Wraith of Khan Communicator

SPDOmegaRanger

i was watching Star Trek II Wrath of Khan the other day and noticed they where using wrist watch communicators i was wondering has anyone made these or no if there a found item ?

AFAIK the wrist comms on the Reliant crew are found items, some kind of early-80s jogging accessory probably.

Starland used to sell this one, which is where I swiped the pix from

PRST2WCN_01.jpg

PRST2WCN_02.jpg

PRST2WCN_03.jpg

WOK_wristcomm.jpg

"You've... managed to COLLECT just about every other PROP but you KEEP-MISSING-THE-WRIST-COMM...
wok_still_old_FRIEND.jpg

Ironically Kirk has his most famous line in the whole movie, while talking on the wrist comm and not on his own...

"KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN."
WOK-khaaaaaan.jpg

- k

Back in the late '80s I got to visit Modern Props. They were the prop house that rented props for that movie I got to see that prop as well as the Genesis lab computers and other genesis equipment, the STII tricorder, as well as the STII spatula communicator.

The casing was a found item and described as a "jogging computer" by a former Modern Props employee but I can't say if that was the original makers name for the item. It calculated miles run, duration of the run and calories burned or something like that. The top surface was smoked plex backlit with L.E.D.s effects. I can't say how much altering of the original piece there was as I have no idea what it originally looked like.

Jogging really started to take off towards the later part of the '70s and WOK was released in '82 if I'm not mistaken. I suppose looking on Ebay for a vintage jogging item like that would be in order.

Ahem...

Guess which little old propmaker did make those???

Here is part of the story:

http://www.racprops.com/issue7/This_is_your_Life/

And the early version of the com.

I really need to find some time and fill in the Trek Film stories and pictures.

I did do a few runs of them for sale, looks like Starland had someone doing them without me, wrong lables on that one. Dare I say Koffrecastingkoft...

OF course I could not do them after 96, so it would not be recasting... per-say. Perhaps if I can hook up with Rod.com again I can do a new run.

Rich

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back