Working Bladerunner Blaster-Progress Pics

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by UnitPD, May 19, 2006.

1. UnitPD

UnitPD Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have been reading the RPF for years but have not posted all that often. Here is a project I though most of you may be interested in. I am in the process of building a working Bladerunner gun from the same parts as the original gun. Thanks to all the reasearch by Richard Coyle, I am finally able to build this thing. I started by purchasing a C&S Blaster from Rich. I then bought the correct model Steyr Mannlicher SL and a Charter Arms Bulldog. After disassembling everything, I basically brought the Steyr receiver and Bulldog to a machine shop. I also brought Rich's plastic parts from the C&S Blaster. I told the machinist to copy the plastic parts. Rich's parts are so perfect to the original pieces that the machinist just took the measurements from the parts to do the work. As you can see in the pics, I still have a little work to do. The real Steyr ammo housing and the clip have to be finished, but Rich's parts fit perfectly on the real gun. Thanks to Rich's research I believe the gripframe is attached in the same way as the original. What do you guys think?

Sorry about the pics and narrative, I know they are all over the place, but I am not exactly sure what I am doing with pic posting.

[attachmentid=8118]
    [attachmentid=8120]
    [attachmentid=8119]
    [attachmentid=8121]
    [attachmentid=8123]
    [attachmentid=8122]
    [attachmentid=8116]
    [attachmentid=8115]
    [attachmentid=8124]

2. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

I fixed the pics for you and put your post at the top instead of having it at the bottom of the pics. :)

3. UnitPD

Thanks for the help

4. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic project. I'll be very interested to see more pictures of the work in progress as your build develops. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Also, it's great that you give Richard Coyle his due. His work on the C&S Blaster is legendary (and his second batch of all-metal blasters is about to ship. :D ).

Let's also give due credit to Phil Steinschneider, the "S" in "C&S." He's the guy who did most of the actual research, while Rich did the engineering and construction. I'm sure that Rich himself would tell you that the C&S blaster would have been impossible without Phil's contribution.

Again, I'm looking forward to following your WIP. Thanks for posting, and great work.

5. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

OMG. Thats what I'm talking about. One of these days, thats what I plan to do, just like my M41A project.

PM me.

6. philippes

philippes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

7. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Phil, you should change your screen name to Hugh Hefner, teasing us with such beauty that we'll never possess.

That is absolutely gorgeous.

8. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Super Cool ... Do you intend to make it fire ? Blanks? I ran across a video clip once of someone (sorry dont remember persons name) firing a supposed "real" Bladerunner blaster. Does anyone else remember or have seen this ? Was it real? I think this or an all metal one would be the ultimate piece. The gun always gave the impression that it had a little heft to it.

Kell

You guys work fast.... before I could post phillipes has answered some questions.

9. philippes

philippes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(kell @ May 19 2006, 02:18 PM) [snapback]1247015[/snapback]</div>
    It's a real gun, so it fires.

Do you mean this clip:

http://www.steinschneider.com/storage/pict...as/MVC-574W.MPG

It's of this gun.

Here's Craig Kovach firing his:

http://props.steinschneider.com/brblaster/brblaster.mpg

Phil

10. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

I thought I had explored most of your website but I've never seen the first clip before. That is an awesome prop.

Respect.

Bruce

11. UnitPD

It will fire blanks. I hope mine comes out as good as your Phil.

12. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Wow... Just WOW...

Where were you last week (with shots of that original Bulldog) when I needed you.?

Has there been any definitive, unequivocable proof that the Bulldog grip frame of the original prop was NOT blued, as your is... ?

I dunno (and I am not the expert C&S are), but the blued version seems more right to me... Frankly, I'd paint the customized portion of the frame black as well. Looks like its partially there anyway.

13. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

Very interesting.

14. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

Amazing. Can't wait to see the progress.

15. kell

kell Well-Known Member

16. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

These guns are awesome. Holy Cow.

Please post more pix details etc :)

17. Darth Infamous

Darth Infamous Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. I love your progress. Someday I hope to have a metal Bladerunner blaster. Maybe even firing. Anyways great pics and Im looking forward to more.

Carl

18. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(philippes @ May 19 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]1247019[/snapback]</div>
    Whoa. I hope that was a blank or the only round loaded. After firing he waved that thing around like a toy. He even pointed it back toward the woman speaking to him. Has he ever been on a pistol range before? Scary stuff.

Okay, now that's out of my system...

Impressive work UnitPD. Good luck with the project. I have fantasies for building a firing Han Solo ANH, but it probably won't happen. It's too much of a financial investment for how little I'd actually get to fire it. Again, good luck and keep posting progress.

19. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Very nice. Keep us posted.

20. UnitPD

I am working on attaching the Steyr endcap and bolt handle to the aluminum bolt today. My aluminum bolt is the exact same size as the one on the C&S Blaster. There is alot of metal inside the rear Steyr endcap that needs to be removed. I will attach it the same as the C&S. Pics will follow tonight.

21. UnitPD

Here are some pics of the bolt. I removed all the metal from the inside of the Steyr bolt endcap. I drilled and tapped a hole at the rear of the bolt to accept the screw from the C&S gun. Its the same screw that holds Rich's endcap on. I then put a small piece of aluminum tubing inside of the hole to the rear of the bolt. It needed a few spacers because if i just screwed it into the end of the bolt, the bolt was to short. I used small metal washers which I had, they worked out perfectly. The bolt was solid as a rock. I then filled the rear up with some JB Weld for a smooth finish. Perfect fit in the Steyr receiver

22. KarlBud420

Looking great UnitPD.

