upwards.

Big big thanks to Jason & LEE.

Final11.jpg

final20.jpg

Final22.jpg

Final23.jpg

Final2.jpg

Final17.jpg

Final12.jpg

Final10.jpg

Fianl7.jpg

Final14.jpg

Final19.jpg

Final25.jpg

Final27.jpg

Final29.jpg

Final3.jpg

Final31.jpg

Final33.jpg

Final34.jpg

Final7.jpg

Final9.jpg

Final8.jpg

Final4.jpg

Final30.jpg

Final28.jpg

final1.jpg

Final15.jpg

Final18.jpg

Final21.jpg

Final24.jpg

Final26.jpg

And finally, in her new home
IMG_0059-1.jpg

Last edited:

the figures looked good in the model. But I think maybe I should have dirtied artoo up a bit. His white is bloody bright amongst the rest of it.

anyway, glad you're pleased with them guy

This is so amazingly well done - I am so happy to see you knock this out of the park!!!!

Mr C...holy moley! She looks killer buddy, love this build, id kill to see it in the flesh! Wish i could take pics like that TBH lol.
Loving the collection Guy, your amassing some wonderful builds there!

lee

Thanks all,

Lee your more than welcome to pop round any time you want mate. I promise she looks better in the flesh. Just got my Tie Int up for the first time as well.

just need a B, A, Slave, Sand C, Tie & escape pod?????

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back