Wooden movie swords.

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Aug 14 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]1300359[/snapback]</div>
Pretty interesting piece of trivia there. Are metal weapons even allowed in theater plays?
[/b]

All the time. There is a society that certifies actors and choreographers, although certification is not required to swing a sword on stage. Classes are a lot of fun, and you learn a lot. (IMHO actor certification is, however, a way to get the actors to shell out big $$ to stay current)

Fencing weapons are common (or at least the blades in period hilts), and combat-worthy broadsword blades are also available. AFS is one source.

Depending on the action I have tried to have a back-up sword on stage just in case, however most fights are rather quick and not a prolonged ‘bish-bash-bosh’. I’ve lost count of the number of broken blades I have reworked into daggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
<div class='quotetop'>(Hero of Canton @ Aug 15 2006, 12:45 AM) [snapback]1300714[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Aug 14 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]1300359[/snapback]
Pretty interesting piece of trivia there. Are metal weapons even allowed in theater plays?
[/b]

All the time. There is a society that certifies actors and choreographers, although certification is not required to swing a sword on stage. Classes are a lot of fun, and you learn a lot. (IMHO actor certification is, however, a way to get the actors to shell out big $$ to stay current)

Fencing weapons are common (or at least the blades in period hilts), and combat-worthy broadsword blades are also available. AFS is one source.

Depending on the action I have tried to have a back-up sword on stage just in case, however most fights are rather quick and not a prolonged ‘bish-bash-bosh’. I’ve lost count of the number of broken blades I have reworked into daggers.
[/b][/quote]

So you're saying you work as a stage fencer and armorour? Pretty cool occupation IMO :) . The site was pretty cool, but not many of the swords were to my taste (sorry, I guess I just gravitate to large 2H H&H to 2H+ swords :D).

Last edited by a moderator:
My sword is 98% percent complete. I just stained it with a dark walnut minwax. I will have before and after pics soon. They may be too big, so I may just send them to you once it is completely finished. I need to sand it lightly with the 320 and re-apply the stain again. Once that is done, it will be complete....

Is the susnpense killing you yet?

-arwa

<div class='quotetop'>(arwa @ Aug 15 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]1301266[/snapback]</div>
Is the susnpense killing you yet?

-arwa
[/b]

You could say that :p. I'm suprised that you went for a stained wood look rather than a realistic metallic sword look. But it's your sword and how it looks is solely up to you. Can't wait to see it finished.

Well, it will be a little longer than expected now. I read what you said, and thought about it and decided to actually try a "metal" like look. I stripped the stain as best I could and am off tomorrow to get a primer and Krylon chrome, I think. That could change though. I took shots of it though to show you just the same.

Question: If I use a sandable primer, will that help seal in the cracks and chip marks before I attempt to paint the piece?

What is a good cheap primer to use? I don't need much because this will be my last project for a long time that involves a prop.

Any help would be appreciated.

-arwa

Can't help you with primer. Sorry man :( , but I'm still a newbie to it myself. I do wish I had some when I chrome sprayed my scratch built Dooku style saber so the paint would stick better (I had to spray like 12 coats. Stupid me :p ).

<div class='quotetop'>(Jedirick @ Aug 8 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]1296637[/snapback]</div>
I'll try to do it when I get back from Chicago around the 18th. Fortunately they just happen to be where i can easily put my hands on them.
[/b]

Bumping to ask if you've gotten the swords yet.

Man, it's been quite a while and I'm still waiting to see the Robin Hood wooden props and Arwa's "mystery sword".

Take your time though, I'll be patient enough :) .

Seth

Here's a contribution - I made this version of Sting for a neighbor kid's birthday. He already had most of the metal replica swords (at 10 years of age.?), and was discouraged from playing with them. But he could use this one. It seems to have held up pretty well - the blade is oak, with various other woods (pine and poplar) used for the other parts. It was roughed out with a bandsaw, but could have been done with almost anything. Rough to final shaping was with hand tools - planes, chisels, spokeshave - and files/sandpaper for final finishing. I think that I used a polyurethane spray for a finish. Titebond wood glue and clamps to hold it together. It was a sort of spur-of-the-minute project.

sting_1.jpg

David

That does look nice. Maybe someone could use a wood burning kit and write the inscription into it and paint it silver or something like that to give it a more nicer appearence. But again, it is a very nice wooden movie sword, possibly one of the best ive seen ever.

Seth

Maybe this is the way it looked like when Bilbo found it in the Troll Cave, since he added the inscription later.

EDIT: I'm still waiting for those pics of the Robin Hood wooden swords and the "mystery sword".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lin-Si-Tar Konnair @ Dec 13 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]1377112[/snapback]</div>
NO, you´re not falling off the board. Come back here.

:)
[/b]

Hey thanks. :) I was JUST about to get gravestones for some of my threads when I saw this one had bumped. :lol

Seth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(greatwazoo42 @ Dec 13 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]1377134[/snapback]</div>
These guys might be of some help: http://www.hollowearthswordworks.com/swords.htm

I have one of their crossbows and have done fighting demos with them using their stock. The stuff they make is excellent and they do some customization. They may be able to come close to some of the designs you have in mind.
[/b]

Thank you. ebay member EasilySuede makes wooden versions of some of the swords I've been wanting to make. I must say that I'm not as into this as I was when I started this thread (I'm getting into real metal, historicaly accurate swords now, although movie weapons and custom designed historical swords tickle my fancy too), but I still try to keep up with it.

Seth

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back