Keep the pics coming.

Bruce

23. PHArchivist

its just so cool seeing these gun components - real ones -- broken down like this.

24. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Now that's a work of art. :thumbsup

25. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

Looks great... Keep us posted.. :cheers :thumbsup

26. Bug Stomper

Bug Stomper Well-Known Member

And another one is going to be build :D :

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Stefan

27. Darth Infamous

Darth Infamous Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. Very nice :) Was it difficult to locate the Steyr piece? Ive been looking for one and Im having a tough time finding one. :) Any advice, hints or such on where one can be had??

Carl

28. UnitPD

Check gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com

29. mr.predicta

mr.predicta Well-Known Member

Mother Puss bucket.. :eek

30. UnitPD

I finished cutting down the real Steyr ammo housing and clip today. Once again I took the measurements off of Rich's model. Perfect fit. My camera is on loan. So, no pics tonight. I will take some tommorrow.

31. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

Hey How is it coming along.I can't wait to see more pics :cheers :thumbsup

32. UnitPD

I just took a few pics. I have the other trigger installed. I put a coat of flat black engine paint on it just to see what it would look like, that finish will be taken off and the entire gun will be finished in gloss and flat black Molyresin in the appropriate areas. The real Steyr trigger housing was cut down and installed. I took a little too much plastic off and had to fill in a small area. It will be painted later. The fill is the white area you see. It would have worked fine the way it was but since I have so much invested in this thing I wanted it perfect. The ammo lip was also trimmed down and installed. Everything is going well with this build. I did run into a few problems, but was able to work them out. You can see how the metal cylinder is going to go on.

A few more pics

I am trying to add one more pic, but it wont let me. It says I am greater than my per post or global limit. Whatever that means.

33. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

o my god. Between this thread and Craig Kovach's mpeg of his real steel PKD blaster firing off a round, my boxers are tied up in a knot.

pics look amazing.

34. UnitPD

I have some updated pics. I am almost done with this gun. For some reason I can't post any more pics. I keep getting a message that I have reached my global limit. Can any one help me out?

35. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, you only have one megabyte of hosting space on the board; you've already filled it up with previous pics.

You can delete some of your older pics, or use a third-party host like WC: http://www.wackychimp.com/upload.asp

Geat work on the blaster, by the way :D

-Mike

36. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

Looks good so far.See if you can post more pics as I really like to see more. :cheers :thumbsup

37. UnitPD

38. KarlBud420

:love :love :love

That looks amazing. I was wondering where this post had gone and am glad to see you've been steadily plugging away.

It looks like it weighs a ton but it probably feels just right.

Nice work, UnitPD.

Bruce

39. UnitPD

It feels just right in my hand. Solid as a rock. I have fired a coupl 44 blanks through it. It shoots very nice. I just have to add the leds to the ammo clip and I am done.

40. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

Does the Charter Arms .44 Bulldog come with a long barrel like this? I have only found the 3' barrel so far. Or is this a modified barrel sleeve?

<div class='quotetop'>(Bug Stomper @ May 21 2006, 08:00 AM) [snapback]1247927[/snapback]</div>

41. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work, UnitPD.

Having seen Phil's a few times, I know what a solid piece this pistol is when made from real parts.

KUDOS for the work done.

42. Hairyloft

Hairyloft Well-Known Member

UnitPD. great stuff really love this piece.

43. UnitPD

In respose to your question about the barrel, The barrel is actually the metal barrel from my C&S Blaster. I was able to make it fit perfectly. I pretty much butchered my C&S to make this gun. I used all of the screws from the C&S. I ended up having to use the C&S copy of the Steyr ammo housing because after painting the real Steyr ammo housing with Molyresin, I put it in the oven to cure the paint. I thought the plastic was some type of strong resin. I was wrong. It melted and was ruined. The C&S blaster is a perfect copy of the real gun parts.

44. PHArchivist

This thread is making me salivate...

45. mtpalin

mtpalin Well-Known Member

She's a real beauty. Great craftsmanship...

46. whitefall

whitefall Well-Known Member

Sweet Jesus, that is impressive.

47. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Unit PD, very nice work. Sorry to hear you had to destroy your Coyle Blaster though, be careful firing live rounds with that resin housing. Might crack it. Blanks should be OK though.

In response to videos about Craig's blaster, and because a few asked me to do this, I posted this video, which was originally intended as part of a DVD package, but the film is long dead now.

But we did have a blast running around on the Victory Ship Museum in tampa capping off blanks and cranking our knees on just about every piece of metal in the place.

And for the record, I've been to the shooting range with Craig on several occasions, and he is extremely safety conscious. The video Phil posted was blanks, and the woman you heard is on the second floor patio, not behind Craig. Just had to get that out of my system.

Anyway, if you really want to see Craig's blaster in action, check this video on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KprNdFkfTKE

Njc-----------------

48. UnitPD

49. Walter

Walter Sr Member

:eek

My god that is beautiful....

Amazing job... It has a fantastic look to it ontop of it being functional.

-Bryan

50. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(UnitPD @ Jun 28 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]1270248[/snapback]</div>
    ;)

P.S. Awesome.