Wolverine all day baby! Jackets, belts, claws, oh my.

Got my heron jacket and its awesome! Check out the pics. The fit is absolutely perfect and I couldn't be happier with all the new adjustments to the pattern.

IMG_4166.jpg
IMG_4167.jpg
IMG_4161.jpg
IMG_4164.jpg
IMG_4165.jpg

Wow Bat, the jacket looks amazing I cannot wait even more now for mine!

Thanks man! I feel ya. The worst part about this jacket is waiting for it to arrive! I missed the delivery man so had to drive 20 mins to the fedex shipping center, but there was no way I was waiting one more day if I could avoid it.

I'm really impressed with how well they nailed my measurements this time. The shoulders are perfect, the sleeve length and circumference is perfect, the length is perfect, and bottom line... its really comfortable to wear. I've never been more excited for winter to come so I can really break this thing in.

I only have one small (dare I say) "issue" or area in question. But to be honest, I'm not sure if it could be done better or not. The issue is regarding the burgundy suede "triangle" on the arms being a bit short. Meaning that there is a lot of mustard suede between where the burgundy point ends and the zipper ends (where the sleeve stripes start). I think if that suede had been extended by about 4 inches it would be perfect. May just be a result of this being a size Small jacket, and Hugh Jackman is a way bigger guy, but I would have prefered it to be extended. As it looks like the burgundy suede in the movie extends to or even past his elbow.

Much better 1BAT... and that sleeve shape is 10x better than what they first sent you.
I'm also with you on the cuff gussets, should definitely be a longer triangle and surrounding piping. There is something "off" about the chest pocket zipper angles too, but all-in-all great bang for the buck there...and they even fixed their first sizing mistake, so kudos to Heron.

Yeah... I'm banging my head against the wall on the zips. Not literally, but there's something off.

I think I mentioned that I picked up one of his OTR X1's for my son and for the price it's a great repro. Based on these pics he's done a good job on the X2.

Dan? I would think that the X2 is the most difficult of the 4. Based on the piping, etc. Is this correct? I know the detailing on the XO is extensive, but what's your take?

Thanks!

-Todd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm going to have to disagree on the zips. I've been comparing photos of my jacket on top of Dan's X2 and the pre production pics of the Bates X2 and they line up almost 100%. See what I mean below.

My Heron vs Original Bates:

IMG_4172.jpg
IMG_4174.jpg
bates1.jpg
IMG_4171.jpg
bates2.jpg

You know - I think it is just the cut of the jacket that's throwing it for me, because based on the reference points I'd almost agree with you completely. It's just that it's cut to HJ in one instance and you in the other. That's just a guess on my part, but I think that's where it's coming from.

I love the chocolate hides. How is the weight? You know, people are afraid to wear that jacket because it's bold. I think you wear it and it'll become your leather jacket just like any other. She's a beaut, my friend. A beautiful example of craftsmanship - and kudos to Tony for the work as well... This WAS the one you worked with Heron developing - correct SD?

It is very minor, and all three jackets being shown lately do have minor differences, and like I said BATS Heron's X2 is the best bang for the buck...they have done a great job and frankly is up there with the best of them, certainly blows the past offerings of this jacket style out of the water.
But the angle is off, the top end of the pocket just needs to be moved toward center 0.5" and they'll have the angle nailed.
I know my eyes aren't playing tricks. :)
x2compareheronlcbates.jpg

P - Yes, the X2 is the hardest to work with due to the piping... but keeping all four stitch lines equidistant apart on the shoulder of an Origins is no easy task either and neither is the crazy cuff construction. Amazingly putting that Origins cuff together was quite the feat for a production jacket.

Last edited:
And sometimes the original maker doesn't get the closest...
No offense to the owner, but this stripe spacing does not belong on an X2 jacket.
x2jacket003.jpg

Mmmm fuzzy dice keep rolling through my mind on this Bates example.
The gap from the maroon to the end of cuff is different from sleeve to sleeve on the same jacket...
x2jacket004.jpg

I love the feel of shag carpet...and I do think this looks cool, just quite a bit different than even that movie jacket fresh and new on the door.
x2jacket005.jpg

P - the weight of a Heron X2 is about half the weight of the equivalent Vanson, Drool posted the weight of his jacket a while back on FJ and we compared against what one of mine in the same size would be, so about 3lbs-Heron and 6+lbs-LogansCloset in the same size.

