WIP: Captain America Costume *WITH PICS*

RAGE88

Hey all! I'm a newb here and have decided to start a Captain America build. The hardest part (IMO) will be doing the TORSO. I want it to look kickass and realistic (not something screen printed on spandex)

Here is my concept sketch...

DesignRoughNotes.jpg

DesignRough.jpg

I'm hoping that I can get some input on how to achieve the look I am going for.

Step 1: CREATE A MUSCLE SUIT
I think I have an idea of how to do this. I want to do a muscle suit and put it under spandex to create a more realistic look to the muscles.

Step 2: PATTERN ON SPANDEX?
What is the best way to get these patterns onto the spandex/underarmor? Is it to dye the fabric? Buy multiple spandex suits and sew them together? A one-off screen print on a white shirt?

Step 3: THE ARMOURED TOP?
I want to do a texture (like NITE OWL from the Watchmen movie) I want this to probably be a flexible rubber that I can attach/glue to the muscle suit. The other option is to do a vest with plates of armour... THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

RAGE88

Last edited:
Re: Captain America Costume - NEED HELP

Thanks Finhead! Glad to see another Edmontonian here!

I have seen those threads already. I'm looking for something more along the lines of maybe a molded body armour (like Nite Owl from Watchmen) or maybe Batman Begins? I really want the armour to look like armour and the rest to look like muscles under clothes.

Ah I see, it's a fairly indepth process to do rubber armor. Currently working on some Begins, TDK and Panther stuff as well as Ironman. If you'd like you could pm me for my email and I can explain the process to you.

Muscle suits are a bit of a pain. Very warm. I would suggest sculpted foam as opposed to stuffing, as it is more solid. Just don't make them too big, you'll look like the Hulk! As for the armour, you might want to try this-roll out a slab of clay, Chavant is great, and then indent the scales with a sculpting tool. Then, cast in rubber. I use carpetlayer's latex, as it is cheap. Experiment at first with colouring. Hope that this helps!

Thanks Looch! That sounds like a great idea. I was wondering how to do a pattern like that. Its easy to do on a computer, but to do it practically was going to be a hassle. The sculpting and casting sounds like the way to go.

also, there are some pretty good muscle suits out there, that save you a lot of work, and that you would take you a lot of time to get something close :)

but they are not cheap :/

Yeah... I gave some thought to a flex designs muscle suit... but thought it might be fun to attempt to do one myself

Hey Rage88, I did a similar project for this years NY ComicCon, your idea for your top is AWESOME!!!! I really like how you designed the look of it! I posted some pics on it under Ultimate Captain America. I actually was lucky to find Spidey4Fun, he is on here and an amazing costume designer. He worked on my top and did an awesome, AWESOME, job! You should send him a message.

DSC9323-L.jpg

Hey Rage88, I did a similar project for this years NY ComicCon, your idea for your top is AWESOME!!!! I really like how you designed the look of it! I posted some pics on it under Ultimate Captain America. I actually was lucky to find Spidey4Fun, he is on here and an amazing costume designer. He worked on my top and did an awesome, AWESOME, job! You should send him a message.

DSC9323-L.jpg

I've seen your thread before OmanTortuga.... you did an AMAZING job! I have heard of Spidey4Fun... but I assumed his thing was printing on fabric. I guess I could use a shirt similar to the one you are wearing to put over my muscle suit and under the Armour. I'll have to look Spidey4Fun up.

I am really hoping to do some sort of molded vest/armour for the upper peice and a separate piece consisting of a muscle suit under a spandex/underarmor type shirt. I want it to look as realistic as possible

Thanks for the heads up OmanTortuga!

If you want to go for extreme accuracy to the comic in regards to the scales: put them under the fabric and over the muscle suit.

If you want to go for extreme accuracy to the comic in regards to the scales: put them under the fabric and over the muscle suit.

Not going for comic accurate... but more of a movie style costume (the way I would design it) I know that in the comics originally, the scale mail armor was under his shirt... but that has seemed to have changed in recent incarnations of the character.

Hope it works out for you-shoot me a message if you have any questions, okay?

Re: WIP: Captain America Costume with Photos

Well... the build has begun. I am still working out the design of the costume's mask/helmet and the upper body at this time. I have however received my first purchase for the costume through the mail. I introduce you to...

Gloves_Front.jpg
Gloves_Palm.jpg

Tough Gloves Ultra™ Enforcer Leather Gauntlets ($65.95 USD) in "Chestnut"

The colour is a very dark red (might be too dark) It looks just like the colour of DD's costume in the recent Ben Affleck movie. I might have to dye them a lighter tone (although it is a cool dark red)

I have also purchased a shield from captainrossi
http://www.therpf.com/f13/captain-america-shields-129144/

I will post photos when it arrives.

Now for the embarrassing part. There is no hiding the fact that I am FAT (not phat) and I DO NOT WANT TO BE A FAT CAPTAIN AMERICA!!! So after Christmas I will starting a work out regiment to get in that "Captain America Shape" But since this is a work in progress thread... I figured I would also include the physical transformation on there.

This is me today at 265lbs...
photo6.jpg
photo2.jpg

I plan/hope to be around 215-220lbs for this costume. The Cap mask is from my brothers cheap store bought costume from this Halloween. I figured if I was going to embarrass my self... might as well do it right!! (THIS IS NOT MY CAP MASK FOR THIS BUILD... JUST A WAY TO HIDE MY SHAME!!)

I am going to go to a custom boot place here in Edmonton later this week or early next week and see what we can do about boots. I have been looking at some Doc Martens boots that I could alter, but thought I would talk with the local guys and check my options out.

More to come soon.

Rage88

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back