Winter Soldier - Let the Cosplay adventure begin

Fergal667

So - after months of watching YouTube videos and gathering resources I have today begun work on making my daughter's Winter Soldier costume. It will be a combination of self made / bought accessories but I am a complete novice at this.

Thought I would start with a pistol. Used Inkscape to create a template around an image and then transferred onto EVA foam.

The one thing which hasn't worked as well as I thought it would is the contact cement. Think I might need to sand down the sides I am going to glue but even two coats didn't stick together immediately as well as I thought it would. Perhaps I wasn't putting enough on?

Any clues or suggestions would be welcome.

Here is the end product of the rough outline.Loads of filling, sanding, smoothing and detailing to do yet. This is just the basic shape.

Attachments

• IMG_7477.jpg
    IMG_7477.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 312
  • IMG_7478.jpg
    IMG_7478.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_7479.jpg
    IMG_7479.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 306
  • IMG_7480.jpg
    IMG_7480.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 308
  • IMG_7481.JPG
    IMG_7481.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 328
Hey there! Yeah, when gluing layers of foam, you have to sand off that waffle texture. The way it’s factory sealed, it’s a pain to glue. When you get to the arm, check this out: https://www.etsy.com/listing/617651790/winter-soldier-arm-foam-templates?ref=shop_home_active_2

it’s a very nice and simple template that you could probably scale down to fit. There’s also a video tutorial. So, even if you don’t use the template, the video might be helpful. :)

Have fun!

Thanks so much for replying. I will treat this first attempt as a prototype learning exercise. Today I sanded, bevelled and filled in some gaps. May have been a bit heavy with the sealant!!

I used a silicone based sealant which many of the cosplay videos suggest but not the Kwik Seal which many recommend. It’s only available online in the UK. Think I put too much on and didn’t scrape enough off.

Now starting to add some detail. And I will then look at sealing, coating and painting.

Thanks for the video link - I’ve been watching all of Shaun’s videos and he does make some really great stuff. I want to attempt a version of one of his Batman armour costumes when I have more confidence.

As a woman Winter Soldier cosplayer, I am looking forward to your progress. I was cheap and didn't build my gun. Props to you!

kcail1

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back