Gonna have to agree with Dan on the angle. That tweak does it for me as well.

The pics are awesome. Thanks for illustrating the missing stripe. My remaining decision is whether I leave that stripe intact with the distress job - regardless of SA. Gotta ponder that one...

On the cuff of the XO, I was really absorbed with it tonight during a particularly lopsided high school football game tonight - homecoming at Carmel High School. Its FINALLY football (and jacket) weather!

Thanks for the feedback. It has been very helpful. I'm gonna ask if you have samples of the chocolate brown shell and yellow highlight?

Honestly, I think HERON has the color of the suede right on their jacket and I think DAN has the correct version of the hide but could also go with a different color option for the suede. I don't know why, but the hide on BAT's jacket should be a little bit darker. I can see what Dan means on the pocket zippers because I feel the same. If all goes to plan, I'll be working with Jorge to build an X3 based off of my OLF, but that's up to him for a future tease ;). And I love love love that fuzzy suede on the Bates. Dan or Jorge, would it be possible to get that kind of texture on your jackets?

Man! I feel like a shark in blood-filled water! Great pics bud - exactly what I needed to make my decision. I agree on the analogy - you just want to run your hands over that mustard pile on the backside of the hides. It's a beautiful bit of work. Kudos to all who had a hand in it.

I love the chocolate hides. How is the weight? You know, people are afraid to wear that jacket because it's bold. I think you wear it and it'll become your leather jacket just like any other. She's a beaut, my friend. A beautiful example of craftsmanship - and kudos to Tony for the work as well... This WAS the one you worked with Heron developing - correct SD?

Thanks Patterson, I'm very happy with it too! For years I drooled over Magnoli's X2 (as it was the only one I could find for sale) but that $650 price tag kept me away. I will definitely be wearing it a lot. And it's really less loud in person that I thought. The photos really make the suede look more yellow, but in person they blend in much better. With a bit of distressing it will really look great.

I think this is my heaviest jacket I own, but it could also just be that its brand new and a bit stiff. Mine weighs in at 5 lbs and is probably most comparable to a 38S (if you wanted to compare to a vanson).

It is very minor, and all three jackets being shown lately do have minor differences, and like I said BATS Heron's X2 is the best bang for the buck...they have done a great job and frankly is up there with the best of them, certainly blows the past offerings of this jacket style out of the water.
But the angle is off, the top end of the pocket just needs to be moved toward center 0.5" and they'll have the angle nailed.
I know my eyes aren't playing tricks. :)

Hey Dan, Thanks for the side by side! I do see it now. But its so minor I'm not going to get worked up about it. I'm still very very pleased with this jacket and would highly recommend to anyone looking for an X2 on a budget. As you can see from comparing the photos of all three, they are all so close to identical. A couple little tweaks and Heron will be even better. :)

If you guys haven't looked into Drool's X2/X3 watchbands. I suggest you do. I just got mine within 2 days of payment and the thing is ****ing awesome. It's like sex on your wrist and the leather smells fantastic.

to be exact, the jacket weighs 5.3 Lbs in the size Small, forget to mention that the jacket was redesigned from the leather tanning process, basically it was a total redesign from the base.

In relation to the distressed color finished of the jacket it was originally requested by drool, we did many proofs to get this finished, and we used it because from the beginning the intention was the jacket look like in the screen.

P - the weight of a Heron X2 is about half the weight of the equivalent Vanson, Drool posted the weight of his jacket a while back on FJ and we compared against what one of mine in the same size would be, so about 3lbs-Heron and 6+lbs-LogansCloset in the same size.

Last edited:
If you guys haven't looked into Drool's X2/X3 watchbands. I suggest you do. I just got mine within 2 days of payment and the thing is ****ing awesome. It's like sex on your wrist and the leather smells fantastic.

LOL. I should be getting my X1 belt from him today. Can't wait! :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back