Working with electronics, LED's, and making original props.

Tsunemori

I'm trying to create a prop similar to a Next Generation era tricorder with LED lights inside a handheld device, but I have no idea where to begin. I know that some circuit boards have LED's and you can use light pipes to send light out, but I have no idea how to make that work? Can you buy boards with LED's on them already? Do I have to make my own light pipes? What about powering the device? Do I have to program the lights if I want different lights to blink and flash differently?

The TNG-era tricorders used some basic LED chaser circuits:

You can buy pre-made chasers or make them yourself.

If you want to get into different flashing patterns, you can build different chaser circuits. Alternatively, you can jump into some microcontroller programming like an Arduino or Raspberry Pi.

And yes, you will need a power source. Most folks use rechargeable batteries these days. But the battery capacity will depend on the needs of the circuit you end up with.

Hope that helps get you started!

Sean

The TNG-era tricorders used some basic LED chaser circuits:

You can buy pre-made chasers or make them yourself.

If you want to get into different flashing patterns, you can build different chaser circuits. Alternatively, you can jump into some microcontroller programming like an Arduino or Raspberry Pi.

And yes, you will need a power source. Most folks use rechargeable batteries these days. But the battery capacity will depend on the needs of the circuit you end up with.

Hope that helps get you started!

Sean
Yes, it does. I don't think I've ever even heard the term chaser circuit before. So, thank you for your help!

I’m not sure if these are suitable, but I found LEDs that flash and change color randomly. Just attach to 3 volts DC (two AA or AAA batteries) and go.

I always advocate the simple microcontrollers sold as children’s educational toys. Remarkably powerful and perfect for simple automation of flashing lights without complex analogue circuits.

Wow, there is a wealth of information on that one page. Thanks for sharing that.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back