Windlass Conan Swords?

If you think windlass makes quality "Functional" Swords, and the test of a "Functional" sword is by swinging it to cut 2 litre pop bottles, you have a lot of learning to do! :lol
While I don't think pop bottles are the way to test a sword, I'm curious, how does one test a sword for functionality?

I am a sword maker. I make stage combat, sparring/training, and cutting swords.
I have handled both the Albion and Windlass Conan line swords. The Windlass, for the price, are actually decent blades from Windlass. Windlass is hit or miss on good swords. The conan line, seems to be a hit, especially for the price. The blades are well made (at leas the ones I have), they have massive tangs that end in a very large bolt for retaining the handles. The only thing I dislike about the windlass builds is that they press on the pommels. Mine seem to be pressed on really well, but I could see how this could be a quality control problem. Also, the castings of the bronze parts are not actually bronze, but a pot metal that's painted bronze, and the fit and finish are no where near Albions. However, again, for the price, they are decent swords, and yes, they are functional as much as a massive heavy conan sword can be functional. I have read that early releases of these swords have had issues with the pommels coming off and rattling guards and such. These issues appeared to have been fixed for the most part.

I am a sword maker. I make stage combat, sparring/training, and cutting swords.
I have handled both the Albion and Windlass Conan line swords. The Windlass, for the price, are actually decent blades from Windlass. Windlass is hit or miss on good swords. The conan line, seems to be a hit, especially for the price. The blades are well made (at leas the ones I have), they have massive tangs that end in a very large bolt for retaining the handles. The only thing I dislike about the windlass builds is that they press on the pommels. Mine seem to be pressed on really well, but I could see how this could be a quality control problem. Also, the castings of the bronze parts are not actually bronze, but a pot metal that's painted bronze, and the fit and finish are no where near Albions. However, again, for the price, they are decent swords, and yes, they are functional as much as a massive heavy conan sword can be functional. I have read that early releases of these swords have had issues with the pommels coming off and rattling guards and such. These issues appeared to have been fixed for the most part.

This is totally true, totally agree!

Hello all, I've been looking into an Atlantean myself for quite a while (came close to an Albion a few years ago but never sealed the deal) and as always doing tons of research. As most of us have found, for a decent and affordable Atlantean we are left with pretty much two choices, Marto or Windlass. I myself have just purchased a Windlass and eagerly await its arrival. But never fully satisfied I have continued my research on the sword, and I have found something very interesting. In my search I have discovered that Windlass Company purchased Marto back in 2011!!! So, it makes sense that the Windlass is probably in fact molded from Marto's molds seeing how they now own them. What we are left with are two choices, a more expensive stainless steel copy, or a cheaper, nearly identical (to the Marto) carbon steel version. Through out my searches I've also found that they are constructed nearly the same, with a full tang, threaded at the end with a nut to keep the handle on. Just wanted to throw that up on the board, though it might intrigue everyone.

I bought the Windlass Valeria sword a while back as a birthday present for my wife. Really pleased with the build quality, considering the price against other marques. Now looking to get the Atlantean for me!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back