Would adult animated films be popular today?

Most mature anime movies do better straight to dvd in america. The ghost in the shell movies are a good example because that show isn't for kids who wouldn't understand half of what's going on. Plus the studios wouldn't take a risk on them. Heck i doubt the next Miazaki film (howl's castle and such) will be in a theatre.

I love the first one, haven't seen the second one.

Basically any of the darker "Japanimation" works are more adult oriented. I, personally, have not only "Ghost in the Shell" in my DVD collection, I have "Perfect Blue", "Akira", "The Ninja Scrolls" and "Wicked City."

And not to forget classics such as "Lensman", "Robot Carnival" and "Vampire Hunter D."

true. that's the thing about anime. It has so many layers going from kids stuff to x-rated. What you see on tv is just the stuff they want to make popular, i went to fye by my girlfriend's and they had a wall full of stuff i'd never heard of that looked great. Then again in japan some of the kids shows would end up censored here. The Ghost in the shell stand alone complex movie is way better than the others.
I think if the trend of looney toons being aimed at adults like in the 40s kept going we'd see more adult oriented animated movies. As one of my animation teachers put it "hannah barbara ruined animation" with stuff like the flintstones. Until then disney mostly handled kids cartoons.

lol Sadly I don't think hentai really counts as a traditional animated film.

Care to explain why?

One Thousand and One Nights (Senya Ichiya Monogatari) 1969
Cleopatra: Queen of Sex (Kureopatora) 1970

That is more "traditional" then the examples given in the first post if you are going by production date... In fact those two examples helped usher in the adult animation industry and gave birth of the 'hentai' association used today...

Not those particular movies... but animation for adults is alive and kicking. Your Family Guy, American Dad, South Park and all the shows on Adult Swim are not for kids. Of course, most of those aren't movies... unless you count the Family Guy DVD releases, South Park movie and the Aqua Teen movie.

Comedies, comedies and more comedies. How about something that from a different genre?

I'm actually surprised that the new Batwoman hasn't had a direct-to-video release given how much DC Comics is really supporting her character. That one would really be an adult PG-13 movie that isn't just violence related. It's got a female hero who's orientation is actually relevant to the story, it's got a religion of crime that uses all sorts of dark and nasty stuff to manipulate their followers, and my favorite part that will never even touch an American animated feature, an intimate dance scene with two ladies at a ball wearing tuxedoes.

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Young kids with their kiddie flicks will really ponder on that more so than violence.

:$

Oh, American animation. We don't have any gay characters, do we?

Does Batman Mask of the Phantasm count? I love that film

The film was a godsend.
Up until Nolan, I considered it the only real Batman film.

But......

"Box office
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm opened on Christmas Day 1993 in the United States in 1,506 theaters, accumulating $1,189,975 over its opening weekend. The film went on to gross $5,617,391 in the domestic total box office intake.[22] The filmmakers blamed Warner Bros. for the unsuccessful marketing campaign. Mask of the Phantasm did eventually pass its $6 million budget with its various home video releases.[7]"

Last edited by a moderator:
If they made Archer into a movie it would certainly be adult. I can't beleive sone of the stuff they do/say...oh and it's a great show as well!

Aqua-Teen-Poster.jpg

Adult animated films are still popular today but just aren't marketed and distributed well in the US.

The biggest problem is that the US doesn't tend to produce all that many animated films unless they're family-friendly and most of them aren't very good. Aside from stuff like Pixar's productions, even the good ones aren't advertised properly IMO.

The next biggest problem is the time it takes to get stuff put out here from overseas. By the time anything good gets picked up, it's already been available to anyone that wants to see it and has access to the net.

The only issue I had with going to see that movie was that I was the only sober one in the theater (drove there). There were a ton of young stoners that laughed repeatedly at the cuss words... personally, I find bleeping them out funnier. I'm not sure why.

Still loved the movie though.

The only issue I had with going to see that movie was that I was the only sober one in the theater (drove there). There were a ton of young stoners that laughed repeatedly at the cuss words... personally, I find bleeping them out funnier. I'm not sure why.

Still loved the movie though.

And it did really well for what it cost....

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (2007) - Box Office Mojo

Production Budget: $750,000

Domestic Total Gross: $5,520,368

Comedies, comedies and more comedies. How about something that from a different genre?

I'm actually surprised that the new Batwoman hasn't had a direct-to-video release given how much DC Comics is really supporting her character. That one would really be an adult PG-13 movie that isn't just violence related. It's got a female hero who's orientation is actually relevant to the story, it's got a religion of crime that uses all sorts of dark and nasty stuff to manipulate their followers, and my favorite part that will never even touch an American animated feature, an intimate dance scene with two ladies at a ball wearing tuxedoes.

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Young kids with their kiddie flicks will really ponder on that more so than violence.

:$

Oh, American animation. We don't have any gay characters, do we?

Sure there are gay characters... in comedies. Not so much in serious stuff.

I don't know. Am i the only one that has issues with anyone other than Conroy and Hamil in a Batman animated movie? Maybe I've been spoiled.

Sure there are gay characters... in comedies. Not so much in serious stuff.

I don't know. Am i the only one that has issues with anyone other than Conroy and Hamil in a Batman animated movie? Maybe I've been spoiled.

It's just your used to them

YouTube - Batman: Under the Red Hood Clip

If the movie is good it's good.
It's been a golden age of DC direct to DVD releases, the quality is really up there.

I know... and although Greenwood works, this guy doing the Joker lacks all the jovial creepiness of Hamill's Joker. Everything else seems good though.

It's just your used to them

YouTube - Batman: Under the Red Hood Clip

If the movie is good it's good.
It's been a golden age of DC direct to DVD releases, the quality is really up there.

The whole movie of under the redhood is on youtube...saved me from buying the dvd....

the movie is good, however the voices were lacking.....growing up watching batman animated series after school everyday....i got really use to conroy and hammil...

signed by hammil....
5fe897e5.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back