Wyatt and Doc

PlanoJedi

Hey guys,

I know you have seen my "Doc" before but my bud has a Wyatt costume from Tombstone and we dressed up for an outing over the weekend and wanted to share. Lot's of fun! Anyways, forgive my "non-SA" facial hair as this was a last minute thing and I wasn't sure I wanted to shave. Also, the red makeup on my eyes started out looking good but as the heat of the day wore on it seems to have ran/smeared...I look sunburned... good to know going forward! :)

Wyattanddoc1.jpg

Wyattanddoc2.jpg

KJ

Very cool! I learned something new from these photos! I never realized that Wyatt wore his guns in this configuration, which seems very odd to me, but does indeed match the way he wore them in the movie! I wonder what the story is on that.

Very well done, gents! I have pics of me as Doc somewhere, and also some as just a gunfighter. I'll have to see if I can dig them up somewhere.

While I really enjoy all of the threads on this forum, being someone who has done period reenactment of several different eras it's nice to see something so different on here once in a while.

And I really dig that you had the cup.

Art, It's known that Wyatt didn't wear a gun a lot. In Tombstone he didn't wear one until they was after the Cowboy gang, where also had the 2nd rig on his left. I always thought it was because it was a backup gun for his right hand. They always say the fasted reload is a 2nd gun and it would be easy to draw with you shooting hand. I figure Wyatt would rather shoot from his strong side. In the shootout at the OK corral scene, we see hit calmly taking aim and firing with his right hand, where doc is shooting with both. Just my $.02. :)

and people love the cup... that's one of those things people relate to... They say, "hey, do the cup thing!"...lol

100_0913.jpg

Really nicely done.. Very authentic..

That I know of, you are correct at saying that the turned pistol was a back up for the right hand.. It saved having to wear a shoulder holster.. A few well known gun slingers wore their Peacemakers this way, as majority of them weren't ambidextrous.. Though Billy The Kid would whip them both hands..

Beechy, there is also a way (though not too popular) of drawing the pistols backwards or "twist draw". Bill Hickok drew his in this way, as did Charlie Prince in the remake of 3:10 to Yuma. In this way, the butts of the guns faced forward but were not "cross drawn" as many people think. Still, I think I recall Wyatt re-holstering his gun on the left with his right hand while holding the the reins in his left hand. I think it was the scene when Ike took his sash off and let it go with Wyatt and the gang behind him... A good reason to watch Tombstone again! lol

Aww man, these are awesome costumes. Tombstone is still one of my all-time favorite westerns.

So, for your portrayal of Doc, did you learn to speak any Latin? :lol

Beechy, there is also a way (though not too popular) of drawing the pistols backwards or "twist draw". Bill Hickok drew his in this way, as did Charlie Prince in the remake of 3:10 to Yuma. In this way, the butts of the guns faced forward but were not "cross drawn" as many people think. Still, I think I recall Wyatt re-holstering his gun on the left with his right hand while holding the the reins in his left hand. I think it was the scene when Ike took his sash off and let it go with Wyatt and the gang behind him... A good reason to watch Tombstone again! lol

I think you're spot on here. The reverse or twist draw just wasn't that widely popular. In fact, it was unusual enough that when folks did draw that way mention was made of it.

Speaking of ol' Wild Bill, I present for your viewing pleasure:
Picture002-1.jpg

Picture008-1.jpg

I do have the rig with the Officer's eagle buckle and the red sash. Just never got a chance to do the full outfit. Yet. Now you've got me wanting to do it.

It's possible the second gun, worn crossdraw, was to make it easier to draw when on a horse. Look at the position of the strong side pistol, when you're on a horse, and galloping along, it'll be harder to draw strong side. but reaching across will be a bit easier.

at least that's what I'm thinking. I know I have a cross draw holster for my X-Wing pilot, since if you tried to draw a DL-44 from a hip holster ina cockpit, you might die before you clear leather lol.

Great costumes though, outstanding work on them!

Beechy: Always thought I wanted to do a Wild Bill costume... never had the hair for it though! lol The 1851 Navys are just about my favorite sidearm. I read where Hickok carried them well after the modern cartridge conversions were available. I've never fired one, but have always heard that just naturally hit their mark. Nice pistolas you have there.

Aeon: Learn? no. Memorize? Of course! In Pace Requiscate! :)

I love your costumes. Tombstone is probably my first memory of watching a movie and I was thinking of trying to make a replica of the coin Doc carries around. Do you have any idea on the size specs? Any help would be appreciated.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back